Author Topic: When I use the modern DSO oscilloscope and when I use the analog tektronix  (Read 2789 times)

Offline jcrubinTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Technocoma
Ive put together a video which is more of an opinion piece which discusses when I choose between the modern and vintage oscilloscopes, both out of choice and necessity, and why I do so.

CVM CATAPVLTAE PROSCRIPTAE ERVNT TVM SOLI PROSCRIPTI CATAPVLTAS HABEBVNT

https://www.youtube.com/c/jordanrubin6502

The following users thanked this post: lem_ix, leoakirakblo

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Is there a summary of your points that I can speed read in 15s?

That would enable me to determine if it might be worth my while spending 60* more of my (little) remaining life on your video?

Thanks
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Is there a summary of your points that I can speed read in 15s?

That would enable me to determine if it might be worth my while spending 60* more of my (little) remaining life on your video?
Don't bother because he is using a very cheap Hantek DSO. Besides that the video is about 2 decades too late anyway.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline HalFET

• Frequent Contributor
Think you can summarise it as this: Both are ok, digital is nice if you have to deal with finding rare glitches. Analog scopes on the other hand can show you "misbehaving" signals (too high frequency) which a digital scope might not. Also if you're working on mains voltage analog scopes are sometimes nicer, since they to be easier if you want to repair the frontend you inevitably blow up. (Which we've all done in our early years, don't deny it.) Overall for the average user though, digital is the way to go simply for the automatic measurements and advanced trigger capabilities.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
Think you can summarise it as this: Both are ok, digital is nice if you have to deal with finding rare glitches. Analog scopes on the other hand can show you "misbehaving" signals (too high frequency) which a digital scope might not. Also if you're working on mains voltage analog scopes are sometimes nicer, since they to be easier if youwant to repair the frontend you inevitably blow up. (Which we've all done in our early years, don't deny it.)
Sorry, I've never blown up the front end of an analog (or any other type of Oscilloscope).
I can't remember ever seeing a 'scope where this has happened, in over 40 years as a Tech.
Overall for the average user though, digital is the way to go simply for the automatic measurementsandadvanced trigger capabilities.
I always feel that automatic measurements allow people to test things without having any real idea of what the results mean.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
The automatic measurements are nice, but I'm glad I spent years using an analog scope so I know what the measurements are really doing. I feel like I've earned the right to be a bit lazy now.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
I found the video very interesting although I am new into electronics. Some good information there for beginners.
I had an idea about your points in the video but your clear explanation of things helped me understand better when to use what instrument.

Thanks for sharing.  :-+
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
When a digital scope is just not good enough !

Offline lem_ix

• Regular Contributor
In the US an analog scope seems like a nice entry point for a new hobbyist. Here the price of a pretty average analog scope gets close to a new rigol/siglent scope. Not really worth recommending if the price difference is 100e.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Interesting. I haven't touched my digital scope for about a month now. Using a Tek 2225 or my wits more than it at the moment. Just feels more attached to what you're working on

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
Re: When I use the modern DSO oscilloscope and when I use the analog tektronix
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 02:16:22 am »
So, you buy the cheapest nasties digital scope you can find to show how much superior an analogue scope is.... A better title might be 'Why I have to use analogue scope'.

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 05:53:46 am »
True, that is a high end analog scope vs a low end DSO that is probably about the same price new as the analog scope is worth 20+ years old.

I've transitioned to using my DSO almost exclusively although I did pull out the 465B the other day to work on a vector arcade board, the XY mode on the DSO is nearly useless.

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
  • Checkout my old test gear channel (link in sig)
    • TGSoapbox
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 07:37:47 am »
the XY mode on the DSO is nearly useless.

And that is exactly why I ended up going out and buying an old 2235

TonyG

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 11:45:10 pm »
So, you buy the cheapest nasties digital scope you can find to show how much superior an analogue scope is.... A better title might be 'Why I have to use analogue scope'.

Or maybe, "If you  already have an analogue 'scope, you can get away with a fairly poor DSO"

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 12:02:39 am »
When a digital scope is just not good enough !

Gee, he makes a great fuss about checking AM modulation.
We did this all the time to set up AM Mod Monitors back in the day----it's not rocket science.

The best way to do it is using the trapezoidal method, in XY mode,where you feed the modulating signal to the 'scope X input & the modulated RF signal to the  Y input.

The RF levels are a lot easier to see than with the conventional envelope.

Online Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 06:58:07 am »
Just marking a spot so I remember to reference this on my next DSO vs Boat Anchor rant :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf