Author Topic: Tektronix heirloom Maglite - destroyed by Duracell AA - last straw !!  (Read 7201 times)

Offline fcb

• Super Contributor
  • Test instrument designer/G1YWC
    • Electron Plus
Re: Tektronix heirloom Maglite - destroyed by Duracell AA - last straw !!
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2020, 09:33:24 am »
I'll just leave this picture my daughter did of the Duracell Bunny after they destroyed something of hers:

Brilliant!

I have never had problems with GP Ultracells or IKEA cells. I have had problems with Duracells - however I have 30+ years exposure to Duracell product, so it might be a statistical thing.
https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References, Picoammeters, Curve Tracers.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2020, 09:53:28 am »
Which reminds me to check all my Flukes in the drawer. I saved a Fluke Megger once, the vomit was just starting to come out.  :scared:
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2020, 10:00:56 am »
I lost a special edition Pelco-Genex branded Maglite to some crappy Digitor branded alkaline batteries. I got the first battery out easily but whilst drilling out the second one the collector pin got pushed forward and destroyed the bulb contacts.   :( :'(

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2020, 10:48:00 am »
Can feel your pain, enough is enough, and NO SINGLE alkaline in the house now, only NiMh or primary Lithium or Li-Ion allowed.

Shot in 2013, watch the battery's date, and they were still holding charge at that time.  >:(

The damages above cells did at my Fluke 287 ...  >:( >:( >:(

Still in the blister pack with expiry date 2023, and no, they're stored in normal cool room temp all the time.  :(

And final one, I always wrote down installation date at every battery I installed, and ... I was believing that 9V cells never leaks, I was wrong  >:( , victim, my Fluke 87V.  >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 11:01:05 am by BravoV »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2020, 10:53:51 am »
And final one, as I was believing that 9V cells never leaks, I was wrong  >:( , victim, my Fluke 87V.  >:( >:( >:(

They very rarely do. Is that battery one of the "six AAAAs inside it" type or the "stack of square cells" type?

The ones with 6xAAAA inside have a tough time getting the goop all the way to the outside.

The bright side is that 9V battery snaps are really easy to replace.  :-+

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2020, 10:58:54 am »
And final one, as I was believing that 9V cells never leaks, I was wrong  >:( , victim, my Fluke 87V.  >:( >:( >:(

They very rarely do. Is that battery one of the "six AAAAs inside it" type or the "stack of square cells" type?

The ones with 6xAAAA inside have a tough time getting the goop all the way to the outside.

Pic speaks thousands words ... teardown (savagely  >:D) that offending 9V POS.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective, bd139

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2020, 01:22:28 pm »
Its funny though, so far duracell has been the least leaky for me (non-rechargeable),  ray-O-vac has been the worst and energizer in the middle out of the big three.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2020, 04:47:13 pm »
If the logo is only on the head like that Pelco one you can get another plain Maglite easily enough and swap the head over, they're interchangeable.

Offline Wimberleytech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2020, 05:18:34 pm »
Why do 9V batteries never leak?  At least for me, I have never in my lifetime had one leak.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2020, 05:25:22 pm »
They have a double casing so the leak has to get really bad for it to happen. Most also have fiber top and bottom panels that absorb the leaked electrolyte. Open up your old ones and you'll probably find a lot of them are in fact leaking into the outer casing. It takes very little actual fluid volume to create a nasty corroded mess.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2020, 05:29:15 pm »
9V batteries do however spontaneously blow up though.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2020, 07:44:08 pm »
The only time I've ever seen one blow up is when I tried recharging a 9V alkaline to see what would happen.

Offline dzseki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2020, 09:08:24 pm »
One counter example. I acquired an old photo flash a few years ago, and batteries were still fitted in it, they were Varta Alkaline extra long life batteries. I don't know why but I put one aside, and here we have this thread so I can show you. :D
The battery looks brand new even though the expiration date have passed more than 20 years ago... :o
To be honest the battery is dead flat, so probably not much chemistry left inside to do the nasty stuff, but it is still a good life time...
HP 1720A scope with HP 1120A probe, EMG 12563 pulse generator, EMG 1257 function generator, EMG 1172B signal generator, MEV TR-1660C bench multimeter

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2020, 09:14:53 pm »
Some of the older ones didn't leak at all. This is a good one. Tiny bit of crust but it still worked fine after ~35-40 years when I found it.

That selenium rectifier on the other hand!!!  :scared:

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2020, 09:23:09 pm »
Damn, I used to sell those when I had a Saturday job at Boots as a teenager. SP11 for torches, HP11 for things with motors. Standard leakproof Carbon Zinc.

I still remember the hassle of individually pricing single cylindrical batteries with a price label gun (no multipacks in those days!).  :D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 09:27:16 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2020, 09:30:32 pm »
I remember nicking them from boots  :-DD

Offline bc888

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2020, 04:27:39 am »

I'm so over Duracells aka "Duraleaks". Not sure what they did but if they patented the word "Alkaleaks", they'd at least be honest about it. My last Duraleak purchase from Costco started leaking before they were even out of the package. I'd have missed it but my kid caught it, they were returned half used -walkie talkies were ruined. Not sure what they are doing to cause their product to ruin our electronics, but it's horrifying. I've switched to Eneloops and have not seen any damage yet. Cross your fingers.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2020, 05:12:59 am »
They have a double casing so the leak has to get really bad for it to happen. Most also have fiber top and bottom panels that absorb the leaked electrolyte. Open up your old ones and you'll probably find a lot of them are in fact leaking into the outer casing. It takes very little actual fluid volume to create a nasty corroded mess.

In my case at above Panasonic 9V, the corroded battery's snap terminal looks like caused by corrosive gas/vapor that was vented slowly, no leaked liquid mark/stain at all inside.  :-//

Offline GLouie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2020, 06:19:52 am »
I've gone to lithium "9v" for my Fluke 8060 for these reasons.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2020, 06:55:34 am »
Dang and i thought 9V never leaked. Apparently that is not the case then.

Yeah given the double case design i probably had a 9V leak but didn't see it because the outside case contained it all. But i have been phasing out 9V batteries here as i keep buying multimeters and such with AAs because of the superior battery life and the fact i have lots of AAs and AAAs around the house so a spare battery is easy to come by in a pinch. But then i end up buying expensive lithium AAs for my expensive multimeters so im probably not saving any money on batteries.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2020, 08:02:14 am »
Put this in google images: 9v battery explode

You’ll never sleep again  :-DD

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2020, 01:23:46 pm »

Pic speaks thousands words ... teardown (savagely  >:D) that offending 9V POS.

Not sure what's going on there, there's no staining at all in the other side of the paper (inside the red circle):

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2020, 01:28:37 pm »
Why do 9V batteries never leak?  At least for me, I have never in my lifetime had one leak.

Plus the snap contact isn't directly over an inner-battery terminal so it has quite a way to migrate horizontally, too.

All in all much more difficult for the goop to make it to the outside.

In my case at above Panasonic 9V, the corroded battery's snap terminal looks like caused by corrosive gas/vapor that was vented slowly, no leaked liquid mark/stain at all inside.  :-//

Maybe, but I never heard of "corrosive gas" from batteries before.  :-//

Offline bc888

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2020, 11:53:57 pm »

I learned this from you guys, but a reminder for anyone who doesn't know or missed it: Deoxit works wonders for restoring contact terminals. (the red contact cleaner -they make a blue version used only to prevent damage, won't clean like the red)

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2020, 12:13:40 am »
Just managed to revive my favourite LED inspection torch from leaking duracells.   I tried punching them out...no stuck...."expanded", had to drill them out and take-out the leftover skin.   Cleaned it all up...it just survived.

Never again....went around threw replaced all duracells and threw away new spares.   Duracell's, Never Never Never again!
I'd forget my Head if it wasn't screwed on!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf