Author Topic: TDS7104/tds7404 help needed  (Read 2873 times)

Offline acbernTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
TDS7104/tds7404 help needed
« on: May 03, 2014, 11:47:35 am »
my tds7104 is failing, it does not power up (except by shorting the power-on jumper inside, but then it still would not boot). reason being, the intel nlx motherboard (same as on csa7404) does not leave reset. the voltages are ok, so I assume it is the nlx board itself.
I got a NOS nlx board (these are standard boards from intel), obviously it has the incorrect firmware in its firmware hub (non-tektronix). I intend to replace the board in the tds, and jumper the ppc board into reset, to power it up.

so here are my questions:
-someone here said that doing so (powering a non-original nlx up with non-tektronix firmware loaded) may destroy the remaining boards. I would think, with them being reset, this should not be possible.
-how do I reprogramm the correct firmware? the bin file should be on the disk as i heard somewhere, but what tool is needed to program it?

any help is appreciated.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
Re: TDS7104/tds7404 help needed
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 04:04:19 pm »
The bios flasher is on the harddisk. I cant remebmer of it is in a hidden folder or not.
There will be no damage to scope.
Swap motherboard, boot into dos (f8 during startup , before windows gets a chance and select command prompt only , do a dir /? That should show hudden folders too.

The binary and the flashtool are in that folder. Simp,l run the exectuable and it will flash.
If your machine is a win2k based you will need to access the drive using a usb dongle , grab the files from the drive, create a bootable dos floppy and throw them on there, then boot scope from floppy.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline acbernTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: TDS7104/tds7404 help needed
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 09:19:06 pm »
thanks, that made me less nervous exchanging the board. unfortunatelly, the new baord remains in reset, indcating that the issue is elsewhere, not on the su810.
maybe the ppc board is generating the reset. not sure this is possible though. need to dig into this further. with evrything dead (in reset), it is kind of hard to debug.
any comments are wellcome.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf