Author Topic: Cheap basic signal generator vs bench model ?  (Read 1882 times)

Offline lordvader88Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
Cheap basic signal generator vs bench model ?
« on: April 25, 2018, 01:40:30 pm »
I have a basic $10 XR2206 SigGen, which is only a few volts and only DC. I only really use to see if my scopes are working (I have some I'm working on). But it should be an investment to get a bench model, or even a broken 1 and try to fix it and learn. So I don't mind spending +$100-200. I love RF, so higher the freq. the better, I'm sure I'll need it.

But what do the proper bench models from the big brands really do, vs a brand new $100 FY3224S 24MHz for example (24MHz is still low I know)

Offline joseph nicholas

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Cheap basic signal generator vs bench model ?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 02:37:43 pm »
The more expensive models will give wave forms like cardiac.  Why this is in any way important is any ones guess.

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 04:13:23 pm »
Higher output frequency, higher sampling rate, higher vertical resolution, fancier displays, more built-in waveform options, standard lab-interface (GPIB,SCPI) and better accuracy.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 04:16:26 pm by BillB »

Offline lordvader88Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 04:47:37 pm »
Noob Q but are they usually full AC output? And then with DC offset ?

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 05:01:54 pm »
Yes, AC waveform with an optional, adjustable DC offset.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 05:08:42 pm »
The one purchase that really surprised me with its usefulness was the AWG. I bought it as a nice to have, but it ended up being a part of many projects and tests. Now I only regret having just one channel.

Both AC and DC settings allow you to emulate all sorts of signals. You can shift AC until it becomes DC.

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 07:08:16 pm »
You may want to look over the FY6600 thread; it may be an inexpensive solution with some hacking.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/feeltech-fy6600-60mhz-2-ch-vco-function-arbitrary-waveform-signal-generator/
It can be enhanced considerably by installing a linear power supply and a couple of op-amps; some of the forum members are working on new firmware. 
I bought one from a US warehoused company and it came with the latest firmware and have been following along with the improvements.
Feeltech is coming out with a newer model fy6800 that may bring the prices of the 6600 way down in the near future

Offline josh bowman

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 08:16:17 pm »
Hi I have a question about FY3224S (FY3200S-24M).  What does Scan rate: 1s ~ 999s / step mean?  I want to use this to sweep an FM radio to align it and need it to sweep 60 times per second.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf