Author Topic: TDS3012B ethernet configure failure  (Read 8546 times)

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
Re: TDS3012B ethernet configure failure
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2020, 01:12:26 pm »
Hi Galen and others,
Thanks to this thread  :) I found out what caused loss of Ethernet connection after replacing the battery in my TDS3014B. When I bought the 'scope a few days ago, both RTC and Ethernet connection were flaky. The RTC is fine now.

You said (above) that you used your TL866II to copy the contents of the 3014B file (from elsewhere) into your DS1742W. I have the file but AFAIK, the TL866II does not support the DS1742W directly. Do you remember what target device you specified? Does the DS1742 allow Vcc of 5 V or above? The datasheet suggests it does but I'd rather not kill my DS1742W.

Pls select DS1220

DS1220 is 5V not 3.3V.
DS1742W is 3.3V
TL866II already has DS1742 in its list but it is also 5V.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2020, 06:19:16 am »
For what it's worth, I read/wrote a DS1742W with a TL866 before it occurred to me it was giving it 5V. It did no (apparent) damage but had I realized at the time I would not have done this. Later I wired up an adapter to one of my FPGA boards and used the switches and displays on that to manually write a few bytes.

Offline bschwand

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2022, 10:46:41 pm »
For the NVRAM, yes, I replaced the battery, as the original battery dead.  I found the scope power on hour is a very big number.  So I think can be considered as 'changed the NVRAM'. Is this related to the network connection?

In my experience with a 3034b, network will fail if nvram is corrupted.
Mine was working, i removed the nvram to make a backup and replace the battery, and it became corrupted. After that no more network connection!
The mac address shown in the configuration page had changed.
i was able to find a dump somewhere here on the eevblog. There i could see the mac address, i found an entry on my router with the old mac of the scope, put it back in ram, and then it started working. I made tests, and having an invalid mac adress set in ram resulted in no connection, even if the scope with a corrupted mac in nvram, shows a valid mac in the configuration page!

I think I am having this issue too now, suddenly my 3034 is not reachable over escope (web interface) even though it can print over ethernet just fine. I also niticed something strange, in the IP config (done over DHCP), there is an extra weird character at the end of the domain name, and it comes back even if I delete it manually.
How hard is it to remove the nvram battery and replace it ? do  need to take apart the scope entirely ? also I do not seem to be able to find an 3034 nvram dump anywhere here ?

Offline sicco

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2022, 05:02:27 am »
see https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tds-1000-2000-3000-bw-hack/msg4046458/#msg4046458 etc.
MAC address in the NVRAM must be 08:00:11:xx:xx:xx
MAC_ADDRESS_IN_NVRAM is 0x06F0.

Offline bschwand

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2022, 03:49:51 pm »
ok so if I take a blank nvram and just program the MAC, that should be enough or do I need an actual original nvram dump ?
I am not finding one for the 3034B so far...

Offline bschwand

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2022, 03:57:50 pm »
Thanks to both YetAnotherTechie and Galen I now have the Ethernet functionality on my TDS3034B restored.  :-+
With this occasion, I realized the original contents of the NVRAM had been corrupted and it contained only gibberish.
I used a dump file from somewhere here on the forum and, voila, network connectivity now works like a charm.

I have to do the same for my 3034, which dump file did you use, I can only find an nvram dump for the 3014 ...
are they compatible ?

Offline sicco

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2022, 07:40:34 am »
If i remember right then the NVRAM can be reset to factory defaults by pressing B-Trigger on front panel while powering up. The only thing that is not set then is the Ethernet MAC address. That’s because MAC must be unique for each unit.
As mentioned earlier, the MAC is stored in six bytes, and located at DS1728W address 0x6F0. The first three bytes must be 0x08, 0x00, 0x11, the next three you can pick randomly provided the same values are not used in the same network by other equipment.

You’ll need to run all the calibration utilities so that scope inputs DC offsets etc are good again.

Offline bschwand

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2022, 12:52:33 pm »
ok nice to know, but it seems the B-trig on power up does not do anything. I still have my MAC (at least it shows in the menus)
Is the nVRAM format the same for all tds30xx models ?
After I did the "upgrade" to from tds3034 to tds3054, my network is not dead. I mean, it does get a dhcp address, but no printing and no escope anymore. Going to do the DSW conversion...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf