Author Topic: Tektronix 2465B oscilloscope teardown  (Read 658530 times)

Offline FireDragon

• Regular Contributor
Re: Tektronix 2465B oscilloscope teardown
« Reply #550 on: December 28, 2015, 09:56:58 pm »
2465B CT Outside pictures continued...

Right side of scope.

The following users thanked this post: Rollin Hand

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #551 on: December 28, 2015, 10:00:56 pm »
I couldn't manage to embed the pictures, so I have attached them. Also .jpeg files are not allowed! WTF! And apparently only tiny files are allowed! So, one per post. Sigh.

Your pictures are too big. Use a program such as "IrfanView". Resize images to 1920 x 1080. Save. Then you should be able to upload each pix in one post.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline FireDragon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #552 on: December 28, 2015, 10:01:39 pm »

Top of scope.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #553 on: December 28, 2015, 10:03:32 pm »

I couldn't manage to embed the pictures, so I have attached them. Also .jpeg files are not allowed! WTF! And apparently only tiny files are allowed! So, one per post. Sigh.

Your pictures are too big. Use a program such as "IrfanView". Resize images to 1920 x 1080. Save. Then you should be able to upload each pix in one post.

Yeah. They need to be resized first. Or try something like www.imgur.com which should take care of resizing and give you (img) tags you can can copy and paste.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline FireDragon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #554 on: December 28, 2015, 10:07:51 pm »

Bottom of scope.

P.S. I prefer to upload high resolution images. Extremely low resolution images such as 1920 x 1080 are annoying when you want to zoom in on the detail (which is something I do all the time and assume that other people do as well). I would rather not have compression used at all, but uploads are limited to 1M per file so a full resolution image of 25M or so doesn't work. I  should have done two per post, though.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #555 on: December 28, 2015, 10:13:06 pm »
P.S. I prefer to upload high resolution images. Extremely low resolution images such as 1920 x 1080 are annoying when you want to zoom in on the detail (which is something I do all the time and assume that other people do as well). I would rather not have compression used at all, but uploads are limited to 1M per file so a full resolution image of 25M or so doesn't work. I  should have done two per post, though.

Huh? Resolution is only useful when the actual image supports it. That picture is nowhere near sharp enough for a 5269x3573 resolution to be useful...did you even look at it? It's blurry! You're just wasting bandwidth and server space and annoying people on slow connections...

I size my photos based on the actual level of detail in the original. Works much better.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline FireDragon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #556 on: December 28, 2015, 10:30:31 pm »

Yeah. They need to be resized first. Or try something like www.imgur.com which should take care of resizing and give you (img) tags you can can copy and paste.

Ok, if people really want small images, I'll see what I can do.

I tried www.imgur.com and it didn't appear to work well for me. I am trying Ifranview - it resizes the images, but they are still 2.5M. Once I get it fixed I'll upload the images.

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #557 on: December 28, 2015, 11:09:02 pm »

Huh? Resolution is only useful when the actual image supports it. That picture is nowhere near sharp enough for a 5269x3573 resolution to be useful...did you even look at it? It's blurry! You're just wasting bandwidth and server space and annoying people on slow connections...

I size my photos based on the actual level of detail in the original. Works much better.
It's blurry because the camera has focussed on the front of the knobs (the "var" is in focus on the three knobs) and there is little depth of field. The photo of the rear of the 'scope is actually quite sharp, not very exciting viewed at the actual pixel resolution though.

c4757p is absolutely correct - if you are going to post a huge image so that "people can zoom in" it is worth looking at it at the actual pixel resolution and making sure that there is detail to see.

Actually 1920x1080 is plenty big enough most of the time - I usually post something only a little larger such as 2400x1350 or 2400x1800 with a 1/4 size picture in the post linking to the larger pic if people want.

Offline FireDragon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #558 on: December 28, 2015, 11:13:55 pm »
2465B CT Outside pictures resized. I had to use GIMP to scale and compress, then I got imgur to work. I resized so that the maximum dimension was no larger than 1920 x 1080 at 96 dpi. Let me know if this is more appropriate.

Front       
Back       
Left Side   
Right Side 
Bottom     

Offline FireDragon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #559 on: December 30, 2015, 06:05:46 pm »
Here are the pictures for the inside of my 2465B CT, before removing any boards.

A1 Main Board               
A5 Digital Control Board   
A14 Dynamic Centering Board
A9 High Voltage Board       
Top Shield                 
Back                       

Offline FireDragon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #560 on: December 30, 2015, 07:14:27 pm »
Attached are the images for the options assembly tear down and refurbishing. Also, option 1E was installed. The "WR Out" photo shows the resistor (circled in red) that enables WR Out for the Word Recognizer Option. The "Option 1E" photo shows the resistor removed and a 0.22uF capacitor installed to enable Option 1E (disabling WR Out). Option 1E allows a reference frequency to be input to the scope increasing the frequency counter accuracy from 7 digits to 8 digits (+/- 1). Option 1E does NOT affect the scope's time base. The reference frequency is used to dynamically calibrate the CTT time base which is separate from the main scope time base. The WR Option will still function and trigger, but the trigger will no longer be available externally. There were only 5 electrolytic capacitors to be replaced, so this was a simple recapping.

Bottom Option Connection               
WR Connector                           
Options Assembly                       
A20 Buffer Board                       
A23 GPIB Option 10 Board               
A27 Counter Timer Trigger Option Board
Recapped CTT & GPIB Option Boards     
WR Out                                 
Option 1E                             

Offline FireDragon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #561 on: January 01, 2016, 12:19:20 am »
I am getting ready to remove the High Voltage board from my 2465B CT. I understand how to remove it, in general. However, there is one sticking point. The service manual says

"Remove the high-voltage lead from the retainer cap"

Some of the terminology / parts are not clearly explained, but physical examination makes most of it clear. However, this is not clear. Assuming that this is the correct part

and, what is necessary, is removing the white plug from the black cap then I am not sure how that is done. The white plug turns freely inside of the black cap, but I have been unable to separate the two using reasonable force. Too much force and a back reaction could lead to damaging the small circuit board and CRT connections to the immediate left. Is there some trick to this, or is just especially difficult?

Thanks.

Offline FireDragon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #562 on: January 01, 2016, 06:07:01 am »
Tom Miller on the Yahoo Groups TekGroup confirmed that it just needed a bit more "pull".

That was all I needed and I have finished recapping the high voltage board (even if it was only one capacitor)! Hopefully, I got the CRT socket back on right. Apparently, any one of a dozen orientations would fit. Given wire length, probably no more than three in reality. I think that I did. Here is the after picture of the high voltage board. In spite of appearances, the metal standoff in the bottom right is not touching the replacement capacitor or even close for that matter. The original was a 100uF, 25V, 85c Sprague capacitor. The replacement is a 100uF, 50V, 85c Sprague capacitor. Slightly larger, but it fits.

Offline FireDragon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #563 on: January 01, 2016, 10:17:10 pm »
Here is the photos of the A5 control board before and after recapping.

Before:
After:

Offline rafik

• Contributor
« Reply #564 on: January 02, 2016, 02:09:37 am »
Hello,

I am new in the forum am I find this blog very interesting.
I have searched about restoration of Tektronix 2465B PSU but I could find anything about it.
For this reason I write here, I hope not disturb. Well, at the present time, I am trying to repair the PSU of this wonderful scope but I could not more. I recap this stage and changed other parts but the PSU is now in a tick mode. Please someone could me help and explain why this happends and how could I go out of this mode? ....I do not know what to do... I hope you can help me with this...
Thank you in advance..

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #565 on: January 02, 2016, 04:00:40 am »
Hello,

I have searched about restoration of Tektronix 2465B PSU but I could find anything about it.
For this reason I write here, I hope not disturb. Well, at the present time, I am trying to repair the PSU of this wonderful scope but I could not more. I recap this stage and changed other parts but the PSU is now in a tick mode. Please someone could me help and explain why this happends and how could I go out of this mode? ....I do not know what to do... I hope you can help me with this...
Thank you in advance..
There's a good Tek pdf with a section on troubleshooting SMPS in this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/repair-documents-and-links-sticky-me-please-mods/msg477909/#msg477909
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Bryan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #566 on: January 02, 2016, 10:18:55 am »
Hello,

Thank you in advance..

Best thing you can do is download the service manuals. They are invaluable and the troubleshooting steps for the power supply are very good. Failing that join the Tektronix's group on yahoo. That's where the Tek experts/enthusiasts hang out.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TekScopes/info

I had a issue with a power supply on my 2465B and if it wasn't for the help on the group never would have figured out the problem. Aged and out of spec opto-isolator. Note if you recapped there is a error on the schematic and likely one of the caps was inserted backwards, can't remember which though.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 10:13:40 pm by Bryan »
-=Bryan=-

Offline FireDragon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #567 on: January 02, 2016, 09:49:13 pm »
Hello,

Thank you in advance..

Best thing you can do is download the service manuals. They are invaluable and the troubleshooting steps for the power supply are very good. Failing that join the Tektronix's group on yahoo. That's where the Tek experts/enthusiasts hang out.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TekScopes/info

I had a issue with a power supply on my 2465B and if it wasn't for the help on the group never would have figured out the problem. Aged and out of spec opto-isolator. Note if you recapped there is a error on the schematic and likely one of the caps was inserted backwards, can't remember which though.

The labels for C1115 and C1132 were reversed on the schematic.

Offline FireDragon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #568 on: January 04, 2016, 03:22:15 am »
Here is the tear down of the power supply section of my 2465B CT. I included the readout board because it was convenient to remove it to facilitate unsoldering the fan power cable.

A2A1 Regulator Board                           
A3 Inverter Board                             
A4 Readout Board                               
Inside Case with A3, A4 and A2A1 Removed       
Shield Between A3 and A2A1                     
Back Panel Wiring                             

Offline FireDragon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #569 on: January 04, 2016, 03:36:55 am »
Here is the damage, apparent bad components and recapping of the A3 Inverter board for my 2465B CT scope.

On the A2A1 Regulator board, C1016 RIFA capacitor has exploded. That has grunged up some of the nearby components, but does not appear to have done further damage. The C1018 RIFA capacitor has cracked open, but not exploded. Almost certainly non-functional. Resistors R1016 and R1018 have both been severely burned. They may or may not be functional. There are a couple of other resistors with dings and scratches which I will replace.

Additionally, on the A3 Inverter board there are three more RIFA capacitors and it can be seen that all three are cracked. They may still be working, but probably not for long. The A3 Inverter recap does not include those because I need to order replacements. It can also be seen looking at the bottom on the replaced capacitors that one looks like it was starting to leak, a second appears to have damage to the bottom (pre-leak?) and I am not at all sure if some of the rest are slightly bulging or not. They certainly aren't completely flat, but that may be a construction difference.

The only gotcha during replacement is the large axial capacitors. The leads are too short. I had to snip some lead from the original capacitors to extend the lead length. Also, even though these replacements have increased voltage ratings, increased capacitance or increased thermal rating and much better ESR, the replacements are generally smaller. In particular, the radial capacitor which was originally mounted on its side because it was too tall can now fit upright with no clearance issues.

A2A1 Regulator Board Damage                   
A3 Inverter Board Bad RIFA 1                   
A3 Inverter Board Bad RIFA 2                   
A3 Inverter Board Bad RIFA 3                   
A3 Inverter Board Replaced Capacitors         
A3 Recapped Inverter Board                     

Offline Bryan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #570 on: January 04, 2016, 09:58:06 am »
Here is the damage, apparent bad components and recapping of the A3 Inverter board for my 2465B CT scope.

Isn't the smell of those old leaky caps just lovely, mine had a horrible fishy oil smell.
-=Bryan=-

Offline dan3460

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #571 on: January 04, 2016, 04:46:16 pm »
I repaired a 2465 a few months ago, and those square caps that exploded had exploded on mine too. They did have a weird smell, it could be the plastic they used or some of the components inside.

Offline FireDragon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #572 on: January 06, 2016, 06:04:31 am »
Here is the recap of the A2A1 Regulator board in my 2465B CT. This does not include replacing the bi-polar electrolytics or the damaged resistors. I am waiting on parts for those. As with the A4 Inverter board, when I get the missing parts, I will repost a final picture.

Regulator board
Replaced capacitors

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #573 on: January 06, 2016, 06:12:46 am »

Replaced capacitors

You have hidden all the brand names.  :-// On purpose?
How many were faulty?
Care to list them for us?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #574 on: January 06, 2016, 07:30:54 am »
RIFA, Nichicon, Sprague and Cornell Dublier is my guess.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf