Author Topic: JBC clone solder stations, handpieces, tips - handpiece connector types/pinouts?  (Read 584 times)

Offline wb0gazTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Not sure where to start with this question/topic, so if you (moderator or reader) can help me direct this question, I'd be very grateful (reply here or dm).

Question (details below) - are the connectors used on JBC clone soldering stations and handpieces documented as to function (5 or 6 pins, several types of connectors observed) - if so, where? I wish to rework my station to use a different connector (and hence handpiece) type for which a desired handpiece type is available (my station brand does not sell the desired handpiece type.)

Details:

I recently purchased a JBC clone soldering station sold (via Aliexpress) under the product  name "YIHUA 982." It uses a series of tips (called C210 and C245 depending on handpiece) which has integrated temperature sensor. My goal was to find an alternative to Metcal which has intrinsic temperature management as part of tip design. The Yihua appears to reasonably address the need/interest.

Here is the problem I wish to solve - my soldering station's LCD display (attached photo, YIHUA-982-DISPLAY.jpg) indicates support for C115 series handpiece (smallest size/power of the four tip series that appear to exist), however, the brand's presence on Aliexpress responds to messaging that they do not offer a C115 series handpiece.

This led me to realize that there are (at least) four different connector types used between handpieces and soldering stations among JBC clones that I've seen online so far:

Pin count: 5 or 6
Gender on station: Male or Female
Connector type: DIN or [edit 2/24/2024] GX16 or (similar to GX16, reverse gender, pins arranged differently, type I don't recognize) 

The YIHUA 982 has a female 5 pin connector type on the station (photo attached, YIHUA-982-STATION-CONNECTOR.jpg) of a type that I do not recognize (neither DIN nor [edit 2/24/2024] GX16), with a mating male 5 pin connector on the handpiece (photo attached, YIHUA-982-HANDPIECE-CONNECTOR.jpg)

As soldering stations (of this JBC-clone type) and handpieces are widely offered (on Aliexpress, likely elsewhere),  and handpieces are typically described with little detail (5 or 6 pins, holes or pins), I'd like to know if I can rework the connector on my station to be compatible with available handpieces (to obtain compatibility with a C115-type handpiece).

Thank you for any advice, requests for clarification, or other recommendations!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 02:45:57 pm by wb0gaz »

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor

May you are alone with this Ali Express gears and a pain to complain (taking with Chinese chicas without any plan and what about) and the pain to get it fixed...

even  on Ali Express, if you like to have the original parts it gets even more expensive as in the other reseller as world wide.

As always the quality is in question even as sold original JBC pars read on https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/brand-new-jbc-tip-stripped.408351/

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
You may or may not have found the wiring diagram below already, which (assuming it is correct) shows the wiring of various proper JBC connectors. Of course we don't know whether the clone you have gets this right.

from https://github.com/Jana-Marie/Otter-Iron-PRO/issues/16

Offline wb0gazTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Thank you, ebastler.

While the connector shown is not the same as my "dead end" Yihua 982 (who seem to use a connector not present in any other members of the population of these clones, and didn't respond to inquires at their support page or e-mail address), the schematics provide a helpful starting point!

Much appreciated!

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf