Author Topic: Teardown, Repair & Upgrade of an Agilent E4405B 13.5GHz ESA-E Spectrum Analyzer  (Read 3375 times)

Offline HugoneusTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Signal Path Video Blog
You can watch the video here: [39 Minutes]
youtu.be/3R0txBEIvjQ

More videos at The Signal Path:
http://www.TheSignalPath.com

The following users thanked this post: veedub565, 2N3055, bjcuizon, CNe7532294, felixsys

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
Another nice repair video from you, thank you.
Thank you for teaching us!

I am not sure if I like your modification to LEDs for the LCD light or may be it is just the camera that does not show it correctly.
It just does not look evenly bright.

A few back light repairs I did, had better results, when I stayed with replacement tubes instead of LEDs

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline HugoneusTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Signal Path Video Blog
Another nice repair video from you, thank you.
Thank you for teaching us!

I am not sure if I like your modification to LEDs for the LCD light or may be it is just the camera that does not show it correctly.
It just does not look evenly bright.

A few back light repairs I did, had better results, when I stayed with replacement tubes instead of LEDs

It is actually pretty bright in person. The camera was on auto gain and it was hard to tell the result from that.

Offline bjcuizon

• Frequent Contributor
  • RF and Analog Electronics Enthusiast
Thanks for another great video Shahriar, I enjoyed it all throughout. :)
What video no. is the repair for the other model? I cant seem to find it.

EDIT: Doohh, I already found it. Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 06:09:09 pm by bjcuizon »
Don't mess with an Electronics Engineer, it Megahertz!

Offline suj

• Regular Contributor
Thank you Shahriar  :-+ . I was looking for a spectrum analyzer that supports harmonic mixers. I found E4407B with AYZ option that someone wanted to sell with the "LO unlock" error. Three hours with youtube  :popcorn: and your two episodes about ESA-E and I was sure I could do it. I have other spectrum analyzers, 85024A probe, generators, VNA etc but I have not bought broken measuring equipment before.
The same day when I ordered this E4407B, I also ordered CLIP manual for ESA-E and HMMC-3124/1GC1-4207 :4 frequency divider (I found in China).
The first came E4407B. In my case, the divider lost its signal if the LO frequency was greater than 6 GHz. I also had to replace the M4T28B Timekeeper battery and the volume knob were missing. I found the battery and the gray knob locally. Today a parcel with a divider chip arrived. A large hot air blower was needed because the hot air from my soldering station could not warm up enough. The effect is easy to predict. The next ESA-E had :4 damaged divider and has been repaired (+1 for statistics). My new chip is not signed with the Agilent name (probably Avago production) and I hope it will live a little.
Shahriar, you are the man!  :-+ :-+ :-+
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 12:39:25 am by suj »

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
Hi
I was wondering if anyone hacked these ESA spectrum analyzers to enable options?

some options like 1DR and 1DS (or even 1D5 for S/N > 4421) can be enabled by license key only

https://www.keysight.com/main/editorial.jspx?cc=US&lc=eng&ckey=277453&nid=-11143.0.00&id=277453

Offline hartvige

suj: Where did you order the CLIP manuals for E4407B from? Is this ArtekManuals? Their web site only lists a E4400-90310 document, which they claim cover E4401/2/3/4, but not E4407B. I would be happy to order from them, but would like to make sure it actually covers E4407B before doing so  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf