Author Topic: Suspicious Cheap 'scopes spotted on Amazon  (Read 9951 times)

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Suspicious Cheap 'scopes spotted on Amazon
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2019, 03:42:27 pm »
I too am getting "something" as my Micsig is marked as shipped. China Post  :(

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2019, 05:02:24 pm »
Bit worried now as the tracking number provided starts with LO which is trackable letter post.

Offline GerryR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2019, 08:56:13 pm »
Maybe you just bought a picture of the scope!  ::)
Still learning; good judgment comes from experience, which comes from bad judgment!!

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2019, 09:06:21 pm »
It'll be an expensive picture but it is a nice looking scope so...  ^-^

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2019, 12:13:00 am »
Also received a tracking number, LO456.

Bit worried now as the tracking number provided starts with LO which is trackable letter post.

Definitely does not mean it is a letter, I've received some LO that were at least small packet or bigger. I'm not sure if it means small though or what.
Its amazon so there is no need to worry, its just going to be effort disputing any issues (make sure to take a photo when you receive it before opening it).
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2019, 01:29:25 am »
From some web site:

What is China Post tracking number format?
Shipping option   Tracking number
China Post EMS   Ex000000000CN
China Post e-EMS   Lx000000000CN
China Post ePacket   Lx000000000CN
China Post Air Parcel   Cx000000000CN
China Post Registered Air Mail   Rx000000000CN
China Post Ordinary Small Packet Plus   Ux000000000CN

I also got a tracking number starting with LO.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 01:52:16 am by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline GerryR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2019, 01:51:11 am »
"China Post EMS is half-courier, half-postal service specifically for delivery of packages with a weight of up to 31 kg. The cost for the first 0.5 kg is about 200 RMB (30 USD), and 60 RMB (8 USD) for each extra 0.5 kg. If you want to receive your package at an early date and you are not bothered by high delivery price, this is the right delivery mode for you."

I couldn't find a definition for e-EMS, but I assume (ass-u-me!) it is a faster delivery version of the e-Packet for larger packages.  Just have to wait and see.
Still learning; good judgment comes from experience, which comes from bad judgment!!

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2019, 07:50:38 pm »
Looks like it was too good to be true, was given fake tracking number going to another city: https://t.17track.net/en#nums=LO456414619CN
They were close though which is concerning..

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2019, 11:03:39 pm »
Looks like it was too good to be true, was given fake tracking number going to another city: https://t.17track.net/en#nums=LO456414619CN
They were close though which is concerning..
Have you taken this up with Amazon yet?

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2019, 11:28:40 pm »
Have you taken this up with Amazon yet?

You can't until the delivery window expires (Late december). So amazon is arguably complicit in this scamming, in that some customers will forget about their order and not file the complaint.

edit: asked seller and they gave a refund right away, so they obviously don't want to deal with disputes.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 09:46:29 pm by thm_w »

Offline DRL

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2019, 12:35:13 am »
Just a quick report. I ended up ordering that unbranded DSO5072P 70-MHz scope that the OP had uncovered here for $99. With the $15 coupon, and a $60 discount for applying for an Amazon credit card (like I need another one!), I was left with about $30, which I covered with some Hilton points my company lets me keep for business travel. Net cost was basically zip, so I felt it was worth the risk. It took about 2 weeks, and the scope arrived today ... turns out, as some suspected, it's a fully branded Hantek 5072P, not a clone or knock-off (I guess they had to remove the Hantek logo just for the ad photo). Brand new, in the box with all the accessories; doesn't look like a refurb or a return to me. I fired it up, and all looks good so far. Only minor gripe is the 40K waveform memory ... most new-generation digital scopes routinely have a lot more.

I guess Hantek is perhaps moving on from this particular model, and is clearing out. I didn't really "need" another scope, but I must say that it's pretty swell to have a 7" color screen, and a 5" case depth for my overcrowded bench. I will likely apply the 200 MHz upgrade hack for this model that's been floating around the EEVblog & YouTube for awhile ... it seems fairly straightforward & low risk, and it will significantly widen the usable bandwidth. But for now, for my radio tasks, 70-MHz is plenty.

Very pleased with the outcome.

Jim

The following users thanked this post: don.r, thm_w, edavid, Kosmic

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2019, 01:32:35 am »
Wish I had gone for the Hantek now... haha!

Offline jsantoro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2019, 02:03:27 am »
I also ordered the DSO5072P on Nov 12. It list a USPS  tracking number generated on the 14th. USPS say awaiting package. We shall see.

