Author Topic: Tek CSA7404/TDS7000 repair project (Upgraded memory/CPU)  (Read 276174 times)

Offline TiNTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
Re: Tek CSA7404/TDS7000 repair project (Upgraded memory/CPU)
« Reply #150 on: October 14, 2015, 08:25:04 pm »
Fixed NVRAM again :)

YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #151 on: October 14, 2015, 08:56:50 pm »
Fixed NVRAM again :)

Hi Tin,

Since you've replaced the battery not too long ago, you may have a bad NVRAM that uses excessive current.
See page 6 reply #78 and #82 of this thread when I asked you about this observation I had on a CSA8000 I had worked on. Might want to do some current measurements - I reworked a snap-on battery by removing the battery and adding wires to do testing outside of the chassis since it's a PITA to get to.

As a side note/rant, why the fuck do T&M manufacturers put such critical data in battery backed RAM when flash has been around for 20+ years?  :-BROKE

I remember working on a plug-in for the HP 70004A mainframe (don't remember which one - sorry) that actually put the *firmware* in SRAM! |O
The battery was dead, and so (of course) was the plug-in. So sorry, no longer supported by Agilent.
*sigh*

Jay
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Offline TiNTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #152 on: October 14, 2015, 09:00:50 pm »
I measured current with new NVRAM, it was about 4uA. I guess high current issue was there in old NVSRAM, as it sucked battery within few month before. And then it was not storing/corrupting data even with fresh bat, so that's why I replaced chip.
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #153 on: October 15, 2015, 12:11:40 am »
Beautiful, thanks for sharing  :)

Offline Daxxin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #154 on: October 27, 2015, 04:37:19 am »
Hi

planning to recap my 7104 but some of caps (especially the smallest c908 etc..) cannot read values there is a pic with map of capacitor values
or schematic of martek psu? thanks

Offline TiNTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #155 on: October 27, 2015, 12:40:10 pm »
Sorry, don't have it, and I'd rather not take my scope apart, currently using it at sick 3458a.

Offline matyco

• Contributor
« Reply #156 on: October 31, 2015, 11:48:40 am »
Im restoring a TDS7404. There's some conflict with both PCMCIA controllers (Ti PCI-1225 cardbus controller, vxWorks.st wont load) on the Win2000 install, but on XP install one works so vxWorks loads, the tek app runs, but there some thing still wrong with pci bus cause the NVram can't read anything from the hdd. Diagnostics passes on all tests, only fails at misc with: 531. That means it's out of cal and the SPC also fails cause it can't write into the NVRAM) Could this be some kind of hardware or software problem ?

Update: after a Bios reset, the win2k install kept getting BSoD on startup (dbwdn.sys cannot load). But the Xp install finaly has no hardware conflict what so ever, yet the probelm that the NVRAM can't read from Hdd still consists.

Solution: well turns out there where some files missing or had wrong format, after clearing nvram db, rewriting eeprom bios and setting up new db, now it works !
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 04:11:00 pm by matyco »

Offline moore

• Contributor
« Reply #157 on: December 03, 2015, 03:24:39 am »

I just got a TDS7404, inspired by this thread!  Hopefully I am not in over my head.  Luckily it works, well, two channels anyway.  I have some basic questions:

1. It's running W98SE.  How far is it sensible to upgrade the OS?  I'd like to at least go with W2000, but if XP will run ok might try that. 
2. What preventative maintenance things should I do once inside besides the obvious - change mobo battery, clean dust...
3. Any obvious things to check on the two dead channels?  I guess I have lot of manual to read through, not even sure how to run the SPC test.  I don't have a PS/2 keyboard and mouse yet, just been poking at the screen. 

Thanks for any pointers.

Offline robert_

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #158 on: December 03, 2015, 10:12:18 pm »
Win2000 works fine and probably is the best choice. Probably the fastest and most stable version there is, anyway. We have good success (months of daily use) with a Transcend TS32GPSD330 SSD to replace the (failing) HDD.
I would give the electrolytic caps on the PC board a good look. We have a 7054 at work with its one Lelon Crapacitor having failed, causing all sorts of strange behaviour. Power supply and Acq board use high quality capacitors exclusively. Also remove the CPU heatsink, clean and apply new thermal grease, it was dried out and crumbly on ours.

Offline moore

• Contributor
« Reply #159 on: December 04, 2015, 02:55:56 pm »

Thanks for the tips Robert!  Amazingly didn't have a torx set anywhere at work, so will take one in from home today so I can open the case.  The HD is definitely a worry, IBM Deskstar, so that needs to be replaced ASAP.  It only has 256MB, so I will have to find some compatible memory and get that to 512.  Will definitely survey the caps once its apart. 

Ran all diagnostics, everything passes but SPC.  Channels 3-4 trigger, channel 2 won't trigger but can show a waveform.  Channel 1 just low level noise regardless of input.  2-4 can show 170 ps risetimes from the fastest pulse source I have, so not bad considering.   All knobs seem to work, all the basic software functions, CD, ethernet, VGA out.  Haven't tried the GPIB or parallel ports but will soon.  Overall looks like a good buy.

Will try W2000 pro on the SSD you suggest once I get them.

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #160 on: December 04, 2015, 04:20:21 pm »

Overall looks like a good buy.

I wouldn't say *that* until you get it working, unless you got it real cheap! ::)

Jay
Jay

Offline matyco

• Contributor
« Reply #161 on: December 14, 2015, 06:21:26 pm »
Ran all diagnostics, everything passes but SPC.  Channels 3-4 trigger, channel 2 won't trigger but can show a waveform.  Channel 1 just low level noise regardless of input.  2-4 can show 170 ps risetimes from the fastest pulse source I have, so not bad considering.   

Check U1801, on the Acquisition board for discoloration and or bumbs, atleast that chip should be responsible for ch1-2 triggering (atleast i have a same model with similar problem, still trying to source the part and or searching for donor boards it's used in TDS6K / 7K and TDS694C )
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 06:26:22 pm by matyco »

Offline moore

• Contributor
« Reply #162 on: December 15, 2015, 09:46:41 pm »
matyco- That chip looks ok on mine.  I will try to attach pics, but this is my first time doing so on this forum so maybe it shows up as first one below?

The channel 1 no signal issue turns out to be at least partially obvious (see 2nd pic, blown trace).  Obviously could be other problems, I haven't tried repairing the trace yet to see what happens.  Focusing on the pc and software upgrades for now.  I am hopeful since CH1 does show noise, baseline not offset or jumping, but yeah it will be a huge chunk of luck if its just the trace.

By the way, a LOT of the chips on the acq board run really hot, like burn your fingers if you touch the heatsink.  Is that normal?  The fans don't really direct any flow down there, kind of bothers me.

PC upgrade status:
CPU was a snap, the SL5VQ, new thermal paste of course.  Fired right up and works fine.  I *might* be getting a second one of these, if so, will send it on to whomever wants it for their scope.  Long story, but essentially it was a bit of a pain finding them, first place cancelled, and buying 2 from the next buyer was only marginally more than 1.  But 1 of the 2 shipped turned out to be wrong CPU, they are sending the correct one.   Anyway this was a low-skill drop in upgrade, well worth it.

RAM I am stuck on, have to order something different.  See third pic - these are 256MB 133,  PC won't even POST with them in (EDIT - will POST if I leave OEM in 1st slot, but the additional RAM still won't be recognized).  Did I miss a spec?  Maybe they need to be CL2 or something?

SSD works fine.  W2000 SP3 installed easily, but then ran into sudden shutdowns.  Couldn't tell exactly what was causing them, but shut down audio, ethernet, and PCMCIA to free their IRQs and it seems to be OK now.  Installed the video and front panel drivers and the PPC server, and tekscope.  Unfortunately it gets to the splash screen and ... stops.  Task Manager shows "WindowsScopeSer" taking 99% of CPU.  If I leave it for a long time it crashes out and tells me it needs to reboot.  I tried some rounds of uninstall/reinstall to see if the order matters and no good.   
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 10:18:07 pm by moore »

Offline moore

• Contributor
« Reply #163 on: December 15, 2015, 09:53:32 pm »

Overall looks like a good buy.

I wouldn't say *that* until you get it working, unless you got it real cheap! ::)

Jay

It was cheap enough that even as a 2 ch win98 4GHz scope out of calibration it was a good deal.  I was expecting it to show up barely functional.  Someone's already offered me more than I paid for it, as-is. 

But yeah, it will be sweeter if it can be running on 2000, and I can eventually trigger and use the other channels.   

Offline matyco

• Contributor
« Reply #164 on: December 16, 2015, 12:07:09 pm »

RAM I am stuck on, have to order something different.  See third pic - these are 256MB 133,  PC won't even POST with them in (EDIT - will POST if I leave OEM in 1st slot, but the additional RAM still won't be recognized).  Did I miss a spec?  Maybe they need to be CL2 or something?

What type of motherboard is in your scope? Usualy these are limited to FSB 100Mhz

SSD works fine.  W2000 SP3 installed easily, but then ran into sudden shutdowns.  Couldn't tell exactly what was causing them, but shut down audio, ethernet, and PCMCIA to free their IRQs and it seems to be OK now.  Installed the video and front panel drivers and the PPC server, and tekscope.  Unfortunately it gets to the splash screen and ... stops.  Task Manager shows "WindowsScopeSer" taking 99% of CPU.  If I leave it for a long time it crashes out and tells me it needs to reboot.  I tried some rounds of uninstall/reinstall to see if the order matters and no good.

What character code is displayed on the PPC board? "P" ? Check the rs232 console and post the message log.

Offline moore

• Contributor
« Reply #165 on: December 19, 2015, 11:56:55 pm »

What type of motherboard is in your scope? Usualy these are limited to FSB 100Mhz

What character code is displayed on the PPC board? "P" ? Check the rs232 console and post the message log.

It's an SF810 mobo.  I thought the 133 memory should work fine at 100MHz FSB since it's a rating.   Also TiN seemed to get by fine with this.  Anyway, I got a couple of sticks of exactly the original RAM and it is now working with 512MB.

Still stuck on the W2k+SSD.  W98 on old drive still runs fine.  Here is what I get from the console:
Code: [Select]

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

romPost: MPC106  Walking-one passed.

romPost: MPC106 configuration passed.

romPost: First PCI access  passed.

romPost: PC87560 Walking-one passed.

romPost: PC87560 configuration passed.

romPost: DEC21554 configuration passed.

romPost: PERFORMING ROM CHECKSUM TEST...

romPost: ROM checksum passed.

romPost: PERFORMING DRAM CELL TEST...

romPost: Enabling data cache...
romPost: Data cache enabled.
romPost: Enabling instruction cache...
romPost: Instruction cache enabled.

romPost: DRAM Cell test passed.
romPost: Disabling data Cache...
romPost: Data cache disabled.
romPost: Disabling instruction cache...
romPost: Instruction cache disabled.

romPost: PERFORMING DRAM MARCH TEST WITH CACHE OFF...
romPost: Writing address to each *address...
romPost: Reading address from each *address...
romPost: DRAM march test passed...

romPost: PERFORMING DRAM MARCH TEST WITH CACHE ON...

romPost: Enabling data cache...
romPost: Data cache enabled.
romPost: Writing address to each *address...
romPost: Reading address from each *address...
romPost: DRAM march test passed...

romPost: PERFORMING DRAM WALKING-ONE  TEST...

romPost: DRAM Walking-one test passed.

romPost: PERFORMING NV-MEMORY WALKING-ONE  TEST...

romPost: NV-MEMORY Walking-one test passed.
romPost: Disabling data Cache...
romPost: Data cache disabled.
romPost: Disabling instruction cache...
romPost: Instruction cache disabled.

romPost: POWER-UP DIAGNOSTIC COMPLETE.

Hel

VxWorks System Boot

Copyright 1984-1996  Wind River Systems, Inc.

CPU: Tektronix HPP - PowerPC 740

Version: 5.3.1

BSP version: 1.0.4.0

Creation date: Nov  2 2000, 11:03:34

Press any key to stop auto-boot...

auto-booting...

boot device          : sm

processor number     : 0

file name            : c:/vxboot/vxWorks.st

inet on backplane (b): 192.168.0.1:ffffff00

host inet (h)        : 192.168.0.2

gateway inet (g)     : 192.168.0.1

flags (f)            : 0x1008

target name (tn)     : tds7000

startup script (s)   : c:/vxboot/topscript.hw

Initializing backplane net with anchor at 0x1e80000... done.

Backplane anchor at 0x1e80000... Attaching network interface sm0... done

Then nothing.

Offline TiNTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #166 on: December 20, 2015, 12:01:44 am »
Do you have all the correct files in vxboot? Also I'm not exactly remember, but shouldn't folder name be vxBoot? Perhaps it's case sensitive?

Offline moore

• Contributor
« Reply #167 on: December 22, 2015, 12:33:41 am »

I compared with old W98 install and two files were missing from vxBoot directory - .key and .sn.  They just have the option key and serial of the instrument in a particular format, identical to what is printed on the back cover.  Copied the files over, but no luck, it still stops at the same place.  Did I miss a step?

Forgot to mention above PPC led stops at "L".   

Offline matyco

• Contributor
« Reply #168 on: December 22, 2015, 08:06:04 am »

Forgot to mention above PPC led stops at "L".

If it won't change to P, that has something to do with wrong parameter boot setting or some other PPC related problem (some odd driver, IRQ) Try to change bios settings for IRQ, and check PCMCIA drivers (atleast i had similar trouble with those one time)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 08:10:40 am by matyco »

Offline TiNTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #169 on: December 22, 2015, 10:13:00 am »
Yep, should be P and then change to dash "-" after vxWorks init done. All parameters are case sensitive, check them

Offline jaywye

« Reply #170 on: December 23, 2015, 08:16:37 pm »
My TDS7404 is showing the blue screen of death (0x0000007B saying Inaccessible_Boot_Device) when it boots up.  :(

I wonder if the NLX battery needs to be replaced, or does the blue screen of death portends to something more sinister that may have gone wrong? Any help would much be much appreciated.

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #171 on: December 23, 2015, 10:43:04 pm »
My TDS7404 is showing the blue screen of death (0x0000007B saying Inaccessible_Boot_Device) when it boots up.  :(

I wonder if the NLX battery needs to be replaced, or does the blue screen of death portends to something more sinister that may have gone wrong? Any help would much be much appreciated.

Not the battery. Stop 0x7B is indicative of a disk drive or disk controller issue.
Jay
Jay

Offline jaywye

« Reply #172 on: December 23, 2015, 11:36:21 pm »
Thanks the tip. I was hoping it wouldn't that difficult. Darn.
I will remove the case and see what the indicator says. Will keep you posted.
Happy Holidays!

Offline moore

• Contributor
« Reply #173 on: December 24, 2015, 12:32:09 am »
jaywye,

If you're going into the case anyway, one simple thing to try is take the HD out of the caddy and plug it directly into the IDE cable.  Ii learned this by switching HDs several times after which the adapter on the caddy got damaged and now I get a no OS error with HDs that otherwise work fine connected directly.

TiN and matyco,

Still trying, thanks for the pointers.  Have all the vxboot files there and capitalization checked and fixed where needed.  I believe the problem is in the drivers/IRQ, trying to narrow it down and find everything.  For sure there is a problem in ethernet and maybe pci bridge.  Paid work keeps getting in the way so slow progress. 

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #174 on: December 24, 2015, 12:46:00 am »
Thanks the tip. I was hoping it wouldn't that difficult. Darn.
I will remove the case and see what the indicator says. Will keep you posted.
Happy Holidays!

One thing to try and easy as well - disconnect the CD-ROM data cable. It could cause problems on the ATAPI bus.
Another thing - I don't remember whether DMA should be anabled in the BIOS for IDE devices. If it's set to enabled, try setting it to PIO mode.

What is the serial # of your unit? I may have a Ghost image...

Jay
Jay

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf