Author Topic: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's  (Read 116874 times)

Online Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1300 on: Today at 09:17:55 am »

[...]

In my opinion/experience when describing products "features" i prefer to use "feature" for a "property or attribute", opposite to what Marketing does.
Sometimes word "capability/es" or "function/s" is better used.

Best,

Unsurprisingly, when trying to explain the nuanced meaning of something, you reverted to words stemming from Latin, which is one of the best technical languages. Formal Latin was technical, first and foremost. Sadly, I don't know German at all.
Maybe Sanskrit would have been as good.

My greatest problem with English, by far, is the verb "to be". It can refer to an essential feature attribute of a being, something that cannot be modified without fundamentally changing the being. It can also refer to a transitory, contingent or superficial state the being is currently in. The next step would be to use the same word for "yes" and "no".
But yeah, English is a quite good conversational language, not very good for science or rigorous speech.

On the flip side, it makes english technical writings much easier for those of us which speak languages stemming from Latin, as half the words are actually Latin and not English.

The following users thanked this post: newbrain, pdenisowski

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #1301 on: Today at 09:52:05 am »
Sometimes word "capability/es" or "function/s" is better used.

That's how I would interpret the word "feature" in the context of the "SDS800X HD wanted features" thread: It's about suggestions for additional functionality.

Yeah, in that case I think "Funktionen" is definitely much more appropriate than "Merkmale" :)

words stemming from Latin, which is one of the best technical languages.

Or better yet: "Charakteristikum / Charakteristika"

Back in the 1980s I used to get scolded for using too many "foreign words" (Fremdwörter) in my German.  Now I get scolded for avoiding "Anglizismen"  :)

Edit:  after I posted I remembered that "Charaketeristikum" is actually ancient Greek (χαρακτηριστικός‎) via Latin. 
« Last Edit: Today at 09:57:02 am by pdenisowski »
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Free online test and measurement fundamentals courses from Rohde & Schwarz:  https://tinyurl.com/mv7a4vb6

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, 2N3055

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #1302 on: Today at 09:54:47 am »
My greatest problem with English, by far, is the verb "to be". It can refer to an essential feature attribute of a being, something that cannot be modified without fundamentally changing the being. It can also refer to a transitory, contingent or superficial state the being is currently in.

It's harder the other way around (deciding as an English speaker when to use "ser" versus "estar") :)
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Free online test and measurement fundamentals courses from Rohde & Schwarz:  https://tinyurl.com/mv7a4vb6

The following users thanked this post: tv84

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1303 on: Today at 10:10:06 am »
I am glad that my input cleared things up.

When i ask specific questions i usually want to clear things up, but often people just get annoyed by it. (I once did this in a company, asking why someone did push a button... oh boy he got mad.)
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Online Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1304 on: Today at 11:21:17 am »
My greatest problem with English, by far, is the verb "to be". It can refer to an essential feature attribute of a being, something that cannot be modified without fundamentally changing the being. It can also refer to a transitory, contingent or superficial state the being is currently in.

It's harder the other way around (deciding as an English speaker when to use "ser" versus "estar") :)

It certainly is and, to be fair, context clears things up nicely in normal speech, most of the time.
But there are also a lot of arguments in which I find myself having the exact same word for two opposite concepts, and I honestly find it baffling.

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1305 on: Today at 01:26:25 pm »
English is actually very bad language for engineering. As someone that was exposed to both English and, to some extent, German technical literature, German language is much easier to be precise.

My friend, we're in total disagreement in that one. IMHO english is a perfect language for engineering. The use you make of it is the cause of the misunderstandings. BTW, I wouldn't call the "feature" thing an engineering term.

And I'm one of those that can easily distinguish "ser" from "estar". :)

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, 2N3055, pdenisowski, KungFuJosh, Antonio90

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1306 on: Today at 02:05:34 pm »
English is actually very bad language for engineering. As someone that was exposed to both English and, to some extent, German technical literature, German language is much easier to be precise.

I might not go that far.  You can use precise wording in English, but because words take on many meanings and there are so many words with similar meanings it allows people to be lazy.  From my perspective it is easy to be imprecise in English.  Sometimes not only easy, but easier.

To me, when talking about the attributes of an subject, object, process, etc.. the word "feature" has always meant "attribute of special merit or interest in a positive sense".  Kind of an antonym to "quirk" meaning "attribute of special merit or interest in a negative sense"
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

The following users thanked this post: tv84, 2N3055

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1307 on: Today at 02:20:10 pm »
Is it me, or are we drifting ever-so-slightly off topic?  ;)

The following users thanked this post: Antonio90

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1308 on: Today at 02:26:57 pm »

Sure we are. Probably all "features" of the SDS800X HD have been discussed and, as such, we moved on.   ;)

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, KungFuJosh, Antonio90

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1309 on: Today at 02:30:15 pm »
Drift is indeed an expected quirk of long discussions.

The best feature of the SDS800X HD is that I just got word that, with any luck, I'll have mine for the weekend!   :-+ :scared: :-+
« Last Edit: Today at 03:28:19 pm by BillyO »
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, KungFuJosh, Antonio90, radiohomebrewer2000

Online Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1310 on: Today at 02:47:14 pm »
A few PPMs indeed, but I think we remain within spec. I blame it on the seasonal changes temperature variations.  ;D

Drift is indeed a expected quirk of long discussions.

The best feature of the SDS800X HD is that I just go word that, with any luck, I'll have mine for the weekend!   :-+ :scared: :-+

With a bit of luck I'll get mine too. Next week otherwise.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:53:29 pm by Antonio90 »

The following users thanked this post: pdenisowski, BillyO

Online radiohomebrewer2000

• Contributor
« Reply #1311 on: Today at 03:06:38 pm »
The best feature of the SDS800X HD is that I just go word that, with any luck, I'll have mine for the weekend!   :-+ :scared: :-+

I think you will like your new scope.  It was definitely a step up for me going from an old HP 54600 100 MHz 2-channel digital scope to a Siglent SDS814X HD.  And if/when I need it, I can *cough* upgrade *cough* to 200 MHz.  And I only got the 100MHz model because all the cheaper models sold out quickly...    I am glad I waited for the SDS800X HD to be sold in the west instead of getting the SDS1104X-E or SDS1204X-E.

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, BillyO

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1312 on: Today at 03:14:50 pm »
I guess you are then "featuring" it in one of your videos pretty soon huh?  ;D
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

The following users thanked this post: BillyO

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1313 on: Today at 03:21:47 pm »
I think you will like your new scope.  It was definitely a step up for me going from an old HP 54600 100 MHz 2-channel digital scope to a Siglent SDS814X HD.  And if/when I need it, I can *cough* upgrade *cough* to 200 MHz.  And I only got the 100MHz model because all the cheaper models sold out quickly...    I am glad I waited for the SDS800X HD to be sold in the west instead of getting the SDS1104X-E or SDS1204X-E.
It will be replacing my SDS1104X-E, which BTW is a fantastic scope.  The main reason is the 12-bits so I hope there are not too may quirks with it as there are practically none with the SDS1104X-E.

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1314 on: Today at 03:22:36 pm »
I guess you are then "featuring" it in one of your videos pretty soon huh?  ;D
That might just happen. :-+

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf