Author Topic: Tektronix 106 Refurb - Calibration Question (60ns Delay)  (Read 1677 times)

Offline Addicted2AnalogTekTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Tektronix 106 Refurb - Calibration Question (60ns Delay)
« on: December 03, 2015, 01:16:41 am »
I just finished fully restoring a worn down Tek 106 square wave generator and it is time to cal it.  I have everything that I need except for the Tek Type 113  60ns delay box.   That specific one is made out of RG-213/U with GR874 connectors.   

I cannot afford to drop a few hundred on a quality coaxial delay box right now and intend to build one to suit - unless generating the 60ns delay via a digital delay generator such as the Tektronix DD501 or BNC 7010 would suffice.   
 I would rather spend $60 on something such as that than spend the same on building a single-purpose coax delay box.

Anyone able to shoot me some tips here?

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Tektronix 106 Refurb - Calibration Question (60ns Delay)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 02:39:03 am »
What is the delay line used for? If it's used for pretigger of a sampler/fast CRO, you probably get away fine by buying some 60nsx20cm/ns => 12m of cheap RG58 and coiling it up. Higher quality coax delay lines are usually found in most higher end CROs to generate pretrigger signal. In old ones, it is usually modular with BNC on both ends, so you might be able to unplug it temporarily and use it for your purposes

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 03:10:57 am »
It's used to check the Hi Amplitude output, check and adjust the + and - fast rise output.   It's used in conjunction with a sampling scope to check the rise time and aberrations.   

Here's a picture of the setup from the manual:

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 03:21:40 am »
Here's the pages of the manual which use the 60ns delay.

According to the datasheets, I need almost 40ft if I use RG-213/U, and around 43ft if I use RG-58 (A or C).

I can get some used 213 for $0.50 per ft right now and I would only need to buy one GR874 end for about $10.   That's less than I can get the RG58 and ends for right now.

But basically what you are saying is that I should stick with a coax delay unit for this application, correct?

I'll try to find a deal on some decent RG58 so that I can actually use it for something later on if that is the case.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf