Author Topic: Super Ultra stable Aneng 8008  (Read 5389 times)

Offline MiroS

• Regular Contributor
Re: Super Ultra stable Aneng 8008
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2019, 09:58:06 am »
The most stable Aneng 8008 is dead one or one in recycle trash. You cannot make it  safe.

Offline trobbins

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2019, 10:22:58 am »
What a woeful and worthless comment - no technical content, no actual observations.

The following users thanked this post: 001

Offline 001

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2019, 10:49:04 am »
What a woeful and worthless comment - no technical content, no actual observations.

Yea
It is typical Myros comment
He hate all asian gear

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2019, 05:27:46 pm »

Those 1808 SMT fuses might fail under a direct 60V short, but that arc won't be much longer, meaning your hand should be able to withdraw the probes easily far away from arc's maximum length.
For those cheap meters, I really can't care if it survives an arc flash, what I care most is if the operator survives.

When I say arc burning, I mean those super hot, super long arcs that can heat air to explosion and burn the operator. I just can't see 60V doing such damage.
Of course, I've never shorted 60V. The highest voltage (with unlimited current, such as a battery) I've ever shorted is 24V (floating at ~28V), and it's really not a big deal other than a brief flash. Couldn't even feel the heat.

FYI, my way of keeping meters from blowing up is not to measure current at all. My daily driver (a pocket "credit card" meter) doesn't even have a current jack.
Whenever possible, when I design a test setup, I have current sensors built in, so I only have to probe voltage, not current.
I do have meters that are safe and can measure current, but I usually find measuring voltage safer.

Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of a nominal 48VDC system, like they used to use in big telecoms switches.
The float voltage in those was around 54V or so, and you'd be amazed at the potential energy. I saw some clips a while back on various short testing they did, it was pretty impressive, and incredibly destructive   :-DD
I'll see if I can dig them out and link them in.

Some of the UPSs I've worked on have batteries with over 400VDC and a nominal Wh rating of around 400000 or so. Needless to say, I was super careful when working on those   :-/O
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: 001, blueskull

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2019, 06:02:21 pm »
Here we go, hope you find it as interesting as I did!

54V DC Battery Short Circuit
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2019, 06:07:46 pm »
Many moons ago, I worked at an old Strowger telephone exchange in the UK which had a BIG room full of single-cell lead-acid batteries, each about 3 x 3 x 4 feet wired to give 50V with big copper bus bars about 2 x 1 inches feeding through a hole in the wall.  One day someone dropped a large wrench which landed across the bus bars and created a large flash and bang; we ran across the room to see what had happened and there were 2 ends of the wrench welded to the bus bars with the center part drooped on either side and blown out like a fuse.  The exchange kept running although I expect there was a click on people's phone conversations.

I would not use my AN8008 for 400 volt work, the CAT info printed on the case is pure fiction IMHO.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2019, 06:12:22 pm »

Not exactly non-destructive testing eh?
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2019, 06:33:44 pm »

Pretty interesting clip. Thanks for sharing. At 4 minute mark, the gassing is a deadly spectacle.

The first time I saw impressive low voltage but high energy circuits was during the ultracapacitor frenzy - a video from Afrotechmods was quite interesting to watch.

https://youtu.be/EoWMF3VkI6U

That shows one thing: for professional environments use professional tools. For hobby uses regular tools are ok, unless one ventures into professional territory. Making the distinction is key.

Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2019, 07:14:25 pm »
Just make triple-sure the cable is in the volts socket and the switch is set to measure voltage and you'll be fine...  :)

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, 001

Offline 001

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2019, 11:45:38 am »
Just make triple-sure the cable is in the volts socket and the switch is set to measure voltage

interesting idea  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf