Author Topic: BenchVue 3.0 now available – ask the BenchVue team anything  (Read 140444 times)

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
Re: BenchVue 3.0 now available – ask the BenchVue team anything
« Reply #200 on: December 17, 2016, 10:22:08 pm »
I think one of the problems with BenchVue is that each module is a 100% separate program.  Some modules save configuration in XML - others in " unknown "

So each individual module need explicit firewall pass through approval - So now I'm glad I don't have ALL 20 or so module :) It also means that functions in ONE module might not be mirrored in another module so each module act slightly different with logging and graphics - I find that annoying. You expect it to work one way - and suddenly one module does not incorporate that feature you expected. I will actually go so far as to say it is bad developer and project management.

but more in my upcoming review.

Offline coldframe

• Regular Contributor
  • Math isn't lie.
« Reply #201 on: January 13, 2017, 05:10:44 pm »
Any chance of adding the 33120A function gen to benchview ??

Thanks
Gary
I installed BenchVue Version 3.2, Still No support 33120A :palm:
Is it hard to support 33120A?
Please offer the same kind of support as always.

coldframe.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 05:16:56 pm by coldframe »

Offline BenchVue TeamTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #202 on: February 23, 2017, 09:15:07 pm »
Not "hard", but we are focusing on newer products. Now at 450 and counting! The 120 is now obsolete. Might be time to consider an upgrade to the TrueForm 335xx series.

Note that with SCPI and Command Expert blocks, you can at least control the 33120A from Test Flow (you'll have to use the 33220A command set). And with some upcoming enhancements to Command Expert, you'll soon be able to talk to the 3458A and other non-SCPI instruments!

Brian

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #203 on: February 23, 2017, 09:38:50 pm »
And with some upcoming enhancements to Command Expert, you'll soon be able to talk to the 3458A and other non-SCPI instruments!

Brian
What a great outlook, to finally use BenchVue on the 3458A
Thank you !

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #204 on: April 05, 2017, 08:04:07 pm »
The new version, BenchVue 2017 is online.

http://www.keysight.com/en/pd-2775041-pn-BV0000A/benchvue-software-platform?nid=-32133.1206973.00&cc=US&lc=eng

Notable changes:
- BenchVue 2017 supports the new “B” model apps that include instrument control, data analysis, and Test Flow
automation.
- Support for network floating licenses allows multiple users to easily share license use (requires local license
server setup).
- Updated Apps tab experience to indicate license status, “What’s New” information provided for each app.
- Ability to use and display 2 apps and Test Flow at the same time.
- Test Flow enhancements:
o Removed restrictions on model number and serial number.
o Users may now run Test Flow sequences with compatible instruments in the same series

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #205 on: April 06, 2017, 08:28:31 am »
Thanks for rendering my Benchvue Pro licence useless  :palm:
because I will now have to purchase the DMM app for my 34465A which was free before.

As far as I am concerned that's it. I hated Benchvue anyway because
of its slowness and the black hole GUI. :clap:

Moreover, because KS forced me to install Microsoft Net x.x more thanks
go to MS for messing up (deleting half) the icons on the primary monitor.

So it's SNAFU again.  :wtf:

It seems today is not my day.
BV DMM had a hard time finding my 34465A. After several attempts it finally found it. Hurray :-+
Upon trying to use the DMM app BV crashed giving me blank white screens on both monitors. |O

« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 09:21:07 am by Messtechniker »
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline Sid.BenchVueTeam

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #206 on: April 06, 2017, 03:17:25 pm »
Hi Messtechniker,
I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've been facing with BenchVue2017. Can I ask that you email us at  benchvue.support@keysight.com so we can get you back up and running with the DMM license ( you will not need re-purchase a DMM PRO license ). We will also figure out why the DMM app crashed for you.

Also, can you elaborate more on BenchVue being slow and the blackhole GUI ? I would like to make sure we capture your comments for the next update of the DMM app.

I'll let our support team know that you'll be contacting them. Just reference you talked to Sid on the EEVBlog for context.

Thanks for your patience.
Sid

The following users thanked this post: Messtechniker

Offline phs

• Contributor
Please -- Linux support!
« Reply #207 on: April 06, 2017, 05:49:47 pm »
Hi Sid,

We love our KS/Agilent/HP products and appreciate the hard work that has gone into BenchVue.   A few years ago we inherited a full license for BenchVue, and I fired it up briefly on a Virtual Machine running a personal copy of Windows XP (officially licensed).  Though we were dismayed at the size of the installation and the reliance on humongous Microsoft libraries, as well as a couple of show-stopping bugs,  it did look like BV could be useful in the future -- if it were released for Linux.  We deleted the XP VM with BV.

A number of years ago we ditched all Microsoft products to save money wasted on audits, license management, additional security requirements, and the myriad risks of agreeing to Microsoft EULA's.  The BSA can never harass us again.  Life has been great and our entire business infrastructure and development tool chain runs beautifully, Microsoft-free.  It's actually surprisingly easy, with all of the support for Linux dev tools from the vast majority of the major manufacturers these days, as well as the powerful project management, real-time collaboration, CRM, and ERP tools available.

At this point we simply don't want or need to dedicate the resources required to safely run MS products -- for our business model it would only add unnecessary risk and expense.

Though it's clear KS is now dependent on the MS framework for BV, I still want to encourage you to please release your software products on OS platforms that don't force additional risk and expense on your customers.

Thanks for your consideration, and the great hardware you folks produce.  Just wanted you to be aware of some of the issues faced by small companies struggling to keep costs down and security up by not entering into dangerous licensing terms with Microsoft.

phs

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #208 on: April 06, 2017, 06:36:17 pm »
Sid

OK cooled down a bit  now. :popcorn:

Since the network card driver was also messed up :palm:, I recovered the backup
I just made before updating Benchvue :-+, so I am basically back to square 1. :)
Will give the update a second try tomorrow and see how it goes.

Yes, I know I am using an older computer for my electronics related tasks (3.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4, 4 GB memory, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB with plenty spare space ) running W7 32 bit. All other programs I use on this computer do not tax it in any way (except  fft points over 500000 at sample rates of 192 kHz 24 bits set up on Audio Tester). But Benchvue does so massively pushing the processor to 100% over minutes.

I simply don't like that big black user interface which violates all Windows GUI guidelines. Other software (Adobe Audition CC for example) uses the same kind of GUI. Black is simply depressing. Apparently the GUI designers currently like it very much. But I don't. In the case of Adobe Audition CC it is not possible to brighten up the GUI very much. Luckily in this case I can manage quite well with the older versions (1.5 and 3.0).

Hope to get the DMM app working in trial mode.
However, I am not prepared to purchase a licence for the DMM app
as I have not used Benchvue very much in the past for the reasons given above.

Will report tomorrow how the second updating attempt goes.

Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #209 on: April 06, 2017, 07:19:08 pm »
My installation of BenchVue 2017 went alright ...

1. Remove / Uninstall the old BV completely
2. Download the BV installer from the Keysight website
3. Install BV
4. Install the DMM App so far,

No problems so far. The DMM app seems to run smoother than before.

The following users thanked this post: Dr. Frank

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #210 on: April 06, 2017, 07:27:55 pm »

3. Install BV

After upgrade to 2017 your licences/keys needs update ( new licence).
David Tu from Keysight send link to survey
http://www.keysight.com/find/benchvue-2017-upgrade-survey
And based on email it will trigger the key update.

Offline Sid.BenchVueTeam

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #211 on: April 06, 2017, 08:29:16 pm »
Hi phs,
Thanks for your note, that is good feedback for us. We ( Keysight ) have been hearing similar stories across our customers ( both small business and large corporations by the way ) regarding shifting their infrastructure away from MSFT tools. It is something we are aware of and paying close attention to. Thanks for reaching out  to provide some color on the topic.
Sid

The following users thanked this post: phs, Messtechniker

Offline Sid.BenchVueTeam

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #212 on: April 06, 2017, 08:33:56 pm »
Just a note - I would recommend waiting for David's email before filling out the form as you will need some information unique to each order.
Sid

3. Install BV

After upgrade to 2017 your licences/keys needs update ( new licence).
David Tu from Keysight send link to survey
http://www.keysight.com/find/benchvue-2017-upgrade-survey
And based on email it will trigger the key update.

Offline Sid.BenchVueTeam

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #213 on: April 06, 2017, 08:36:34 pm »
Thanks for the explanation. We do have plans to add options for a lighter theme in the future for those that don't really like the dark theme. Do let us know if you have any difficulty with the download.

Sid

I simply don't like that big black user interface which violates all Windows GUI guidelines. Other software (Adobe Audition CC for example) uses the same kind of GUI. Black is simply depressing. Apparently the GUI designers currently like it very much. But I don't. In the case of Adobe Audition CC it is not possible to brighten up the GUI very much. Luckily in this case I can manage quite well with the older versions (1.5 and 3.0).

Hope to get the DMM app working in trial mode.
However, I am not prepared to purchase a licence for the DMM app
as I have not used Benchvue very much in the past for the reasons given above.

Will report tomorrow how the second updating attempt goes.

The following users thanked this post: KE5FX, Messtechniker

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #214 on: April 06, 2017, 08:47:28 pm »
Hi phs,
Thanks for your note, that is good feedback for us. We ( Keysight ) have been hearing similar stories across our customers ( both small business and large corporations by the way ) regarding shifting their infrastructure away from MSFT tools. It is something we are aware of and paying close attention to. Thanks for reaching out  to provide some color on the topic.
From another (mostly) MS-free R&D lab: it would be nice if Keysight finally committed to a timeline for a Linux version because this has been a long standing request. Nowadays it isn't a good idea (investment) to develop engineering software which can only run on Windows.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: Sid.BenchVueTeam

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #215 on: April 06, 2017, 09:24:21 pm »

3. Install BV

Yep, upgrade spoiled the DMM Pro licensing.
Did you remove all components , including command expert, etc?

Frank

Offline Sid.BenchVueTeam

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #216 on: April 06, 2017, 09:46:59 pm »
Hi Frank, your existing PRO license will not work with BenchVue 2017. Can you please contact us at  benchvue.support@keysight.com so we can get this addressed ? Also wanted to let you know that the new licenses now come bundled with a Test Flow license to allow easy automation for your DMMs.

Sid

Frank

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #217 on: April 07, 2017, 06:44:21 am »

3. Install BV

Did this now instead of updating through the installed Benchvue prog which messed things up quite nicely. :box:

Immediately found one silly thing with the DMM app. When using the math on the 34465A to display decibels, Benchvue will not show dB but mV instead. Like -0.19 dB is displayed by BV as - 0.19 mV |O.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #218 on: April 07, 2017, 08:21:03 am »

Did this now instead of updating through the installed Benchvue prog which messed things up quite nicely. :box:
Yes, the update through the installed BenchVue software is terrible. I did this once before, it took hours and still did not work. Always best to remove it completely and then re-install the new one.

The APP updates worked it the past, just sometime you need to start the download of an APP again, when it hangs.

Offline Sid.BenchVueTeam

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #219 on: April 07, 2017, 03:59:33 pm »
This looks like a bug - Let me feed it back to the team to fix. Thanks for pointing it out !
Sid

Like -0.19 dB is displayed by BV as - 0.19 mV |O.

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #220 on: April 08, 2017, 07:26:25 am »
Hi Frank, your existing PRO license will not work with BenchVue 2017. Can you please contact us at  benchvue.support@keysight.com so we can get this addressed ? Also wanted to let you know that the new licenses now come bundled with a Test Flow license to allow easy automation for your DMMs.

Sid

Frank

Hello Sid,
I received the upgraded licenses (2EA) after filling out the survey.
Unfortunately, these are obviously annual subscription licenses only, the DMMPro App already counted down from 365d to 364d left, although the certificate indicates a "transportable, perpetual license", as before.

Is Keysight kidding me?

Frank

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #221 on: April 08, 2017, 07:48:43 am »
I received the upgraded licenses (2EA) after filling out the survey.
Unfortunately, these are obviously annual subscription licenses only, the DMMPro App already counted down from 365d to 364d left, although the certificate indicates a "transportable, perpetual license", as before.

Is Keysight kidding me?

Frank

Same here too! After going through all the hoops. :popcorn:

This licensing thing is a nuisance for all customer as it needs a lot of time (I reckon at least one hour net per licence) to go through all the hoops. As a customer you will have to add your hourly rate to the overall cost, even if a licence is free.

As past experience shows it will be cracked anyway in due time. :palm:

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #222 on: April 08, 2017, 08:46:02 am »
I am kinda pissed that you don't get logging functionality with the benchtop DMMs. It kinda seems like expected functionality but you have to pay hundreds of dollars to get it.

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #223 on: April 08, 2017, 09:14:02 am »
I am kinda pissed that you don't get logging functionality with the benchtop DMMs. It kinda seems like expected functionality but you have to pay hundreds of dollars to get it.

There are multiple free options for DMM logging, like using the Command Expert ( part of BenchVue) with Excel. Or you can use for instance Python for controlling instrument and saving to .csv files.
It is lightweight, compatible across platforms and etc.

Offline SimonD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #224 on: April 08, 2017, 09:25:07 am »
Question.
If i buy right now a used 34401A or even better a brand new 34461A can i download the Benchvue 2017 to collaborate with one of those instruments without the need to pay more money for the Software ?
Thanks!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf