Author Topic: Can different wifi adapters be used with SDS1104X-E?  (Read 2545 times)

Offline ColdblackiceTopic starter

• Contributor
Can different wifi adapters be used with SDS1104X-E?
« on: March 06, 2019, 12:09:03 am »
I see that the recommended/official wifi adapter for the Siglent SDS1104X-E is the TP-Link TL_WN725N, but I'm wondering if a TL-WN722N could be used instead?

I currently have this adapter already and use it for other projects, and it'd be great if I could use it with the scope vs. buying a TL_WN725N. I know it's not terribly expensive and can be had for cheap, but ideally I'd prefer cutting down on devices, if possible.

My thought is that given they're so close in model, it could work, but I'm not sure if the scope has a singular predefined "driver" that will only work with the 725N or its specific chipset. If there was a way to mod the scope to change out its wifi adapter compatibility/driver, I would happily attempt that, if possible.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Can different wifi adapters be used with SDS1104X-E?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 12:53:15 am »
There can be no harm in trying your 722.
With the scope running you're flagged a note on the display when a WiFi adapter is inserted into the USB socket.

If the scopes SW doesn't recognize your 722 it will probably tell you it is not supported or it will just work.

Good luck and remember to tell us how you got on.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Coldblackice

Offline ColdblackiceTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 09:11:53 pm »
Sounds good, thanks for the info. I'll report back as soon as the scope arrives.

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 04:31:15 pm »
Sounds good, thanks for the info. I'll report back as soon as the scope arrives.

Any word on this? My 1104x-e should ship today, Saelig finally got some in, so I would like to order a WIFI adapter online somewhere. I know I have seen a few that others have found to work. I am searching the threads now, but if anyone has a good US source for a generic one that is known to work that would be great. Thanks.

UPDATE:  I have found that the TP Link brand TL-WN725N WiFi USB Dongle is the same dongle that Siglent rebrands. Actually they don't even bother rebranding it, they just use the TP Link product and call it their own for $69. Siglent even uses the TL WN725N product number.  The TP Link brand can be purchased through Amazon, OfficeMax and many other sources for about $10.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 06:27:42 pm by Old Printer »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf