Author Topic: Which Spectrum Analyzer to choose in 2024?  (Read 926 times)

Offline huababuaTopic starter

• Contributor
Which Spectrum Analyzer to choose in 2024?
« on: March 13, 2024, 08:11:58 am »
Hi folks,

I am trying to set me up with some new equipment for EMC precompliance measurements and cant decide which SA I should buy.

Main purpose is to measure conducted (with a LISN) and radiated  (with antenna + ext. amplifier) emissions and I am planning to use it together with the TECBOX EMCVIEW software https://www.tekbox.com/product/emcview-pc-software-emc-compliance-testing/

The software is supporting the following instruments which are in my budget:

Rigol (DSA and RSA)
Siglent (SSA/SSA plus/SSA -R and SVA) 

Breaking it further down to the specific part numbers I can choose between:
Rigol RSA3015E-TG
Siglent SVA1015X   
Siglent SSA3021X   
Siglent SSA3015X Plus   

I really like the idea of using the additional VNA functionality of the SVA1015X to measure DIY filters.

Which one would be your favorite?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Which Spectrum Analyzer to choose in 2024?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 08:23:25 am »
Add SSA3021X Plus to that list.

SSA3000X Plus, SVA1000X and SSA3000X-R models are all touch display and also with webservers whereas the earlier SSA3000X models offered neither.
SVA and X-R models both offer VNA capability.

All the later (not SSA3000X) models offer an improved EMI mode.
Promotion until mid year:
https://www.siglenteu.com/news-article/siglent-care-for-your-emi-pre-compliance-tests/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline huababuaTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2024, 08:51:21 am »

Interesting! Could you please specify which are the "later" models from my list above?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2024, 08:56:47 am »

Interesting! Could you please specify which are the "later" models from my list above?
SSA Plus, SVA and SSA3000X-R all share the improved EMI mode, webserver and touch display.
Earlier SSA3000X has none of these.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline lunix

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2024, 05:35:21 am »
I can't give advice on a spectrum analyzer, but I can tell you some of my recent experience with RIGOL.  All of my RIGOL experience is after about 40 years as an EE.  TLDR: avoid this company.  Don't be tempted by the prices.

I bought a DHO924S and the PLA2216 logic analyzer accessory.  The scope has crashed a few times, and went into a doom loop (where it wouldn't boot), which I managed to recover from.  Some of the measurements are flaky (you can read all about that in these forums).  RIGOL seldom posts updates, which often do not fix longstanding bugs that have been reported multiple times.

The logic analyzer didn't come with all of the probes and grabbers advertised.  When I brought it to their attention, they sent some USED ones, then when I asked whether it was intentional, they promised new ones with a long lead time due to a (then) upcoming Chinese holiday.  (They had a week to order them before sending the used ones- and the lead time would've been shorter than the five weeks I waited.)

I went to the RIGOL store on eBay, and purchased a benchtop DMM recently.  I was charged for it.  After a few days of noticing that it had not shipped, my order was canceled.  They re-listed it at a higher price after that.  In hindsight I consider myself fortunate.  And I consider it my duty to warn others away from RIGOL.

If you're a casual hobbyist, or a student and don't have to rely on it- it's inexpensive.  But if you need something that you can depend on for accurate measurements and working features as-advertised, my experience says this brand shouldn't be on your list.

Offline battlecoder

• Regular Contributor
    • A BIT of Mystery
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2024, 10:00:00 pm »
I was also wondering the same. I've been following discussions on Spectrum Analyzers for a while, and while the Rigol DSA815 used to be the community's darling for a long time, I've seen a lot of love for the Siglent units as well, so at this point I don't know what would be the "best" purchase anymore.

In my case there's the additional challenge of limited options and higher prices. We have a local Rigol distributor and that's it. They bring the DSA and RSA lines, but they only keep stock of a couple of models, and the rest must be requested on-demand with some relatively long wait times because they bundle client requests into shipments which don't happen that often (low demand for this kind of stuff means less options and higher prices, unfortunately).

Right now they have the RSA3015N in stock but it's like 2700 USD (after taxes), so quite a bit outside of my budget (I was thinking around 1500 USD).
The Rigol DSA815-TG is something I could buy for around 1350 USD from them (again, after taxes) so it's probably the option that best aligns with my budget.

My other option would be bringing the Siglent SSA3021X straight from Amazon, which would result in a 1750 USD purchase (after taxes and shipping), which I can still afford, but it's $400 more than the Rigol, and $200 over my "expected" budget goal. As far as I know the Siglent has lower phase noise, lower noise floor in general, faster sweep, and higher frequency range than the Rigol so I'm still considering a valid option. Is that worth the $400 difference? That I don't know. I guess I could wait until there's an Amazon coupon or something for the Siglent, lol.

While I don't necessarily need to measure EMI emissions for any mission critical job, I'm interested in designing testing and tuning RF filters, doing electromagnetic emissions testing, and performing frequency-domain analysis in general, and maybe the Rigol would suffice.

I know the OP mentioned the DSA line in their opening statement but didn't list the DSA815TG between the options they were considering, but between the DSA815-TG and the SSA3021X (not Plus), which one would be a better purchase? (considering the pros of the Siglent: better performance, higher frequency range, and the cons: $400 more expensive, brought from abroad so less chances of warranty/tech support)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2024, 10:14:12 pm »
I was also wondering the same.
My other option would be bringing the Siglent SSA3021X straight from Amazon, which would result in a 1750 USD purchase

SSA3021X (not Plus), which one would be a better purchase? (considering the pros of the Siglent: better performance, higher frequency range, and the cons: $400 more expensive, brought from abroad so less chances of warranty/tech support)
If your budget permits get the later Plus version and for the few $ more it offers much more than the older X models.

We no longer stock any of the earlier SSA3000X models and these days only SSA3000X Plus models. SSA3015X Plus we sell a few but many more SSA3021X Plus.
Why, touch and mouse support, webserver and superior EMI mode.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2024, 10:21:08 pm »
Getting an older unit from -for example- Advantest could also be an option. Just make sure the piece of equipment has a TFT screen in there so it is not ancient. Some spectrum analysers are not called spectrum analuser. For example, I have an R3477A signal analyser which I use primarily for EMC pre-compliance testing although it doesn't have an EMI option. Using close enough RBW values is good enough for precompliance.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 10:31:23 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2024, 11:00:03 pm »
I really like the idea of using the additional VNA functionality of the SVA1015X to measure DIY filters.

That would also appeal to me, so a VNA would be an option for me.
So far, I've only come into contact with spectrum analyzers at work, where I've followed the instructions in the protocol (EMC pre-tests) like a monkey. ;)
So I think a model with 1.5Ghz should be enough for me - right?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2024, 11:43:08 pm »
Recently I needed to test pre-compliance up to 12.5GHz. Regular emissions testing goes to 5GHz or 6GHz nowadays.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline battlecoder

• Regular Contributor
    • A BIT of Mystery
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2024, 11:43:22 pm »
If your budget permits get the later Plus version and for the few $ more it offers much more than the older X models.

The Plus version looks honestly great, but right now my best bet for bringing stuff (at least big, heavy, expensive stuff) from USA is Amazon. They include the import fees and shipping costs on checkout (so I know beforehand exactly how much I'm paying) AND they take care of the whole process (including extra charges, if any) so I don't have to spend a single cent more outside of what they charged me already in order to receive the item at home, and right at the estimated time.

Importing (big, heavy, expensive) stuff on my own is normally a big bet. I'd be paying import fees (which are usually a lottery; sometimes they treat you fairly, and sometimes they grossly overcharge) AND additional "unexpected" shipping costs (UPS and Fedex here love to add additional charges like "gas fee", "storage fee", "transport fee", etc, and I've easily paid twice the price of an item for importing it on my own using their services) on arrival, meaning there's no way for me to know beforehand what the final cost of the item is going to be.

It's a real gamble.

How is that relevant? Well, Siglent's Amazon store (or any other Amazon store for that matter) don't seem to be stocking the Plus version, so I don't have access to that instrument unless I'm willing to play roulette with importing it myself.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2024, 12:04:05 am »
Have a look here for a more local supplier:
https://int.siglent.com/map/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline battlecoder

• Regular Contributor
    • A BIT of Mystery
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2024, 12:06:07 am »
Have a look here for a more local supplier:
https://int.siglent.com/map/

Well wow, thanks. They do seem to have official distributors here. This is news to me. For some reason when I was looking for official Siglent suppliers only found US/Europe stores.
Thanks, will try contacting a couple the one listed in our country. Funnily enough I've never seen Siglent equipment listed on their website, so it's not looking that great.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 12:11:20 am by battlecoder »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf