Author Topic: Siglent SPD3303X-E Hi-Resolution Output Unlock?  (Read 26575 times)

Offline SAIT_Tim

Re: Siglent SPD3303X-E Hi-Resolution Output Unlock?
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2024, 12:53:55 pm »
Hi guys,

I have just received my Siglent 3303X-E and would like to "upgrade" to the X version.

Unit came with:

FW 1.01.01.03.11R1
HW V6.2

I have the same issue and can't find posts on this. No mention of firmware version 03.11 on the website. Have you since managed to upgrade?

I'd like to be able to do this as well if its possible - same 'latest' HW & FW versions...

Offline vskeevb

« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2024, 01:55:31 am »
For what it's worth, my SPD3303X-E (HW V6.1) came with 1.01.01.03.11 installed and I "upgraded" it using the method described in this thread. I now have a SPD3303X but it's running 1.01.01.03.10 since I cannot locate 1.01.01.03.11 on Siglent's site.

I subsequently performed the calibration procedure described at https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds3303x(-e)-calibration-fw1-01-01-02-07r2-best-practice/ and verified the system was working as expected.

Admittedly, my unit is a HW V6.1 and not the later HW V6.2.

-VSK

Offline sy

• Contributor
« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2024, 10:23:31 am »
Follow up from my previous post for:

FW 1.01.01.03.11R1
HW V6.2

Downgrading to V1.01.01.03.10 then applying the hack works.  :-DD

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2024, 04:14:46 pm »
I just bought myself one of these, and managed to upgrade it.

All working well except for the bone-headed design decision to NOT have the output binding posts spaced 19.05mm (3/4") apart...... dduuurrrrrr...... |O

Anyway, here's how I upgraded my hardware version v6.1 unit.

(Thanks to optotester for posting the Hex values to change)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Download and install NI Visa, making sure that 'NI-VISA .NET Runtime' is selected in the install options at a minimum (you don't need anything else to run the EasyPower software).
https://www.ni.com/en/support/downloads/drivers/download.ni-visa.html

- Download the latest version of the firmware for the SPD3303X (NOT SPD3303X-E !!).
- Also download and install the latest version of EasyPower.
https://siglentna.com/service-and-support/firmware-software/dc-power-supplies/

- Download and install HxD (or download and run the portable version)
https://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php?product=HxD20

- Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\EasyTools\EasyPower (or wherever you installed it) and cut/paste 'EasyPower.exe' to your desktop or My Files or somewhere so Windows won't block you from editing the file.
 - Rename the 'EasyPower.exe' in the 'Program Files' folder to 'EasyPowerOld.exe' as a backup.

- Run HxD and open the 'EasyPower.exe' you just copied.
  - Search for the string 0F BE 55 0C (Ctrl + F, then select 'Hex-Values tab, Search for '0F BE 55 0C', Search direction 'All')
  - Just before the found string on the same line, you'll see '0F 84 A4 00 00 00'
  - Replace the '84' with '85' so the string is now '0F 85 A4 00 00 00' (The 85 should be shown in red until you hit save)
     This will disable the hardware check in the software so it will just obediently flash whatever firmware you give it straight onto the PSU without confirming the model number matches first.
     This will allow us to force-feed it the SPD3303X firmware over the top of the SPD3303X-E firmware currently in the unit.
  - Save this file and move the modified .exe file back into C:\Program Files (x86)\EasyTools\EasyPower

- Connect the PSU to your local LAN with an Ethernet cable, power it up and once it's booted press the IP/STORE button to find the IP address.
  * Alternatively you can connect directly to the PC using a USB cable and you don't need the IP address.
    (Only connect the USB cable AFTER installing the NI Visa drivers and EasyPower! Or you might end up with Windows causing driver conflicts)
    I used the LAN method so let us know how you go with USB.

- Run the EasyPower software and click on 'Version' in the top bar, then select 'Upgrade'
  - Leave the button set to 'Normal Mode' (Don't change it to 'Firmware Mode' or it'll bounce you back and tell you to select 'Normal Mode' anyway)
  - Select your SPD3303X firmware file then click 'Upgrade'
  - A window will pop up, select 'VXI11' and it will ask you for the IP address of the PSU.
  - Enter the IP address you found in the previous step and click 'OK'
  * If using a USB cable, select the USB option and click 'OK'. You won't need the IP address.

- Let it update and then close the EasyPower software only once instructed to do so.

- The PSU will reboot and it'll now be a fully functioning SPD3303X model!  8)

- You can check to see if the voltage setting has three digits after the decimal point and also press the <padlock>/Ver button to see that the Product Type now says 'SPD3303X'

Have fun.  ;D

Note, future firmware upgrades should be made using SPD3303X versions, NOT SPD3303X-E versions.
I believe there is no reason to use a modified EasyPower.exe for future firmware upgrades once the hack is complete, unless you actually want to downgrade (by flashing SPD3303X-E firmware back onto the PSU), say for warranty return purposes etc.

For all intents and purposes, your unit is a 100% SPD3303X model now in every way except the sticker on the front. :)

Also, if you want to run calibration, here's the way to do it:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds3303x(-e)-calibration-fw1-01-01-02-07r2-best-practice/

« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 10:46:19 am by TERRA Operative »
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: empeka, KubaSO, ttssyy, RocketPenguin

Offline ttssyy

« Reply #104 on: April 04, 2024, 03:59:42 pm »
Before and after:

The following users thanked this post: TERRA Operative, KubaSO

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf