Author Topic: Which oscilloscope for hobbyist?  (Read 45178 times)

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
Re: Which oscilloscope for hobbyist?
« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2015, 03:09:29 pm »
I can sympathise: as a comparison, the 7" on the 1054Z is indeed small: I generally like high density, but this is a little extreme for daily use for me, but an acceptable compromise for portability in the field. The 9" on the MDO3000 I have I find just about perfect for bench use (same resolution as the 1000Z & DS/MSO2000 series at 800x480). At the other end of the scale, the Agilent 7000 I have is a 12" beast at 1024x768 and it's a bit like Duplo in comparison.

As a comparison, for quite some time for my main day to day scope I used up until quite recently an Agilent 54642D 2+16 MSO, even though I had a selection of other 4 channel scopes about, because the UI on those scopes is just so easy to use and responsive. For almost all I did it was fine, but when messing with things like SMPS, I found I missed the extra analogue channels, and I had a 54622D hooked up to the trigger permanently in case I needed it. By the way, the wavefrom display on those scopes is 1000x255 inside a 7" 4:3 CRT, it is always super clear, but there's a lot less unnecessary chrome and other clutter on the screen than the Rigols, but that's what people expect these days.

Offline Gixy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2015, 04:09:55 pm »
I just got my MSO2072A in the mail and the one thing that stands out the most is the 8 inch screen is too small. I have the scope stilling at the back of my desk and the fonts on the screen are so small that you can barely read the words. I have to squint and move in just to decipher what's on the screen. Very annoying, I'd hate to see what it looked like on the DS1054Z because that one only has a 7 inch screen.

Also within just a few hours of use I'm already frustrate that it doesn't have 4 channels.

Hi,
As mentionned elsewhere in this forum, cases where you really need more than 2 analog channels are very rare. Don't forget that you have with your MSO2072A 16 digital channels with which you can observe the digital buses and discrete signals of your circuit.
Having also an MSO2072A (now MSO2302A...), I find only the measurement texts below the traces too small; furthermore, the character font used for those texts is less readable (Times New Roman or equivalent), and looks bad compared to others texts on the screen.
Don't worry, you have made a good choice and will have a lot of fun with this scope!
Denis

Offline khtwo2002

• Contributor
« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2016, 04:59:23 am »
I just got my MSO2072A in the mail and the one thing that stands out the most is the 8 inch screen is too small. I have the scope stilling at the back of my desk and the fonts on the screen are so small that you can barely read the words. I have to squint and move in just to decipher what's on the screen. Very annoying, I'd hate to see what it looked like on the DS1054Z because that one only has a 7 inch screen.

Also within just a few hours of use I'm already frustrate that it doesn't have 4 channels.

Dont know if this reading lens could help:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pocket-3X-A4-Full-Page-Magnifier-Sheet-Fresnel-Lens-Reading-Map-Magnifying-Loupe-/351293110162?hash=item51cab37792:g:71sAAOSw1vlUwK0e

Offline khtwo2002

• Contributor
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2016, 05:15:55 am »

Probably this one shows clearer about the magnifying effect
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XL-Full-Page-Magnifying-Sheet-Fresnel-Lens-3X-Magnification-Magnifier-UF-/161859864168?hash=item25af998668:g:RGkAAOSwl9BWINJO

Offline ornobian

• ReviewerTouch
« Reply #104 on: October 13, 2018, 07:54:24 pm »
In my opinion, Rigol DS1054Z will be the winner of the hobbyist. You will like it.
Love to read , share and write in my blog reviewertouch .

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2018, 01:46:49 am »
Yup, you're gonna dig the 1054Z, best $300 I ever spent.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf