Author Topic: Fluke 867B - Question about contrast  (Read 242 times)

Offline kblueTopic starter

Fluke 867B - Question about contrast
« on: April 06, 2024, 09:04:51 pm »
Greetings!

I've got myself a Fluke 867b - looks and feels like new. Except for the screen itself ... if i change the contrast-setting to the far left, everything is good to read. One step to the left, its "okay-ish" ... one more step to the left and reading values becomes difficult. Now i ask myself, should i already buy a replacement from China? Will it get worse very fast with contrast to max to be able to read something?

Are these screens "replacements", new-old-stock or already used? It's hard to find any information.

Best wishes from germany!

Offline mahi

• Regular Contributor
Re: Fluke 867B - Question about contrast
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 11:16:33 am »
Setting the contrast only affects the LCD bias voltage. It has no effect on the lifespan of the LCD, but I've noticed that it can drift away from its center position over (many) years.

I'm a bit confused by your description, though:

if i change the contrast-setting to the far left, everything is good to read.

That does indeed sound like the center point has drifted away.

One step to the left, its "okay-ish" ... one more step to the left and reading values becomes difficult.

Wait, how can you go further left than "far left"? I assume you meant one step to the right?

Anyway, the good news is the LCD voltage center point can be reset quite easily on the 867B:
  • Rotate the dial to SET UP
  • Change the contrast so that the display provides the best clarity
  • Press the "Save Set Up" soft key
  • Rotate the dial directly to the mV/HiZ position
  • Push the calibration button (hole on the right side, just below the DC barrel jack, that may be covered by a calibration sticker)
  • Press the "Set Lcd Voltage" soft key
  • Press the "Abort Cal." soft key
That's it. The new LCD voltage center position is stored!

If you change back to SET UP, the current position should be in the middle. Since you were previously at the far left, you may want to test whether you can now improve contrast even further. If the contrast gets even better, you may want to repeat the steps above to update the center position once more.

The following users thanked this post: philwong5176, kblue

Offline kblueTopic starter

Re: Fluke 867B - Question about contrast
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 12:36:26 pm »
Thank you very much! Ye, my description wasnt on point - my bad. Now everything is "back to normal" i guess. Right at center is good enough. Too far to the left, the display starts to flicker. Would be too much contrast anyway.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf