Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15265633 times)

marcumr and 28 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #10100 on: April 30, 2018, 08:32:08 pm »
That’s a surprise! Romford innit. Got unsuccessfully carjacked there in the town multi storey car park once so YMMV.
They reconsidered when they saw it was a, what was it again? Fiat Panda?

Was driving a Rover 416 then (Honda Turdmobile with a Rover badge on it). Guy was stoned so I just drove off

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10101 on: April 30, 2018, 08:32:32 pm »
That’s a surprise! Romford innit. Got unsuccessfully carjacked there in the town multi storey car park once so YMMV.

Maybe they realised they were being chased by coppers on push-bikes. No way they'd escape in a Panda.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #10102 on: April 30, 2018, 08:32:49 pm »
Yeah you're right, I never asked for a currency conversion, I can do that for myself >:D
And if you want to get into a fight with a programmer, ask for a concurrency conversion.

If you want to have all your accounts locked out with a 78-character random-generated password and your profile page redirected to multiple random zoophile sites, tell him "It's called multitasking!" when he complains about the work load.  :-DD

mnem
"God is real; unless declared integer."
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10103 on: April 30, 2018, 08:33:59 pm »
UKAS just says the government certified they’re not muppets.

Outcome is the same AFAIK. Sometimes people want to know that the company they’re paying to do something isn’t using dell boy down the market so that adds a suitable paper trail.

Basically get a traceable cal done from someone who does UKAS :)
A sensible answer that concurs with my thoughts. Anyone who knows anything to with meters and standards knows that RS aren't muppets and in any case I'm not intending to sell the meter so I'm certainly not paying another £19 just to another piece of paper that states the UK government approves of them. I can write that myself on a piece of paper and present to myself along with the RS certificate of calibration (assuming they don't turn it down like the one in Romford did)

I noticed a lot of cal places only do “testers” and seem to be run by chav trolls who spend more time calibrating what’s in their trousers. Phoned two and then just searched UKAS outfits.
The one in Romford was a UKAS outfit as well  :-//

Well to perfectly factual, Harold Park, between Romford and Brentwood, just a shade more up market but not much.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10104 on: April 30, 2018, 08:35:38 pm »
Well to perfectly factual, Harold Park, between Romford and Brentwood, just a shade more up market but not much.

That’s only better because the A12 goes up a hill and the zombies can’t get up it :)

I lived right at the bottom once, Leyton stabbyland.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10105 on: April 30, 2018, 08:38:00 pm »

That’s only better because the A12 goes up a hill and the zombies can’t get up it :)

I lived right at the bottom once, Leyton stabbyland.
I suppose we all have our crosses to bear.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10106 on: April 30, 2018, 08:41:30 pm »
I don't mind big pix; I just try and make my replies smaller by resizing pics other folks have already seen. You can still see all that luscious Philips pulchritude just by clicking on the thumbs.  ;D

This is something I really don't understand: Why would you even include/quote the pictures that are already in this thread in your reply? Sometimes I see one sentence replies that quote an enormous post and I really can't imagine why... I guess its not taking any server storage space but still I have to scroll past something I have already seen at least one time to get to the reply  :-//

Because very often the reply is a page or three after the original post, and it points to relevance. I also add thumbs to pix that are just attachments if the conversation is about something in the pic; I consider it to be simple courtesy.

In this case, however, it was mostly so I could repost some truly delicious TEA pr0n and thereby have a hand in promoting it.  :-DD

I also consider it to be simple courtesy to (SNIP) out excessive iterations of older posts in my replies; I do it all the time.

I guess my definition of "excessive" and yours differ.  :-// Oh well.

mnem
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 08:44:59 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10107 on: April 30, 2018, 08:42:30 pm »

Was driving a Rover 416 then (Honda Turdmobile with a Rover badge on it). Guy was stoned so I just drove off
I had a bloke stoned out of his head tried to stop me in the middle of Bury St Edmunds a few years ago when I had my manager in the car with me, he was scared shitless, just as well really, I didn't fancy him crapping my new car.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10108 on: April 30, 2018, 08:43:31 pm »
I used to live in Rochford, just outside Southend. Amazing how different it is from the bits of Essex that have been swallowed up by London, given it's only separated by 20 minutes or so of greenery.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10109 on: April 30, 2018, 08:49:47 pm »
These days its more like part of Southend, the bit of green between is getting smaller year by year.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10110 on: April 30, 2018, 09:01:25 pm »
My sister lives in saafend.

Slightly back in TEA I actually bought a blue LED once in Southend Maplin for the princely price of £5 (today’s money about £10/$14) because it was new and shiny and they were the only one that had any left. Took it home and had blown it up within 5 minutes. Also a Maplin precision gold DMM for not much more which I have at my parents somewhere. Bet the battery has leaked by now.

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10111 on: April 30, 2018, 09:02:33 pm »
It starts to get really strange once you get out past the Crouch and onto the Denghie peninsula.  :scared:
Them's that dies'll be the lucky ones!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10112 on: April 30, 2018, 09:03:41 pm »
Caravans out there full of rotting flesh?

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10113 on: April 30, 2018, 09:04:40 pm »
My sister lives in saafend.

Slightly back in TEA I actually bought a blue LED once in Southend Maplin for the princely price of £5 (today’s money about £10/$14) because it was new and shiny and they were the only one that had any left. Took it home and had blown it up within 5 minutes. Also a Maplin precision gold DMM for not much more which I have at my parents somewhere. Bet the battery has leaked by now.

Good job you went to Maplins and not one of the chandleries that litter the seafront. They like to bum-smack anyone with a boat, even for LEDs.

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10114 on: April 30, 2018, 09:12:26 pm »

No, just Denghie-folk. It's like The Hills Have Eyes.

Really back on the TEA, I've finally put together a proper DBT in a box, with a socket, rather than the cobbled together thing I was using. It's a bit plasticky, but I may paint it. I'm shrinking a piccy (pesky limit), brb.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10115 on: April 30, 2018, 09:15:44 pm »

Zombies managed to get of Romford then. My Mum was born in Saafend and now I've got a Nephew and Cousin living there. Are you sure that was Blue LED you got at Maplins there and not one of those fake police rotating blue lights that were so popular at discos a while back? £5 for LED does seem excessive even for the Saafend mafia cough Maplin.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10116 on: April 30, 2018, 09:17:41 pm »

Zombies managed to get of Romford then. My Mum was born in Saafend and now I've got a Nephew and Cousin living there. Are you sure that was Blue LED you got at Maplins there and not one of those fake police rotating blue lights that were so popular at discos a while back? £5 for LED does seem excessive even for the Saafend mafia cough Maplin.

Yeah blue LEDs had just come on the market then. I paid more for a white one when they came out too!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10117 on: April 30, 2018, 09:18:37 pm »
Just got all excited, had email from RS... just a confirmation of my email stating that they'll get back to within 24 hours  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10118 on: April 30, 2018, 09:22:43 pm »
Interested to see how their cal goes. I’m going with calmet but RS cal pricing isn’t bad.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10119 on: April 30, 2018, 09:25:20 pm »
According to their web site, that includes collection, calibration and delivery all within 5 days so it sounds all good. I bet the say that they can't do that model, so I might end up at Calmet too.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10120 on: April 30, 2018, 09:26:55 pm »
I would show it doing something, but thinking I had more E27 incandescents, I blew the only ones I have in a destructive test with a 1500W fruit ninja. It works!  :-DD

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #10121 on: April 30, 2018, 11:47:28 pm »
I would like to apologise. So I’ve cost you two scopes now. At least they were nice ones  :-DD

I knew about both of them before you "intervened". Your "contribution" is limited to egging me on; I am weak.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #10122 on: April 30, 2018, 11:49:41 pm »
But then I finally got around opening the box, and here it was: The PM2421 that was solely responsible for my relapse!

Here's some pictures of this beautiful instrument. Even if it doesn't work and I can't get it to, I'm not sorry for the 30 € (with shipping).

Very cool. Added to the PoI list in the OP.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #10123 on: April 30, 2018, 11:52:54 pm »
Signal Generator comes back home to Essex, some before and after photos and some shots of the amazing detail inside. This thing even has 2 screening cans, 1 inside the other and works perfectly, no adjustments needed, the frequency on the dial is bang on when checked with my TF930, I'll post a couple shots later of that.

Added this one to the PoI, too.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10124 on: May 01, 2018, 12:30:21 am »

No, just Denghie-folk. It's like The Hills Have Eyes.

Really back on the TEA, I've finally put together a proper DBT in a box, with a socket, rather than the cobbled together thing I was using. It's a bit plasticky, but I may paint it. I'm shrinking a piccy (pesky limit), brb.

If you hear a lone banjo playing just behind you... paddle faster!!!  :-DD

I would like to apologise. So I’ve cost you two scopes now. At least they were nice ones  :-DD

I knew about both of them before you "intervened". Your "contribution" is limited to egging me on; I am weak.

I am absolutely unrepentant.  >:D

mnem
I've seen that movie too...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf