Author Topic: Tektronix R5030 restoration  (Read 1053 times)

Offline LapTop006Topic starter

• Supporter
Tektronix R5030 restoration
« on: April 11, 2021, 06:20:09 am »
I've long wanted an analog scope for the lab, purely to have something with a decent XY mode for cases where that's handy (my SRS SR620 counter for example).

I love the old Tek analog scopes, so it was clearly going to be one of those, and after some research decided to go for a model with a bunch of features not seen on many other scopes, dual beam, differential inputs, native current probe inputs, and a fibre status readout (like the 576 curve tracer). The only feature it doesn't have is a storage tube, although the partner model 5031 does.

While these are easy enough to pick up for reasonable prices, by the time you add shipping to Australia they're not cheap, so when one was offered "non working" for a good price I decided to jump. I'd hoped it would arrive in time for the Easter break, but no such luck, and then I also had a missed delivery on top so I only got it on Wednesday.

A first inspection shows almost everything in pretty decent condition, although the power cord is beyond saving. Many of the light-up buttons are clearly broken, a few only have no light, but many don't move at all.

After a quick change of the voltage setting I did do an initial power-on (the power cord may be stuffed, but it does work, and I was happy to do one test), and was even able to get both traces with the beam find buttons, albeit short.

My next task is to replace the power cord, although I'm tempted to cut a hole (or expand the unused remote input hole) and put in an IEC socket, I'll probably just replace the cable. While doing that I'll open the PSU section and see how the caps look. Once that's done it's time to test all the voltages, as my guess is the short traces are probably due to a sagging rail somewhere.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 06:22:00 am by LapTop006 »

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, wolfy007

• Supporter
Re: Tektronix R5030 restoration
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 08:18:40 am »
Went to change the power cord this afternoon, and sure enough the insulation on each conductor had gone too, I'm mildly surprised it didn't short and trip a breaker when I plugged it in.

Annoyingly, but not uncommon the cable entry strain relief / grommet is too chunky to allow a modern solid power cable to be used. I could use a really light one, but that seems like a terrible idea, it also is a bit stuffed, so I might go pick something new up to use as a replacement.

Offline THDplusN_bad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 06:41:30 am »
Congratulations to your new classic Tektronix oscilloscope! It seems you have picket a nice one.

The 5030/R5030 seems pretty rare, at least that's true over here in the EU. It's also one of few dual-beam CROs Tek has made.

Make sure to stay safely away from the HV-circuitry and mind the delicate fiber optics for the switch readout https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/5030

You might want to join https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/, if not already. That is a great group of enthusiasts and ex-Tek employees.

Cheers,

THDplusN_bad

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 07:22:14 am »
Finished replacing the power cable today. Sadly ended up having to do a bit of a hack job on the ground as the nut holding the ground tags was inaccessible so I ended up soldering it to the end of another tag (on that same ground nut) which I could barely access, certainly not ideal, but should be fine.

Once done I plugged in a siggen and confirmed that XY & XT work, both beams are just fine, and even position and size seem fine, the only issues are the various pushbutton switches, and the trigger level control.

Generating the classic ABC 3:1 Lissajous since I live within scope-chucking distance from their headquarters.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 07:23:47 am by LapTop006 »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 01:40:27 am »
I have rebuilt a few of those push-button switches; it is difficult but not impossible.  Usually the greatest difficulty is gaining access.

I assume the dual-beam 5030 was replaced by the dual-beam 5112 with dual 5A22 vertical plug-ins which would have the advantage of supporting delayed sweep with a suitable time-base plug-in.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf