Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15704800 times)

MrYakimovYA and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #104075 on: October 05, 2021, 06:04:12 pm »

Of course, this was, as usual, dropped in my lap as my wife was headed out the door, and I had a bench covered with other projects in progress... |O

There is no other way  :horse: :rant:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #104076 on: October 05, 2021, 06:10:29 pm »

my new dust sucker arrived. a whee bit overbombing, but ...Festool CTH 26 E

Oh, would you lookit that nice 11-bit $$$ pricetag...?  :-DD

I just spent a couple hours yesterday booty-fabbing our dirtsucker because I'm damned if I'll spend 8 bits $$$ on a new hose for it, no matter how good it sucks dirt. Which it does; just the hose no longer provided power for the beater head.

Of course, this was, as usual, dropped in my lap as my wife was headed out the door, and I had a bench covered with other projects in progress... |O

mnem
*adds another item to his Thrifting hit list*

understandable. However 2 things to consider:
home use dust suckers now have a wattage limitation because sucking dust is not energy efficient ... sez the EU. which is why new dust suckers are somewhat weak.
The Festool is an industrial one without that limitation. It also sucks up liquids, and you can use it to suck up dust you create when sanding down mold from the wall, or restoring old arcade stuff that has lots of unhealthy stuff in it that you would be sanding down directly into your lungs.

It will be used for renovating, but also used for sucking up dust created by woodwork.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #104077 on: October 05, 2021, 06:11:19 pm »
Hi fellow addicts!

Short update on me being lurking around here for the last weeks/months:
  • I'm very busy at work. One tightly scheduled project follows anotherone -corona-laziness? Not for me so far..
        (I have lost four kg in the last 3 1/2 weeks (8kg since feb. 2021), have started eating only very energy-rich food to stop that.)
  • My wife and I found a house that suits us and we finally bought it. Sort of. Contract signed, process started..
  • Negotiating with several craftsmen (electrician, glazier, painter and decorator..) is real work going through their offers if you don't want surprises after their work is done.
  • I will still have an office/lab together with my wife, slightly larger than the old one.
  • I will be able to mount my GPS-antenna in a good view of the southern hemisphere at last!  :-+

No TEA here in the near future because the money goes elsewhere. hmm.   :-\
I'll have to move my TEA-repair queue..   :scared:   :-DD

Glad bd isn't chatting here currently.   >:D    :-DD
-I wouldn't be able to catch up every few days.   :phew:

...crawling away to relax for the rest of today..
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, mansaxel, Kosmic

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104078 on: October 05, 2021, 06:26:55 pm »
Hi fellow addicts!

Short update on me being lurking around here for the last weeks/months:
  • I'm very busy at work. One tightly scheduled project follows anotherone -corona-laziness? Not for me so far..
        (I have lost four kg in the last 3 1/2 weeks (8kg since feb. 2021), have started eating only very energy-rich food to stop that.)
  • My wife and I found a house that suits us and we finally bought it. Sort of. Contract signed, process started..
  • Negotiating with several craftsmen (electrician, glazier, painter and decorator..) is real work going through their offers if you don't want surprises after their work is done.
  • I will still have an office/lab together with my wife, slightly larger than the old one.
  • I will be able to mount my GPS-antenna in a good view of the southern hemisphere at last!  :-+

No TEA here in the near future because the money goes elsewhere. hmm.   :-\
I'll have to move my TEA-repair queue..   :scared:   :-DD

Glad bd isn't chatting here currently.   >:D    :-DD
-I wouldn't be able to catch up every few days.   :phew:

...crawling away to relax for the rest of today..
Yeah, I was thinking that it seems quiet on here without bd being around. I hope he's OK.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104079 on: October 05, 2021, 06:29:39 pm »
Oooo, Page 4164, the backbone of the 8-bit computer industry. This one needs to be celebrated....

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, capt bullshot, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #104080 on: October 05, 2021, 06:49:01 pm »
thanks. Tomorrow some TEA, they will throw him into the MRT. Depending on the outcome there's a chance they'll put him under the knife again for additional heart surgery.
FML ...

btw. I know it is blatantly off topic, but daughter's MRT was inconclusive in so far as they have not found anything (which on the positive side means that they found neither brain tumor nor multiple sclerosis indications). I would very much like to know however what's going on.

Yet another positive thing: last week was the 1st week that I did more than 100 km of walking and burned > 24500 kcals. currently at 29 kg weight loss since I started out in May. 11 kg until my 1st objective is reached, have lost about 3 sizes already.

Play safe and make sure that you stop shrinking before you look like Norman Bates' mother.  >:D :scared:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #104081 on: October 05, 2021, 07:00:16 pm »

In other news... I'm pucked!

The other day when I picked up those Roombas at the Thrift, I also picked up a couple of these LED lighting ballasts; nice ones with completely enclosed connection bay. I was figuring I'd have to do some hacking to get the right voltage, as they're 20-27V/350mA CC supplies. Turns out that with the internal series resistors in these pucks, they work perfectly if I series/parallel them as 2 strings of 24V lights, with excellent output at approx 2.2W per puck.

As the ballast are supposed to be part of some recessed lighting kit, they have some goofy 3-wire circuit that's supposed to allow for setting the color temp with a switch; I just need the power pack itself, so I need to make a little PCB with the same plugs as the puck lights use. Easy peasy.

Another project made possible with that cheap kit of matrix PCBs off Amazon. ;)

mnem
*lit as puck*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104082 on: October 05, 2021, 07:18:41 pm »

I just spent a couple hours yesterday booty-fabbing our dirtsucker because I'm damned if I'll spend 8 bits $$$ on a new hose for it, no matter how good it sucks dirt. Which it does; just the hose no longer provided power for the beater head.

Of course, this was, as usual, dropped in my lap as my wife was headed out the door, and I had a bench covered with other projects in progress... |O[/i]
home use dust suckers now have a wattage limitation because sucking dust is not energy efficient ... sez the EU. which is why new dust suckers are somewhat weak.

The Festool is an industrial one without that limitation. It also sucks up liquids, and you can use it to suck up dust you create when sanding down mold from the wall, or restoring old arcade stuff that has lots of unhealthy stuff in it that you would be sanding down directly into your lungs.

It will be used for renovating, but also used for sucking up dust created by woodwork.
Yeah, I have the ol' standby 20-gal Shop-Vac for that kindof stuff; even have a couple saws & sanders with a hose that plugs right into it. The Shop-Vacs made in the last couple decades have a big cylindrical pleated-paper filter inside looks like a ol' K&N filter-charger out of a hot-rod, with a foam filter sleeve over that. They do a pretty good job of keeping the dust in and only letting air out; pretty much as good as you're gonna get short of proper HEPA-certified. Unfortunately, you have to take that filter off for wet-sucking or it becomes a allergen hazard; when they get wet they grow black mold/mildew in what seems like overnight. :scared:

Down in Tejas I kept my old one for wet work and only used my new one for dry; that worked pretty well at keeping the two miseries separate. :-+

I'm assuming they don't classify a Shop-Vac as a consumer dirt-sucker, correct?

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #104083 on: October 05, 2021, 07:21:39 pm »
Yeah, I was thinking that it seems quiet on here without bd being around. I hope he's OK.
He certainly was on Discord last weekend but nuts deep in a new project for a while.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #104084 on: October 05, 2021, 07:28:49 pm »
Yeah, I have the ol' standby 20-gal Shop-Vac for that kindof stuff; even have a couple saws & sanders with a hose that plugs right into it.

mnem
A toy one.  :P
Years ago not wanting the ongoing job of sweeping up sawdust in the shed I made one from a drum with an old segmented Electrolux Vac sucky part screwed onto the lid and fastened with a drum ring seal. Worked great too until the old Electrolux decided decades of service was enough and threw in the towel. Zzzzzt !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104085 on: October 05, 2021, 07:35:16 pm »
thanks. Tomorrow some TEA, they will throw him into the MRT. Depending on the outcome there's a chance they'll put him under the knife again for additional heart surgery.
FML ...

btw. I know it is blatantly off topic, but daughter's MRT was inconclusive in so far as they have not found anything (which on the positive side means that they found neither brain tumor nor multiple sclerosis indications). I would very much like to know however what's going on.

Yet another positive thing: last week was the 1st week that I did more than 100 km of walking and burned > 24500 kcals. currently at 29 kg weight loss since I started out in May. 11 kg until my 1st objective is reached, have lost about 3 sizes already.

Play safe and make sure that you stop shrinking before you look like Norman Bates' mother.  >:D :scared:
That image is almost as bad that octogenarian stripper and thats another image that I shall struggle to forget  |O
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #104086 on: October 05, 2021, 07:36:12 pm »
And here's me, with nothing more exciting to mend than the microwave oven. The little plastic peg that holds the spring that retains the door catch that engages the safety microswitch is broken. After a session of disassembly-foo, some plastic glue, Araldite and a sawn-off nail as reinforcement, we may have a fix. Got to wait for the glues to dry first

Youngest boy had to poke a bit at the torque wrench for the roof rack bolts as he was waiting for me shopping. It's been loctite-CA-mended now.  I'm trying to get hold of 5mm insulating clear PVC hose for my multicable project. It is turning out to be something of a hassle. Oh, I can buy it alright, but either in 305m or 100m pieces.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104087 on: October 05, 2021, 07:37:10 pm »
He certainly was on Discord last weekend but nuts deep in a new project for a while.
Yeah, I knew that he was about to go deep into that one, I think it is a result of the extra hat he gained  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #104088 on: October 05, 2021, 07:37:34 pm »

Congrats to your new home and good luck finding craftsmen that actually do want to work for you. I had no luck finding them. Normally they never answer any calls or just go invisible after trying to contact them... Currently hoping that the defective gas heater will be replaced near the (losely named) date end of october (ordered beginning of august).

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #104089 on: October 05, 2021, 07:38:20 pm »
    the Festool is certified to filter out harmful stuff to within workplace limits.
    So it has a HEPA filter in it and is even certified for asbestos and black mold.

@Specmaster: and it's not a Dyson ...

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
    • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
    « Reply #104090 on: October 05, 2021, 07:50:16 pm »

Of course, this was, as usual, dropped in my lap as my wife was headed out the door, and I had a bench covered with other projects in progress... |O[/i]

Yeah, I have the ol' standby 20-gal Shop-Vac for that kindof stuff; even have a couple saws & sanders with a hose that plugs right into it. The Shop-Vacs made in the last couple decades have a big cylindrical pleated-paper filter inside looks like a ol' K&N filter-charger out of a hot-rod, with a foam filter sleeve over that. They do a pretty good job of keeping the dust in and only letting air out; pretty much as good as you're gonna get short of proper HEPA-certified. Unfortunately, you have to take that filter off for wet-sucking or it becomes a allergen hazard; when they get wet they grow black mold/mildew in what seems like overnight. :scared:

Down in Tejas I kept my old one for wet work and only used my new one for dry; that worked pretty well at keeping the two miseries separate. :-+

I'm assuming they don't classify a Shop-Vac as a consumer dirt-sucker, correct?

mnem

I have a workshop vacuum from RIGID, which is very similar to a shop-vac.
    It comes with a cylindrical pleated HEPA filter that can be washed out and then dried.
    The filter when wet becomes a restriction on the suction and air-flow; best removed when sucking wet.
    This one uses a cylinder float to prevent mass water entry into the motor; shop-vac uses a ball & cup for said protection.

Maybe the RIGID filter will fit on the Shop-vac to achieve HEPA filtering?

EDIT:
    Works for asbestos and black mold is impressive; that explains the price tag on the Fesstool.

The ONE thing Dyson is good for is picking up large amounts of dog & cat fur.  I know for certain!  The worst part is the amount of time spent vacuuming the Dyson attachments  :wtf:
    « Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 07:55:25 pm by cyclin_al »

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
    • EE meid in Itali
    « Reply #104091 on: October 05, 2021, 08:00:20 pm »
    the Festool is certified to filter out harmful stuff to within workplace limits.
    So it has a HEPA filter in it and is even certified for asbestos and black mold.

@Specmaster: and it's not a Dyson ...

Festool is also addictive... pay attention....
    Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
    Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #104092 on: October 05, 2021, 08:03:59 pm »
    my new dust sucker arrived. a whee bit overbombing, but ...
    Festool CTH 26 E
    You have me nearly convinced. I still have my reservations regarding that company, but las, I don't have to work there. I will await your report of actual usability, though.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #104093 on: October 05, 2021, 08:12:30 pm »
    I worked with the CTM 36 E AC plus some sanders such as the ETS EC 150/5 with glass fibre resin. I did not get any dust onto my fingers or into my airways. Sanding down glass fibre is what I would call hazardous to your health ...

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, mnementh

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #104094 on: October 05, 2021, 08:15:36 pm »
    Wondering if they haven't been retrofitted post manufacture either in this case if if the part below is the matching one? No date on this change from the original manual. That manual shows the more proud version on mine which is an early serial number.

Some more pics and serial numbers in this thread from others. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hp-735a-dc-transfer-standard/

No they are original for the older ones, with the extra lamp fitted, see the circuit diagram where it's mentioned as being deleted after s/n 00736, is yours below s/n 00737?

Picture from the 1965 hp catalog.

David

Interesting so the low profile one is the 'old' one and then the manual I have (1966) was updated with the graphics and pictures for the 'new' more proud square one. Mine is #1434. Bit surprising in some ways as the low profile looks like a more modern design and if replacing it was a supply/cost or performance issue  :-//

New front cover added to my list of stuff to do  :palm:

Actually your 735A is quite a late one (1973 according to the chart you posted in the other thread), see the last page of the Agilent pdf that covers s/n 976-01186 & later, dated October 1971. The 735A seems to disappear from the catalogs after 1972, even though a 1974 one is shown in the thread.

Here are a couple of pictures of the oldest one I've seen, number 504-00115 or 00116 (hard to see last digit).

David

Damn - given that they started serial numbers at 00100, that's the 15th or 16th one produced for sale!  Seeing this pop up prompted me to dig the one I got a few years ago out.  Someone with penis fingers had been at it as several resistors on the range switch are disconnected at one end, and one is completely loose and has a much later date code on it, so I'm not sure what sort of buggery the poor thing was subjected to.  Finding that caused me to button it up and store it a few years ago when I first got it; seeing this makes me inclined to dig into it again.

Mine's a later eng rev, but still 65-ish for a time frame.

It's also missing the printing on most of the wheels in the counting dial.  That should be a fun fix...   :palm:

It doesn't appear to have led an easy life.

-Pat

Mine are also revision 547, s/n are #259 & #569, the charts inside are dated 1965 & 1967.

A bit of searching earlier found a more suitable manual (1965 edition) on elektrotanya. The older counter dial was apparently made by Amphenol, part no. 1140-0022 (3141-2).
    The later manual gives part no. 1140-0047, but the same OEM no. that can't be right given it's completely different.  :palm: Can't find anything on the web for any of those numbers.

David

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #104095 on: October 05, 2021, 08:22:48 pm »
    Yeah, I knew that he was about to go deep into that one, I think it is a result of the extra hat he gained  :palm:

I'm not sure he's OK, seems to have been temporarily cured of TE addition & been busy selling nearly everything again.  :-DD

David

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #104096 on: October 05, 2021, 08:31:35 pm »
    Early-ish hp 524xL* counter in Berlin if anyone is interested, auction is collection, but the description says to ask about shipping.  :-//

https://www.ebay.de/itm/313694390439

*Model number obscured by note, looking at my saved pictures it could be 5243L or 5245L, but most likely the latter.

David

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
    • Numbers, not adjectives
      • Having fun doing more, with less
    « Reply #104097 on: October 05, 2021, 08:33:41 pm »

I'm not sure he's OK, seems to have been temporarily cured of TE addition & been busy selling nearly everything again.  :-DD

That's SOP for him. It must be that phase of the moon again.
    There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
    Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
    Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
    • Nixie addict
      • Photos of electronic gear
    « Reply #104098 on: October 05, 2021, 08:48:22 pm »

mnem
    *adds another item to his Thrifting hit list*

Wow - Lee Valley bends you over HARD!!  I've ordered Festool stuff from Beaver Industrial Supply - $740, while painful, is certainly a lot more palatable than a kilobuck!  (Or are those Canuckistanian Pesos it's priced in? - that'd make more sense)
    https://beavertools.com/festool-24/festool/festool-dust-extractors-2/577083-festool-hepa-certified-dust-extractor-ct-26-e.html

That said, those dust extractors are sweet - bought a CT 48 eight years ago when I got my Kapex, and it works a treat.  Buy once, cry once.

-Pat
    If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #104099 on: October 05, 2021, 09:34:55 pm »
    Yeah, I have the ol' standby 20-gal Shop-Vac for that kindof stuff; even have a couple saws & sanders with a hose that plugs right into it.

mnem
    A toy one.  :P
    Years ago not wanting the ongoing job of sweeping up sawdust in the shed I made one from a drum with an old segmented Electrolux Vac sucky part screwed onto the lid and fastened with a drum ring seal. Worked great too until the old Electrolux decided decades of service was enough and threw in the towel. Zzzzzt !

That was the dust collector on grand-dad's wood shop. 55-gal drum with a old hand-truck strapped to it.

20-gal is the right size for normal people and most dwagons; big enough for most jobs, small enough you don't kill yourself hauling it to the trashcan. :-DD

mnem
    *currently pucking the kitchen cabinets*

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
    Smf