Author Topic: Tek 2465A "Var" knob source?  (Read 945 times)

Offline usuthu65Topic starter

Tek 2465A "Var" knob source?
« on: January 10, 2018, 12:47:14 am »
Hi all,

I have done a search and didn't find the answer.  I just acquired a beautiful Tek 2465A and it's missing the inner variable knob on the time knob ("Sec/Div").  From looking at pictures, this appears to be similar to the "VAR" inner knobs on the two Volts/Div.

Anyone know of a good source for this knob?  It's the only thing this scope is missing, really.  I can turn the inner shaft with my thumb so I know it works OK but it would be nice to complete it.

Also, the scope reports > 11,500 hours operation time.  How does that stack up?

Cheers
usuthu65

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
Re: Tek 2465A "Var" knob source?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 01:40:20 am »
  I have done a search and didn't find the answer.  I just acquired a beautiful Tek 2465A and it's missing the inner variable knob on the time knob ("Sec/Div").  From looking at pictures, this appears to be similar to the "VAR" inner knobs on the two Volts/Div.

Anyone know of a good source for this knob?  It's the only thing this scope is missing, really.  I can turn the inner shaft with my thumb so I know it works OK but it would be nice to complete it.
You can get it from Qservice: https://www.qservice.tv/vpasp/shopexd.asp?id=13506

Be sure to check eBay as well.

Also, the scope reports > 11,500 hours operation time.  How does that stack up?

It doesn't mean anything, since it can be reset.

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 01:45:56 am »
Thanks - I think Qservice has a few of them.  Looking forward to keeping this analog wonder alive.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 01:50:50 am »
Typically a CRT is good for about 30,000-50,000 hours of service, but that depends heavily on how hard it is driven. The condition of the CRT is probably the best indication of how much life is left in the instrument. If it has plenty of brightness and doesn't get blurry when turned up brighter than you'd want it for regular use then that suggests it's in good shape.

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 02:23:02 am »
No problem with focus/blurriness when turned up way past my normal usability range.  I think I've got a winner here.  Time will tell!

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 03:03:01 am »
Congrats on the scope, I look forward to having one someday. There is a teardown thread a couple pages down on this forum (Test Equipment). There are a number of age related issues with those scopes that if caught in time can save a lot of grief in the long run. Fortunately that series is very popular and Tek made a bunch of them. The problem spots and fixes are well documented. God luck with yours!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf