Author Topic: Tektronix TDS500/600/700 NVRAM floppy backup and restore tool  (Read 3870 times)

Offline flyte

• Contributor
Re: Tektronix TDS500/600/700 NVRAM floppy backup and restore tool
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2019, 11:30:47 am »
Thanks a lot for the explanations, flyte.
The problem was that I had console as well as GPIB attached.
Does disconnecting them just lower the chances to get faulty dumps or does it completely eliminate it giving reliable dumps every time? Does it make sense to do a „2 out of 3“ dumps or something to be sure?

It never hurts to do multiple dumps. Yes, I think it's a question of lowering chance of a corrupt dump, but I'm no VxWorks expert and even less so when it comes to the internals implemented by Tektronix. But I've noticed having all sorts of extra interrupts does no good to the dump script. Make sure it is simply idle without anything connected and not displaying/triggering on signals, and take 2-3 dumps to be on the safe side.

In any case, you should rely on the Java-based checksum verifier tool to check if cal data in the dump is valid or not. That's why I've added it. All checksums should be valid and in general non-zero (1/65536 chance it's a valid zero), a single firmware profile should have been indentified, and performing the check over multiple dumps should always yield the same checksum number, with the exception of the sections DIAG, STATE and ENVIRONMENT which can change based on the current settings of the scope. Sections PFCAL, INTCONST and HWACCOUNTANT as well as the acquisition EEPROM section ACQEEPROM (or the EXTCONST section for TDS---A series scope which have none and store everything in NVRAM) should remain invariant across any dump taken. That's where the golden data is stored.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 06:54:02 pm by flyte »

Offline HardyG

• Contributor
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2019, 05:58:03 pm »
Excellent - thanks a lot, flyte  :-+ :)

Offline BrianAS

« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2019, 10:19:55 pm »
Hi,I am new here and have just started playing with TDS scopes . I have used the NVRam minimal dump s/w on my TDS744 -- please note this is not an 'A,B,C,D' version its an original no suffix at all , it seems to have worked first time . I have searched through the .bin file using a HEX editor HxD and the error log is fairly easy to spot but the area where the options are placed seems very hard to locate visually as the locations expected dont contain just a zero or a one .
Firmware version is V1.0e , I had my doubts as everyone seems to have at least an 'A' version scope or better .
Has anyone else used this s/w on such an old scope , was it successful .
Also the little roms 27C04 , located at U1052 and U1055 are actually fitted on my scope , if not used for the later purpose of retaing a copy of CAL data , what were they used for ??

This is a great tool , thank you Flyte for your effort .
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 08:12:30 pm by BrianAS »

Offline .ctro

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2019, 01:35:03 am »
Hi all! Can anybody send dump for TDS520b? I've bricked mine  |O

Offline sorenkir

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2019, 04:35:27 pm »
Hi all! Can anybody send dump for TDS520b? I've bricked mine  |O
Hi,
Dump for 520b is in my post.