Online Caliaxy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2019, 01:40:11 pm »
After narrowly missing Dave’s $8 process calibrator on aliexpress I moved fast and ordered the DSO5072P oscilloscope mentioned by the OP. I then had a change of heart (thought I shouldn’t buy something I don’t actually need just because it's cheap) and tried to cancel the order. Amazon said they can’t cancel that order, but I can email the seller, which I did. The seller cancelled the order and I got refunded within 6 hrs. I remember thinking that the too-good-to-be-true deal must have been real, because a scammer wouldn’t cancel an order (it would defeat the purpose of the scam).

Maybe the seller in OP’s message (Xinwoer) is legit, but the others are just visionary scam artists who saw the opportunity (somebody advertising a cheap real deal) and jumped on it?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 01:54:16 pm by Caliaxy »

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2019, 01:45:46 pm »
Very pleased with the outcome.

For the price, it's a very good oscilloscope. I like it.
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2019, 04:02:22 pm »
I emailed the Micsig seller to confirm the delivery address. They then sent an email back saying the package was returned with a "damaged shipping label" and refunded my money. I'll just keep an eye on the tracking number they gave me.

Offline GerryR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2019, 07:09:23 pm »
I had removed a post that I made above saying that I thought that they might be taking orders, holding the money for some amount of time to, perhaps, collect some interest, and then refunding the purchase price back to the buyer.  I removed it after reading that one of the posters did receive an item.  Well here is what happened to me:

Ordered a scope, received a tracking number, and then got an "attempted delivery" notice saying they would try again.  (Just for the record, I'm retired and here, at home, most of the time.)  I then got a notice that the item was delivered, but there was no delivery.  I went to Amazon to check the status, and low-and-behold, a refund was issued to my account.

I think I hit the nail on the head, so-to-speak.  So, don't hold your breath waiting for your order.  This is just another scam.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2019, 08:42:54 pm »
Just got a refund from amazon for the MSO5202D I ordered. Look like Amazon are proactive and detected a problem with the transaction.

Offline cliffyk

• Frequent Contributor
    • PaladinMicro
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2019, 09:12:43 pm »
I have never had a problem with Amazon--not one in 5 years...
-cliff knight-

paladinmicro.com

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2019, 09:16:25 pm »
Just got a refund from amazon for the MSO5202D I ordered. Look like Amazon are proactive and detected a problem with the transaction.
Any explanation/note came with the refund?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2019, 10:13:31 pm »
No I'm not sure why i got a refund. Here's the email i received.

Edit: found the reason in the email  :)

Hello,

We are writing to confirm that we have processed your refund in the amount of CDN$ 161.82 for your Order 702-6402591-7071448 from Rosvola.

This refund is for the following item(s):

Item: MSO5202D Digital Oscilloscope, 2 Channel Generator Recorder Analyzer Bandwidth: 200MHz D-M-M 16CH 1GSa/s USB AC(us)
Quantity: 1
ASIN: B07ZBCCDY7
Reason for refund: Account adjustment

Here's a detailed breakdown of your refund:

Item Refund: CDN$ 218.38
Item Promo Deduction*: -CDN$ 66.55
Shipping Refund: CDN$ 9.99

* Your refund reflects the amount paid for the item(s) after any promotions were applied. Promotional balances are not refundable.

Your refund is being credited as follows:

Credit Card [expiring on XXX]: CDN$ 161.82

This amount has been credited to your payment method and will appear when your bank has processed it.

Have questions about our refund policy?
Visit our Help section for more information:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=915466

Thank you for shopping at Amazon.ca.

Sincerely,

Amazon.ca Customer Service
http://www.amazon.ca
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 10:16:54 pm by Kosmic »

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2019, 11:05:04 pm »
Account adjustment. Clever.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline excitedbox

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2019, 05:55:03 pm »
They could have taken a bunch and gotten a discount from Hantek. This scope was on sale for like 111 directly from Hantek on 11.11 which is the Chinese Black Friday equivalent. The MSO was on sale for 125 if I remember correctly. Even the DSO4082C was on sale for 177 I think.

Also could have been stolen from the factory. Sometimes an employee will sneak out a box or 2 of product. We don´t know how many they had for sale so it is hard to say. Could also be someone cashing out stolen credit cards. In which case a scope is the perfect product, since it is expensive enough to only make one purchase per card and still profit, without being expensive enough for the card company to decline the purchase.

Hantek manufactures their own scopes so the theory of it being a supplier with extra scopes is unlikely. Unless they didn´t have enough capacity and contracted out to another factory temporarily which is quite common in China.

I have the MSO5202D and in the pictures the plastic looks way different than on the real one. Looks much cheaper and flat glossy.

Offline geostep

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2019, 04:39:11 pm »
More suspicious test equipment on Amazon being discussed in this thread: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/vendor-naroote-showed-up-on-amazon-$18-49-jds2032e/

- George

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf