Author Topic: tek 475 unknown correct parts values and types and try out to repair  (Read 3701 times)

Online yo0Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
hello, i have a non working tek 475, i think it is a transitional specimen (serial B271XXX), cause it has the 475a  A9 board inside. it maybe has been repaired before, the problem is i am not sure if the parts inside are the correct ones, a burned resistor (i think is 10 ohms) a dead fet 2n3819 and a "blue" tantalum capacitor 10uF 35v dead too, i cant find these parts in none of the schematics, sm and parts lists i´ve found in the net. somebody with a 475A can help me to identify the correct parts please?

the first two photos are from TekWiki 475a  A9 board, the resistor seems to be 10 ohms.

any help will be appreciated.

best regards.

Pio
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 06:34:29 pm by yo0 »

Online yo0Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: tek 475 unknown correct parts values and types
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 05:06:15 am »
ok after removal, the fet lettering appears on the pcb, Q920 = 151-1025-00 = KE4416(PN4416), now just the tant cap value remains a mistery to me  :-//.

best regards

PIo

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 05:59:45 am »
Tant is probably non critical. They’re only used for supply decoupling. Stuff a voltmeter across where it came out and measure voltage. Then pick one at least 4.7uF with 10v of overhead. Usually I just stick an electrolytic in if I’m honest. 22uF / 35v.  Tek have some pretty big holes in their manuals.

Also if there’s one tant that’s gone, there are going to be others. I think I replaced about 9 so far in my 465.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 06:01:21 am by bd139 »

Online yo0Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 06:31:15 am »
Tant is probably non critical. They’re only used for supply decoupling. Stuff a voltmeter across where it came out and measure voltage. Then pick one at least 4.7uF with 10v of overhead. Usually I just stick an electrolytic in if I’m honest. 22uF / 35v.  Tek have some pretty big holes in their manuals.

Also if there’s one tant that’s gone, there are going to be others. I think I replaced about 9 so far in my 465.

thank you!, do you replace all nine with 22Uf / 35v electrolitics without issues? if yes thats pretty interesting and practical.

best regards.

Pio

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 06:42:48 am »
Yeah. You usually take the tantalum capacitance value and double it to replace. They used tantalum originally as electrolytic capacitors were pretty crap back then but the new ones are fine for this.

I've repaired quite a few one these series of scopes. Some threads for reference:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/yet-another-465-repair-thread/

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/tektronix-465b-repair-97327/

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/tektronix-475-repair-assistance/

Worth scanning through if you get any problems.

Online yo0Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 06:54:52 am »
Yeah. You usually take the tantalum capacitance value and double it to replace. They used tantalum originally as electrolytic capacitors were pretty crap back then but the new ones are fine for this.

I've repaired quite a few one these series of scopes. Some threads for reference:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/yet-another-465-repair-thread/

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/tektronix-465b-repair-97327/

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/tektronix-475-repair-assistance/

Worth scanning through if you get any problems.

Thank you!!! :)

Pio

Online yo0Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 04:10:17 am »
tek 475a sm with schematics and parts list, found it! no good quality but good enough.

http://docmesure.free.fr/manuels/Tektronix/Serie%20400/TEK%20475/TEKTRONIX.%20475A.%20SCOPE.%20INS.%2014678.pdf

by the way the tant cap C961 is 2.2Uf /20v, the resistor R961 is 10 ohms 1/4w 5%, and the fet Q920 is 151-1025-00 = KE4416/PN4416

hope the SM helps somebody.

best regards.

Pio
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 04:13:14 am by yo0 »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 07:52:34 am »

Personally if I was replacing a tant bead with an ordinary electrolytic I would double the capacitance, but if I was replacing it with another tant bead I would make sure the rated voltage was double the operating voltage. Especially in the case of a 15V tant bead on a 13V line (in 485s).

I wouldn't replace a "silver axial" tant used in integrators such as a timebase, unless it had leaked.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 07:56:53 am »
Agreed.

The integrator caps are encapsulated ceramic rod units i think. Hence the somewhat extreme size. Never had to replace one. I did crack one open off a spare timebase and it wasn’t a tantalum unit at least.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 08:03:49 am »
The integrator caps are encapsulated ceramic rod units i think. Hence the somewhat extreme size. Never had to replace one. I did crack one open off a spare timebase and it wasn’t a tantalum unit at least.

IIRC (but it is early in the morning) I had to replace such a tant in an HP1740a timebase. But that is unusual.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 08:20:47 am »
Interesting. Worth keeping an eye on the little buggers then.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 08:27:19 am »
Interesting. Worth keeping an eye on the little buggers then.

The worst were in my first Tek 1502 TDR switching PSU - they spewed acid across the PCB and destroyed tracks. Lucky that was an easy repair, the most difficult part being finding lots of axial electrolytics to fit in the restricted vertical space.

I haven't seen that on any of my other[1] Tek1502s, but I replace those particular caps on sight.

[1] Sad. Bordering on a fetish. But they are just fun, are wonderful to watch, and do things small scopes can't. For example the 3cm resolution means you can measure connector VSWR, and their portability means I'm remembered at hamfests for measuring secondhand cables before buying them :) Must sell some of my surplus ones.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 08:41:58 am »
Nasty. At least it didn't destroy the board irreparably. I've seen a couple of boards pretty badly ruined now (including that D83).

I'd like an excuse to relieve you of one of your 1502s but I can't really justify it. Also, contrary to the church of TEA, I'm downsizing at the moment. Probably so I can get more crap in later :)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 12:14:28 pm »
Nasty. At least it didn't destroy the board irreparably. I've seen a couple of boards pretty badly ruined now (including that D83).

I'd like an excuse to relieve you of one of your 1502s but I can't really justify it. Also, contrary to the church of TEA, I'm downsizing at the moment. Probably so I can get more crap in later :)

Since they are pleasingly small and light (and robust), you could get one and still physically downsize. They give you new capabilities that are difficult with a scope. And watching a twinkling sampler's output is ... hypnotic.

There are many available on fleabay, but none are shown working. The PSU is very strange (includes a programmable UJT!) and operates in subtle ways, so they aren't as easy to get working as you might think.

Mine do work, but I'd have to mark them as "parts only", since I didn't re-install the waterproofing when reassembling them :)

Online yo0Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2018, 06:12:29 pm »
well, some advance in my repair, now i have trace and A-trigger in both channels, remain problems: unblanking in the three fastest speeds (left part of the trace fades out), also in A-intes and b-dlyd buttons press just shows a hidden single dot, need to move horizonal knob to see it, and it no pass middle screen. any clues or sugestions? by the way all voltages and ripple are ok (almost official values), just in the +50v unrregulated one 420mv AC, ah! and trigger view button just shows barely at the very bottom of screen the very superior part of what i think is a trace.

any help will be really appreciated.

best regards

Pio
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 06:31:16 pm by yo0 »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: tek 475 unknown correct parts values and types and try out to repair
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2018, 06:36:20 pm »
Unblanking being too slow... had that.  See here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/tektronix-475-repair-assistance/msg1330121/#msg1330121

Good to hear the rest is going well.

The following users thanked this post: yo0

Online yo0Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2018, 07:24:39 pm »
thank you!, do you think all the above problems are tantalum related?  :-//

best regards!

Pio

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2018, 07:28:19 pm »
For me, most of them. Also one of the coax connectors needed resoldering.

Online yo0Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2018, 02:51:32 am »

What is your prefer technic to find bad caps?

Best regards

Pio

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2018, 07:50:49 am »
Properly dead ones are short so DMM. Dying ones you can’t find easily so I tend to replace all the caps around problem areas to see if it makes a difference. A lot of the time it does.

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2018, 05:02:43 pm »
Replace all tantalum caps, they will fail soon or later.
For electrolytics use some simple ESR meter published here or Chinese component tester. 

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2018, 08:16:41 pm »

What is your prefer technic to find bad caps?

Best regards

Pio

As was mentioned by others...when it comes to the beaded tantalums just do a mass replace. I just replaced 20+ on a similar 465B. It's worth the effort and you'd be surprised what little issues it fixes. (Ripple on the traces was my fix).
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf