Author Topic: Tektronix TLA7000 series CPU, memory and OS upgrade useful?  (Read 5442 times)

Offline MindBenderTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Tektronix TLA7000 series CPU, memory and OS upgrade useful?
« on: March 13, 2018, 11:08:58 am »
Hi everyone,

My Tektronix TLA7012 logic analyzer runs Windows XP on its Pentium M CPU with 1GiB of RAM. As a measurement instrument it works fine, so there is no real need. But if I understood correctly, these instruments are still being sold, albeit with an i5 CPU @2.7GHz, 8GiB of RAM running Windows 7.

The CPU, even though it's a mobile type, is socketed. It is useful to upgrade this instrument with an i5 CPU, as much RAM I can fit and Windows 7? Or even Windows 10? Has anybody even done this?

Cheers,

Robert.

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
Re: Tektronix TLA7000 series CPU, memory and OS upgrade useful?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 11:50:14 am »
Windows 10?! Why would you want to downgrade your machine? :-DD
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Offline Scratch.HTF

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 07:47:29 am »
How about a project to convert test equipment to run on Linux?
If it runs on Linux, there is some hackability in it.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 07:48:54 pm »
I wouldn't bother 'upgrading'. A newer Windows version is more like a downgrade than an upgrade due to needing more resources. A useful upgrade will be an SSD and more memory. Don't expect the software to become any faster though. The software is sloooow by design and it doesn't load the CPU 100%.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 08:53:46 pm »
That's a sensible suggestion. An SSD is easy to install, just like RAM, and it will probably do a lot more than a faster CPU, with all the risks attached to installing it and the BIOS not supporting it.

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 09:30:07 pm »
Yeah, the swap up of the OS is a lot harder of a sale in my book because of the potential compatibility issues - even if the current version is similar, there could be some small difference on the main board or interface method that doesn't support the older logic analyzer configuration with current drivers.... then you've got to go hack through them yourself.

That said, since it was designed to work on XP and much more meager resources, scaling to the top class parts that will fit in the motherboard is probably pretty decent.  You want to check TDP and stuff as well, but swapping up to a better processor supported by the chipset (if it's a third party PC module, you can probably verify what steppings and cores are supported), maxing out the memory at its fastest speed grade supported, and swapping the drive for a solid state disk of some sort (parallel ATA interfaces can still only go so fast, but the seek times will drop dramatically) are all decent options and should be very cheap to do.  It's only really going to improve load times and computational tasks - nothing to do with capturing data or offloading it to the PC for processing and display - but in some cases that can be a really nice performance increase.

There are potential benefits to newer hardware and operating systems, but with the potential for driver issues, the overall extra cost increase, and the fact that it doesn't improve much of the functionality of the instrument that exists outside of the PC portion, it rarely seems worth it, in my eyes.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 08:33:42 pm »
Ok, just for completeness: Not all TLA7012 are fitted with the same main board. I don't know the manufacturer of these industrial boards, but that doesn't really matter, because replacing a whole main board would be a bit much for an upgrade.

The main board in my frame is based upon the Intel 915GM chip set and the fasted CPU compatible with it, is the Pentium M780. The CPU currently fitted is a Pentium M760 and the only difference between the two is that the M780 runs at 2.26GHz, while the M760 runs at 2.0GHz. This measly 13% extra CPU power will not make the look & feel any smoother.

The main board itself is fitted with two SO-DIMMs of 512MiB each, 533MHz, CL4. The chip set is said to be compatible with DDR3, though DDR3 SO-DIMMs are noticed differently due to electric incompatibility. So the only upgrade possible here is to increase the size, but not by much, because the 32-bit physical address only offers 4GiB of address space. With PCI usually taking 1GiB, there's only 3GiB of address space left for RAM. 2 GiB DDR2 SO-DIMMs do exist, but rare, hence expensive and unlikely to be compatible. Corsair 1GiB SO-DIMMs cost €12 per piece, so that's a no-brainer.

An Intel DC S4600 240GiB SSD costs around €180 and is enterprise-grade, hence reliable and power-fail robust. This will probably do the most for the look and feel.

Now let's see if we can upgrade this beautiful beast! It doesn't seem to like all the Windows XP updates...

Offline j_hallows

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 01:32:40 am »
Ok, just for completeness: Not all TLA7012 are fitted with the same main board. I don't know the manufacturer of these industrial boards, but that doesn't really matter, because replacing a whole main board would be a bit much for an upgrade.

TLA7012 Generation 1 Board is a Radisys ENDURA AB915GM. I don't know what the Generation 2 Core i5 motherboard is. The TLA7012 Generation 2 Chassis is also different.

Maximum memory on TLA7012 Generation 1 motherboard is 2GB.

The following users thanked this post: TiN, MindBender

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 07:18:48 am »
TLA7012 Generation 1 Board is a Radisys ENDURA AB915GM. I don't know what the Generation 2 Core i5 motherboard is. The TLA7012 Generation 2 Chassis is also different.
Now that's useful information! I have found the manual and attached it to this post. I hope I am allowed to do that. It says that the CPU socket is a 479-pin tool activated
ZIF PGA socket for ?FC-PGA processor packages, so replacing the CPU may be a bit more cumbersome than expected.
The manual says:
The AB915GM motherboard has two DIMM sockets to accept 64-bit, non-ECC, non-parity DDR2
SO-DIMM memory modules ranging from 128MB to 2GB. The sockets may be populated in
either order and each can accept either single or double-sided modules.

That leaves the option open to install 2x 2GiB modules, if the CPU supports PAE. ARK specifies the Pentium M 760 to have 32-bit PAE, but that's a bit ambiguous unless it doesn't include PCI address space. In that case 4GiB should be be possible, otherwise perhaps 3GiB may still be a possibility. Unfortunately, 2GiB DDR2 SO-DIMMs are too expensive for the experiment.

Offline j_hallows

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 03:22:53 pm »
That leaves the option open to install 2x 2GiB modules, if the CPU supports PAE. ARK specifies the Pentium M 760 to have 32-bit PAE, but that's a bit ambiguous unless it doesn't include PCI address space. In that case 4GiB should be be possible, otherwise perhaps 3GiB may still be a possibility.

I don't think the Chipset allows more than 2GB.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 04:54:08 pm »
Now you're making me curious. I've just ordered two 2GiB SO-DIMMs and we'll find out in a couple of days...

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 02:12:49 pm »
Update
You were right: I am not able to get it to work with >2GiB of RAM. On the bright side though, it accepts DDR2 800MHz (PC2-6400) perfectly fine. Even a single 2GiB SO-DIMM is not problem. But with two of them, I don't even get a BIOS screen. No BIOS error beeps either.
I had mixed results combining a 2GiB SO-DIMM with a 1GiB SO-DIMM. Some times I didn't get a BIOS screen, some times it reported to have 2GiB. This could still be due to the mixed timing between the two: The 1GiB SO-DIMM is a DDR2 533MHz (PC2-4200), but that clock rating is screamingly expensive in 2GiB versions. So I'll stick with the 2GiB I have now. I would have like to have 3GiB, but beggars can't be choosers.

Thanks for your input, guys!

Offline RomDump

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 03:26:07 pm »
Update
You were right: I am not able to get it to work with >2GiB of RAM. On the bright side though, it accepts DDR2 800MHz (PC2-6400) perfectly fine. Even a single 2GiB SO-DIMM is not problem. But with two of them, I don't even get a BIOS screen. No BIOS error beeps either.
I had mixed results combining a 2GiB SO-DIMM with a 1GiB SO-DIMM. Some times I didn't get a BIOS screen, some times it reported to have 2GiB. This could still be due to the mixed timing between the two: The 1GiB SO-DIMM is a DDR2 533MHz (PC2-4200), but that clock rating is screamingly expensive in 2GiB versions. So I'll stick with the 2GiB I have now. I would have like to have 3GiB, but beggars can't be choosers.

Thanks for your input, guys!

Went through the same thing with my TLA7012. Well you learnt something  now.  :)
--
RomDump

Offline pquadrat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2019, 07:05:54 pm »
Anyone tried to upgrade a Tek TLA7012 to Windows 7 and a newer Motherboard?

I did not succeed yet. I used a Gigabyte G41 and G43-Chipset Board with Core2Duo E8400 CPU, and installed Windows 7 64 bit. The driver for the Teklink Interface does not load correctly. Missing Resources.

With Windows 7 32bit the TLA application always complains about a missing visa32.dll, which is present in both system32 and the program directory.

Any hints?

Offline RomDump

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2019, 09:40:11 pm »
With Windows 7 32bit the TLA application always complains about a missing visa32.dll, which is present in both system32 and the program directory.

Any hints?

I assume you installed and have running TEKVISA and didn't just copy the visa32.dll over? You may want to uninstall and reinstall TekVisa.

I didn't upgrade the O/S on my TLA7012 so I am really no help.
--
RomDump

Offline pquadrat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 10:31:25 am »
Did anyone succeed in using Windows 7 on a TLA7012 ?

I tried it with the original Pentium M motherboard, all drivers load without any errors, but the TLA Application will not start, it tells onla "Updating Configuration".

The problem of my brevious post is a problem of some pCI hardware with certain boards.

Offline pquadrat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2019, 06:46:50 pm »
Some success on "upgrading" my Tek TLA7012:

I upgraded to a Pentium M 770 and 2GB RAM, all experiments with other mainboards did not work with the TekLink interface. And a Sata SSD, of course. Runs quite well now.

Next step was to get Windows 7 working with the Tek Software and drivers, after several attempts I got the drivers working, no error messages.
I tried it again, installing in different steps between the different versions, sometimes it gives a working system, sometimes not ("Updating Configuration" message).
I can not tell You which way works, and which does not, but with some trying, it does work.

And the last step was to upgrade the display to a 1600x1200 resolution. The display from an old IBM ThinkPad A30p has this resolution, and exactly the same form factor, all mounting holes are a perfect fit. Just had to make a new lvds cable and play with the bios settings for the internal lvds connector.

Display type is IDTech IAUX14S.

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2019, 08:56:48 pm »
And the last step was to upgrade the display to a 1600x1200 resolution. The display from an old IBM ThinkPad A30p has this resolution, and exactly the same form factor, all mounting holes are a perfect fit. Just had to make a new lvds cable and play with the bios settings for the internal lvds connector.

Display type is IDTech IAUX14S.

Thanks for the tip on the LCD, that's one of the upgrades that's still on my TODO list. Did you keep the original touchscreen layer?

I went through similar troubles with my TLA7012 (originally TLA6204).

I've spent considerable amount of time trying to get a bit more modern motherboard to run (my one originally has AIMB-256G2-00A1E).  I've got a lot of components, adapters and PCI/PCIe extensions from my experiments on modernising my LeCroy WaveRunner 6100A.

I've tried some industrial ITX board with Haswell i7, through various PCIe to PCI adapters, then I've tried some Asus motherboard (with the same Haswell CPU) that has PCI built-in (but also via PCIe to PCI bridge IC) - no success at all. Absolute mess and desperation can be seen on the photos.

So I gave up, went back to the original MoBo, upgraded the CPU to Core2 Duo E8335, added AFAIR extra 2GB RAM stick, so it runs with 3GB RAM, haven't tried 4GB but there is probably no point. It has SSD and runs Win7x64.

Not as nice as I would have wanted, but good enough.

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2019, 12:11:13 am »
Nohope.jpg sums it all. Often custom proprietary stuff like these Tek boxes run on non-standard PCI/memory mapping "hacks" already, making it work thru even more non-standard implementations like noname PCIe bridges is a path to despair.

I run my TLA with Core Extreme CPU and 4GB RAMs + SSD, found it nice enough to use for all my needs. Should find some time to try TLA7SA16 module in action, oh well..
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline pquadrat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2019, 07:48:50 pm »

Thanks for the tip on the LCD, that's one of the upgrades that's still on my TODO list. Did you keep the original touchscreen layer?

Yes, i kept it, but up to now I have only the windows 7 driver, which has no calibration tool. The XP driver used on the TLA7012 made all mouse functions dysfunctional.
How does Your touch screen works on Windows 7?

Do You think an Advantech AIMB-582QG2 board is worth a try?

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2019, 08:37:44 pm »
Yes, i kept it, but up to now I have only the windows 7 driver, which has no calibration tool. The XP driver used on the TLA7012 made all mouse functions dysfunctional.
How does Your touch screen works on Windows 7?
It does. I don't remember if it worked out of the box or if I had to download the drivers from here:
https://www.elotouch.com/support/downloads#/

There is a control panel applet for calibration. It says "Elo Touchscreen Control Panel. Version 5.8.2"

Do You think an Advantech AIMB-582QG2 board is worth a try?

Cannot tell, mine just came with it and PCI works, so that's all I have.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2019, 06:57:06 pm »
Often custom proprietary stuff like these Tek boxes run on non-standard PCI/memory mapping "hacks" already, making it work thru even more non-standard implementations like noname PCIe bridges is a path to despair.

Yes; High performance equipment like this often uses special settings in the PCIe bus switches to get out every last bit of bandwidth they can. I know this from personal experience, because I have done this for a customer, a manufacturer of similar high bandwidth equipment.
These settings could be put in the EEPROMs attached to the switches, or even set in the bridges at run-time. One could even argue that mainstream mainboard manufacturers don't put in a lot of effort to get the most our of these settings. Or, alternatively, go for very safe settings, compatibility wise.

I run my TLA with Core Extreme CPU and 4GB RAMs + SSD, found it nice enough to use for all my needs. Should find some time to try TLA7SA16 module in action, oh well..

On the standard board? Please do tell us more!

Offline d37duck

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2020, 03:03:52 pm »
Hi,

I have a first generation TLA7012 with no disk.  The BIOS talks when powered up there is nothing to boot.  I want to install a disk and OS.  I assume I'll need the chipset and device drivers for the Radisys AB915GM mother board.  Can someone please tell me were to get them.

Thanks

Offline chriva

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2020, 04:44:37 pm »
Pentium M are rather weak so I'd keep it on XP.
You can _NOT_ upgrade to an i5 since it has a different socket and architecture.

Given your current processor speed I'd say it has a Banias based Pentium M. ie 400 MHz FSB so it might not be compatible with the later Dothan cores. It all depends on bios and chipset version.

Windows 10 is much easier on the hardware than Windows 7 but I still don't think it has the grunt to properly run it.
Don't believe the Windows 7 fanboys

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2020, 05:10:13 pm »
Don't bother too much. The Tektronix software runs slow anyway and it doesn't use the processor fully.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf