Author Topic: Tek 465 or hp 54603b?  (Read 441 times)

Offline yo0

• Regular Contributor
Tek 465 or hp 54603b?
« on: August 20, 2019, 12:50:41 pm »
Wich one to buy?, both working and same price approximately 50usd, the hp looks like is in good condition, just a missing knob, the scope will be used as general purpose and audio stuff.

Pros and cons?

Best regards.

Pio
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 03:21:18 pm by yo0 »

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Tek 465 or hp 54603b?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 01:39:01 pm »
HP Pros: automatic measurements, generally quite reliable, smaller, lighter, built in tetris, really nice user interface.

Tek pros: more bandwidth, full service manual available, easy to repair and get parts for (just buy a scrapper), also really nice interface (stays where you left it!)

HP cons: no full service manual, Whole thing is SMD, good luck finding a knob and also if the knob is missing the front panel pcb might be bust (been there), noisy fan, if it's been dropped it leads to intermittent faults galore.

Tek cons: ancient and unreliable as fuck (I've fixed many of these), attenuators flakey as hell, power supply and HT problems likely almost immediately.

If you go for the HP make sure you run full self-test on it before parting with any cash.

The following users thanked this post: yo0

Offline yo0

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 03:48:41 pm »
HP Pros: automatic measurements, generally quite reliable, smaller, lighter, built in tetris, really nice user interface.

Tek pros: more bandwidth, full service manual available, easy to repair and get parts for (just buy a scrapper), also really nice interface (stays where you left it!)

HP cons: no full service manual, Whole thing is SMD, good luck finding a knob and also if the knob is missing the front panel pcb might be bust (been there), noisy fan, if it's been dropped it leads to intermittent faults galore.

Tek cons: ancient and unreliable as fuck (I've fixed many of these), attenuators flakey as hell, power supply and HT problems likely almost immediately.

If you go for the HP make sure you run full self-test on it before parting with any cash.

i upload a photo, the missing graticule looks abnormal?

best regards

Pio

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 04:02:03 pm »
Yeah you can turn that on and off

Offline yo0

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 04:56:05 pm »
Yeah you can turn that on and off

thank you very much, i think will buy the hp, hope it is in good working order.

best regards.

Pio

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 05:28:38 pm »
Fingers crossed for you. If it's not, plenty of people on here have experience with fixing them so post back  :-+

Worst case you can resell the rest the parts for more than 50 USD. Think I made around 120 USD out of just selling the screen, power supply, knobs and case parts on one where the motherboard was cracked after someone dropped it face down on the BNCs

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 06:42:50 pm »
@ $50 each I'd get both!
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf