Author Topic: Is there anything in the pipeline that beats the Rigol 1054z?  (Read 1535 times)

Offline milow

• Contributor
Hello everybody,

the Rigol 1054z seems to have the best bang-for-the-buck in the sub 500/600$-region (please correct me if that's not true). Sure it has its flaws (Serial Decoder only decodes whats on the screen; Jitter issue completely solved?). Considering the past, I don't expect Rigol to fix many software related bugs. But tacking its hackability into account, it seems to be very good for its price.

Do you think there will be (or is) anything better in the sub 500-600$-region on the market in the next two years?

Best regards

milow

Offline AG6QR

• Frequent Contributor
    • AG6QR Blog
Re: Is there anything in the pipeline that beats the Rigol 1054z?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 09:30:27 pm »
Do you think there will be (or is) anything better in the sub 500-600$-region on the market in the next two years?

The other players won't stand by and let Rigol take this entire market.  Granted, maybe LeCroy, Rohde & Schwarz, and Tektronix aren't really shooting for that end of the market, but Hantek, Siglent, Instek, Owon, and similar manufacturers will play in that space, and will attempt to be competitive.

If you've been watching over the past decade, the clear trend has been toward more functionality for less money.  Look at the price history of the DS1052E.  Over about five years, it dropped from around $700 to around $330.

I don't know specifics, but I'd expect that, over the next two years, there will be price reductions and/or feature enhancements in the sub-$600 range.  That's not going out on a wild speculative limb, it's just observing the trends over the past few years and projecting them forward.

It's like buying a computer.  You know that, whenever you buy one, at whatever price point, something better will be coming in a few months or years.  Don't look at it as an investment that will grow in value.  Look at it as a depreciating asset that, nevertheless, will be worthwhile as long as you can get most of your money's worth of usefulness out of it over the first couple of years.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf