Products > Test Equipment

Tek CSA7404/TDS7000 repair project (Upgraded memory/CPU)

<< < (151/172) > >>

drdiff:
No Crap-acitors today. I ran killcmos and got into bios finally. Thanks. Now when I boot, I get "Incorrect System! Press any key to reboot"
 :P

coromonadalix:
find the magic recipe  for the drive ... until it sees it,   is there an auto detect mode in the ide / hhd bios settings  ?

drdiff:
Up and running! All I changed in CMOS was date/time and AGP -> PCI. (HDD was autodetect) It then came alive. :-+
Thanks for the help

Update: It's dead, Jim. Won't even power up now. Clicks off in a second.  :--

Update 2: Never give up! I tore it apart, yanked the PS to look for bad caps, found nothing. Put the PS back and tested it w/o the NLX board (there's a debug/pwron jumper on the PPC board). The power came on and the status was a ".8" on the 7seg LED. Put the NLX board back and it booted up again into a working scope. I was at this point before, then I put the case on and it wouldn't boot. I'll update after i inspect the interconnect boards under uScope then reassemble with case. Before I reassemble, I'm going to install a db9 on the back panel connected to the PPC. :-+

Update 3: Cut a hole in the chassis for a db9 - when I went to reassemble, it collided. Oops. Cut it a second time vertically and covered most of the mistake with aluminum tape. Doesn't look too bad and works great! I bought a Win7 upgrade kit from stlabs on eBay (SU810, PIII, DVD drive, 32G PATA SSD s/w preinstalled). They have a stripped down version of Win7 that boots up in reasonable time and gives me network access. Wasn't working at first, various behaviors. I contacted the seller and he suggested the riser to the NLX is fussy.

After some measurements, I found that the board wants to be parallel to the mounting plane at about 0.210" from the plate to the board bottom. This makes the card edge go into the connector without any stress with the connector at its correct position. After careful remounting, all problems are gone and it runs like a champ!

Yroger:
Good morning,
I've had a TDS 8200 for a month that wouldn't start. The problem was with the motherboard (leaky capacitors). At the same time I went through this discussion thread and checked the battery of the ppc card thinking that it was soldered on the chip so I removed the cover thinking that it was only a cover. what a disappointment when once removed I see that the battery is attached to the cover  :palm: There, I understand that the data from the chip is now gone somewhere in paradise...
Confirmation when booting unit that hangs on Tektronix software boot image. Although having acquired knowledge for repair from a hardware point of view, as far as programming is concerned, I am a beginner. I found thanks to this discussion thread how to establish a connection between my TDS and my pc via the rs232 and the J790 connector. I use as monitoring software: Advanced serial port monitor. For a week I have tried to enter various commands without success to date. Compared to what is mentioned several times throughout this discussion, I couldn't find the folder and file like many of you: c:/vxboot/vxWorks.st
I've only found this that comes closest: c:\Program Files\TDSCSA8000\Firmware\vxWorks.st
Copy my console log as it was before I started playing with it.

--- Quote ---auto-booting...

Error in boot line:
¼ÿ.þ.çðk÷N¼¯ºŒ&Ô©d‰rãaÕo.°¯2‚?È•gµ~¹ÇÙÿ.¯.ᦽ‘÷‘ÈC..́ª€.¦WQÛîu²œ.Ø.¯«pK¦ŸF
H…&¢§ÿ1ÀOé.‘.N.
¿Ëî“Ÿ_.ØÏ|ÞÜ×x%td!´bqWöIù.Ê.Ð.B.RîRSçiÔ÷Ž"ÂÌ%”R:RZGN]J¿ú°`&Ò[
¥ìƒ^…òÏ“¾Û.ôr±Ý—ð².ætƒTc¥½ŽoNæ.ŽÍccv_.•[ÿ«S2.Ô./æ .>—$i.êë€..̃ükDg§!tûϏ¸ÖmÄZÂT@:Ï0.½Æ7>
                   ^
Can't load boot file!!

[VxWorks Boot]: Starting at 0xfff00100...

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

romPost: MPC106  Walking-one passed.

romPost: MPC106 configuration passed.

romPost: First PCI access  passed.

romPost: PC87560 Walking-one passed.

romPost: PC87560 configuration passed.

romPost: DEC21554 configuration passed.

romPost: PERFORMING ROM CHECKSUM TEST...

romPost: ROM checksum passed.

romPost: PERFORMING DRAM CELL TEST...

romPost: Enabling data cache...
romPost: Data cache enabled.
romPost: Enabling instruction cache...
romPost: Instruction cache enabled.

romPost: DRAM Cell test passed.
romPost: Disabling data Cache...
romPost: Data cache disabled.
romPost: Disabling instruction cache...
romPost: Instruction cache disabled.

romPost: PERFORMING DRAM MARCH TEST WITH CACHE OFF...
romPost: Writing address to each *address...
romPost: Reading address from each *address...
romPost: DRAM march test passed...

romPost: PERFORMING DRAM MARCH TEST WITH CACHE ON...

romPost: Enabling data cache...
romPost: Data cache enabled.
romPost: Writing address to each *address...
romPost: Reading address from each *address...
romPost: DRAM march test passed...

romPost: PERFORMING DRAM WALKING-ONE  TEST...

romPost: DRAM Walking-one test passed.

romPost: PERFORMING NV-MEMORY WALKING-ONE  TEST...

romPost: NV-MEMORY Walking-one test passed.
romPost: Disabling data Cache...
romPost: Data cache disabled.
romPost: Disabling instruction cache...
romPost: Instruction cache disabled.

romPost: POWER-UP DIAGNOSTIC COMPLETE.

Hel

VxWorks System Boot

Copyright 1984-1996  Wind River Systems, Inc.

CPU: Tektronix HPP - PowerPC 740
Version: 5.3.1
BSP version: 1.0.3
Creation date: Jul 26 2002, 10:13:07

Press any key to stop auto-boot...

Here are the system properties:

Where can I find this vxworks folder ?

By this message I hope to find a help, thank you in advance. To read to you.

--- End quote ---

coromonadalix:
I dont think you have more hdd partitions

Normally vxWorks sit on the C:\     or root  if i may say

Can you re-install the scope software ?  dont know for the 8000 series

and we see after the auto booting message  you have garbage ...  corruption issues /  file issues   

I dont think  just loosing the battery would cause this ?    our  tds7254B  still booted after the dallas died on me ?  sure the cal   will take a hit,  but you should  be able to do an spc check ??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version