Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14922149 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #102250 on: September 19, 2021, 04:51:32 am »
*groaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnn...*

mnem
can't... reach... soggy ol' boot dispenser... *whummmmp*

Saskia, avenge us. I know you have his coordinates saved in the Suborbital Crowbar Launcher...

Everybody should have noticed that every time mustelids are mentioned I stoataly can't resist making puns. I'll do it even if you badger me. By now it should be the OP you blame for giving me an opening.

Had to look up mustelids. Now I somehow miss Catweasel, Catweazle, or was it Catstoat ...
don't remember ...
Argh. Flat joke we would call it here ...

I had to look up mustelid also.
It turns out I need one of these temporarily. 

Some creature is digging holes in my septic system to make a home.  I think it is a rather shitty place to make a home.
So much so that I have filled in holes, blocked entrances, etc. to make such critter feel unwelcome in the hope that it would move elsewhere.  So far, the critter has just created alternate entrance holes...  |O
Staying up all night & day to throw soggy boots at it is not an appealing option.  I have better things to do, like TEA.  A mustelid probably has nothing better to do than lie in wait for the critter...
Most likely a rat, just stick some bait out for it.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #102251 on: September 19, 2021, 05:56:38 am »

Allright... I'm going in...!  :scared:

Oh fuck me... there's nothing in the manual on servicing the optical assembly...   |O

mnem
*wibble*
:popcorn:

Almost ready for powered testing. I finally figured out the assembly process; like any such machine, each step makes perfect sense once you figure it out, but until you do it is just  |O and . There is an "assembly position" where you have to align the first 3 parts and assemble them at the same time, then turn the cam assembly a couple mm so it locks in. After that, it's a matter of reassembling and routing the FPCs correctly at each stage. I've cleaned each element with a bit of chamois and glasses cleaner, and they're as close to perfect as I can get.

At this point I've figured out and manually cycled the autofocus assembly, indexed the OIS assembly, and can fully extend/retract the entire lens by hand without it going into "assembly" position by accident. Looking pretty hopeful.

Success. I can fully extend/retract the lens assembly with battery power, and the lens cover opens/closes as it should.  :-+

I think I'm going to take my little victory here and toddle off to bed.

Tomorrow's plenty soon enough to find out if that FPC I bodged with CA is okay or trash, and I'm tired enough now that I'm liable to break shit putting it back together.

mnem
 :=\                                                 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 06:00:54 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Brumby, BU508A, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, cyclin_al, Peter_O

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #102252 on: September 19, 2021, 06:25:18 am »

Quote from: mansaxel
  • Dijon mustard (Bornier, the best!)

Good lord you are telling me you are IMPORTING freaking mustard from France instead of just making it yourself ?! Talk about ecology !  ;D
Thank you for supporting our economy though ! Just like Dwagon with "Bonne Maman" confitures...

Other than the Volvo 5 pot in-line engine in my Renault, I am not sure I ever "imported" something from Sweden ?
But that alone was worth having Sweden on the map, so thank you !  :-+

As it turns out there is a similar engine outside in my "tractor" -- that's what people who don't drive Volvos call them, especially the estate variant. Which is the one to get.

Every time we go to France we make sure to bring something special back. Bornier isn't that special; I buy it in the restaurant supplies store, where we also buy flour in 15kg bags. And liter-packs of nutmeg, for the Pegueot nutmeg grater.

The things we import are more hard to get, like KUB bouillon (best way to cheat yourself into an onion soup that tastes France), canard confit, Puy lentils, food grade lavender (but I'm growing that myself too) and wines not found in our government monopoly alcohol stores. We've got several vineyards we've been buying from repeatedly.

The trip I'm currently planning for 2022 is something like Sedan - Epernay - Bayeux - St Nazaire - Saumur - Bordeaux - Carcassonne - Gigondas - Lyon - Epinal - Metz - Thionville...

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102253 on: September 19, 2021, 07:20:50 am »
Has anyone else seen Daves new video? He is going to be restoring his Sinclair C5 in memory of Sir Clive Sinclair and Dave also said that he made consumer electronics affordable to the masses by building down to a price point and his pocket calculator was just 20% of the price of its comparable HP35, reaffirming my points about him making them affordable and even in some cases achieving what HP said was impossible. Anyway, watch the video, he makes many valid points and so many today owe a lot to Sinclairs products for inspiring them into getting them into the industry.

Just because you weren't the only person who swallowed Sinclair's self-promotional propaganda doesn't confirm him as the genius he went around telling everybody that he was, or that he was anywhere as influential as some (including himself) make him out to be. I'm sure that our esteemed prime minister can find all sorts of people that agree with him, that does not make him necessarily correct. Comparing a Sinclair calculator to an HP calculator is like comparing a 1980s Lada to a Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost, if the former cost 20% of the latter, you were ripped off.

Both the HP35 and Sinclair Scientific were "aimed" at replacing slide rules. As was the norm:
  • the -hp- product significantly exceeded its objectives
  • the Sinclair product barely met them
Nonetheless, the Sinclair Scientific was significant and influential and a remarkable achievement.
Precisely, clearly if costs are removed to meet a price that is affordable, something has to give. I really doubt that anyone would have brought a Sinclair product if they had the means to get one of the other main stream products. My argument has always been that as an inventor etc, he is getting an undeserved bad press. Compare Sinclair with Steve Jobs as an example, Jobs set out from the get go to develop a flagship product at flagship prices and gets highly thought of, whereas Sinclair set off in the opposite direction, trying to bring to the less well-heeled people products that would enrich their lives at an affordable price point, and he seems to be getting disrespected for that. Not everyone can be a high earner and thus afford the better things.

In many cases his bad reputation was self-inflicted. Consider his audioamps in the 60s, the black watch, the microdrives, to name but a few.
Oh hell yes, the audio amps I believe featured many of those Plessey reject transistors, not that they were totally useless but failed to meet the high standards that they demanded for their equipment. Some of them had short lives it would seem, but that was in the early days, and the black watch also did not like nylon shirts which was a popular material for shirts back then as well. That said, I still think that if people dig deep enough similar failures probably beset other companies as well, but because they weren't aiming at the consumer market, they were better able to keep failures under wraps, and they also had better resources being as they were a more established business, to move quickly and resolve the problems as they arose.

And they were mostly DC coupled, capacitors are expensive. This ment you tended to get a cascade of failures once one transistor failed. Even with a partial failure DC coupling make trouble shooting harder. And of course a set of full spec E-line transistors cost nearly as much as a new amp.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 08:03:29 am by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #102254 on: September 19, 2021, 08:05:19 am »
Has anyone else seen Daves new video? He is going to be restoring his Sinclair C5 in memory of Sir Clive Sinclair and Dave also said that he made consumer electronics affordable to the masses by building down to a price point and his pocket calculator was just 20% of the price of its comparable HP35, reaffirming my points about him making them affordable and even in some cases achieving what HP said was impossible. Anyway, watch the video, he makes many valid points and so many today owe a lot to Sinclairs products for inspiring them into getting them into the industry.

Just because you weren't the only person who swallowed Sinclair's self-promotional propaganda doesn't confirm him as the genius he went around telling everybody that he was, or that he was anywhere as influential as some (including himself) make him out to be. I'm sure that our esteemed prime minister can find all sorts of people that agree with him, that does not make him necessarily correct. Comparing a Sinclair calculator to an HP calculator is like comparing a 1980s Lada to a Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost, if the former cost 20% of the latter, you were ripped off.

Both the HP35 and Sinclair Scientific were "aimed" at replacing slide rules. As was the norm:
Nonetheless, the Sinclair Scientific was significant and influential and a remarkable achievement.
Precisely, clearly if costs are removed to meet a price that is affordable, something has to give. I really doubt that anyone would have brought a Sinclair product if they had the means to get one of the other main stream products. My argument has always been that as an inventor etc, he is getting an undeserved bad press. Compare Sinclair with Steve Jobs as an example, Jobs set out from the get go to develop a flagship product at flagship prices and gets highly thought of, whereas Sinclair set off in the opposite direction, trying to bring to the less well-heeled people products that would enrich their lives at an affordable price point, and he seems to be getting disrespected for that. Not everyone can be a high earner and thus afford the better things.

In many cases his bad reputation was self-inflicted. Consider his audioamps in the 60s, the black watch, the microdrives, to name but a few.
Oh hell yes, the audio amps I believe featured many of those Plessey reject transistors, not that they were totally useless but failed to meet the high standards that they demanded for their equipment. Some of them had short lives it would seem, but that was in the early days, and the black watch also did not like nylon shirts which was a popular material for shirts back then as well. That said, I still think that if people dig deep enough similar failures probably beset other companies as well, but because they weren't aiming at the consumer market, they were better able to keep failures under wraps, and they also had better resources being as they were a more established business, to move quickly and resolve the problems as they arose.

And they were mostly DC coupled, capacitors are expenive. This ment you tended to get a cascade of failures once one transistor failed. Even with a partial failure DC coupling make trouble shooting harder. And of course a set of full spec E-line transistors cost nearly as much as a new amp.

DC coupled?! A typical Sinclair innovation.

As you hint, the original design probably included capacitor(s), but Sinclair found it still worked when they were removed, and so decreed they were unnecessary.

ISTR hearing something like that w.r.t. a resistor in the microdrives, back in the 80s.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #102255 on: September 19, 2021, 08:22:14 am »

No. One of these. Woodchuck or ground hog. Can be very destructive with their digging. Best way to get rid of is to sit quietly with a rifle. Got them here. In this yard and neighbor's.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102256 on: September 19, 2021, 08:52:30 am »

And they were mostly DC coupled, capacitors are expenive. This ment you tended to get a cascade of failures once one transistor failed. Even with a partial failure DC coupling make trouble shooting harder. And of course a set of full spec E-line transistors cost nearly as much as a new amp.

As you hint, the original design probably included capacitor(s), but Sinclair found it still worked when they were removed, and so decreed they were unnecessary.

ISTR hearing something like that w.r.t. a resistor in the microdrives, back in the 80s.

The X10 was the good one at that. My father bought one. The design was basically an H bridge. The side effect of this was there were no bias conditions so one marginal transistor meant that there was a permanent DC leakage through the speaker. What’s even worse is there were always four marginal transistors that liked to go CE short. This actually destroyed a speaker entirely right in the middle of Stairway to Heaven ironically.

Again my point about cheapness. It’s ok to start with a good design and remove stuff until you’ve got something that still works. But with the condition thay it meets the original specification and general safety requirements.

In this case he started with a terrible design and made it dangerous.

At some point it is disingenuous to release a product like that and give the guy any credit.

Edit: to point out my father was also a cheapskate. His buying process for anything was:

1. Fall for the marketing and buy something magical at a too low price.
2. Find out it wasn’t fit for purpose and go and buy something mediocre.
3. Find out it wasn’t fit for purpose and buy what he should have done.

Eventually he stopped buying turds and bought a Sony amp for far less than the combined sum of all the turds and the damage they caused.

When he bought the X10 he was at stage 1. He actually bought it from someone who hadn’t got around to using it well after they stopped shipping them.

A fine example of this is his passion for buying cheap electric screwdrivers. I found 7 when I had to clean out his stuff. None of them worked.

This suggests there is a serious problem with quality and waste in society.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 08:59:25 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102257 on: September 19, 2021, 08:55:47 am »
<snip>

Oh yeah, microdrives, they were most certainly not one of his better items IMHO, I elected to go for a Rotronics Wafadrive unit and then later replaced that with plug-in MGT interface and a conventional standard 3.5" floppy disc drive.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102258 on: September 19, 2021, 09:31:25 am »

OMFG... speaking as a seasoned go-kart/dune-buggy/scooter aficionado... the design of that thing is pure shite. I mean, I figured it wouldn't be great, given the limitations of the body design... but fucking wow...!!!

That thing is a deathtrap all by itself going down a empty street, much less sharing the roads with actual roadworthy vehicles. Fuck, it wouldn't even make a good speed-bump; might slow down a Fiat 500. :o

This is Power Wheels level of shite-ness.   

Truly beyond horrible. Motherfucker should've been prosecuted for marketing that as a road vehicle. Wait... was he...?

mnem
 :scared:
Agreed, this is not a good thing at all for use on normal roads, but on special roads, or dedicated cycle tracks, for use by push-bikes, electric scooters and low speed items like a C5, then it, might be a different thing all together. Here in the UK many cities are experimenting with dedicated tracks / lanes segregated from the normal traffic on which electric scooters are allowed (but only ones supplied by authorised suppliers who rent them out by the mile/hour) private ones that are on sale in shops etc are and remain illegal for use in public areas. https://www.chelmsford.gov.uk/leisure-theatres-and-museums/visiting-chelmsford/chelmsford-e-scooter-trial/

Wait until you have piles of those e-scooters lying across bike lanes and blocking pavements to the extent that you have to climb over them unless you want to dare walking on the road. You'll grow to hate them very quickly.

McBryce.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 09:34:04 am by McBryce »
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Neper

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #102259 on: September 19, 2021, 09:32:42 am »

(...)

Success. I can fully extend/retract the lens assembly with battery power, and the lens cover opens/closes as it should.  :-+

I think I'm going to take my little victory here and toddle off to bed.

Tomorrow's plenty soon enough to find out if that FPC I bodged with CA is okay or trash, and I'm tired enough now that I'm liable to break shit putting it back together.

mnem
 :=\                                               
Looks promising so far. Would be nice to have your patience. 
Crossed fingers.
Looking forward to full success.
 :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102260 on: September 19, 2021, 09:36:39 am »
Great video from Curious Marc here. Part of a series which is going to involve lots of TE:

They’re going to try and bring up an Apollo spacecraft transponder and power amplifier!

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, Mortymore, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102261 on: September 19, 2021, 09:37:04 am »

The X10 was the good one at that. My father bought one. The design was basically an H bridge. The side effect of this was there were no bias conditions so one marginal transistor meant that there was a permanent DC leakage through the speaker. What’s even worse is there were always four marginal transistors that liked to go CE short. This actually destroyed a speaker entirely right in the middle of Stairway to Heaven ironically.

Again my point about cheapness. It’s ok to start with a good design and remove stuff until you’ve got something that still works. But with the condition thay it meets the original specification and general safety requirements.

At some point it is disingenuous to release a product like that and give the guy any credit.

Edit: to point out my father was also a cheapskate. His buying process for anything was:

Eventually he stopped buying turds and bought a Sony amp for far less than the combined sum of all the turds and the damage they caused.

When he bought the X10 he was at stage 1. He actually bought it from someone who hadn’t got around to using it well after they stopped shipping them.

A fine example of this is his passion for buying cheap electric screwdrivers. I found 7 when I had to clean out his stuff. None of them worked.

That reminded me about the Z12 which I did own for a while until the outputs fried themselves, which I understand they had a reputation for doing that from time to time.

I attach some info that you might find interesting, what I gleaned from the order form in a magazine of the 60's is that the "allow 28 days for delivery" era had not been started then, so I really don't think that the blame for that can be laid at his feet, it was I pointed out earlier, the general thing that almost everybody seemed to be doing back in the day.

http://rk.nvg.ntnu.no/sinclair/audio/z12.htm
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102262 on: September 19, 2021, 09:42:04 am »

OMFG... speaking as a seasoned go-kart/dune-buggy/scooter aficionado... the design of that thing is pure shite. I mean, I figured it wouldn't be great, given the limitations of the body design... but fucking wow...!!!

That thing is a deathtrap all by itself going down a empty street, much less sharing the roads with actual roadworthy vehicles. Fuck, it wouldn't even make a good speed-bump; might slow down a Fiat 500. :o

This is Power Wheels level of shite-ness.   

Truly beyond horrible. Motherfucker should've been prosecuted for marketing that as a road vehicle. Wait... was he...?

mnem
 :scared:
Agreed, this is not a good thing at all for use on normal roads, but on special roads, or dedicated cycle tracks, for use by push-bikes, electric scooters and low speed items like a C5, then it, might be a different thing all together. Here in the UK many cities are experimenting with dedicated tracks / lanes segregated from the normal traffic on which electric scooters are allowed (but only ones supplied by authorised suppliers who rent them out by the mile/hour) private ones that are on sale in shops etc are and remain illegal for use in public areas. https://www.chelmsford.gov.uk/leisure-theatres-and-museums/visiting-chelmsford/chelmsford-e-scooter-trial/

Wait until you have piles of those e-scooters lying across bike lanes and blocking pavements to the extent that you have to climb over them unless you want to dare walking on the road. You'll grow to hate them very quickly.

McBryce.
Not a problem, I don't like now, I personally think that they are dangerous anyway and the riders do not follow the rules either.  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102263 on: September 19, 2021, 10:03:54 am »

That reminded me about the Z12 which I did own for a while until the outputs fried themselves, which I understand they had a reputation for doing that from time to time.

I attach some info that you might find interesting, what I gleaned from the order form in a magazine of the 60's is that the "allow 28 days for delivery" era had not been started then, so I really don't think that the blame for that can be laid at his feet, it was I pointed out earlier, the general thing that almost everybody seemed to be doing back in the day.

That Z12 was scary. I bet those PA transistors ran hot. If you look at similar era amps then a significant chunk of them was heat sink.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #102264 on: September 19, 2021, 10:40:10 am »

Early Rat Shack "bare bones" amplifier boards looked just as bad. One of the main reasons my first audio system was all Heathkit. And it worked well for years.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #102265 on: September 19, 2021, 10:47:19 am »
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/digital-phosphor-oszilloskop-dpo-tektronix-tds3052/1871457069-168-4712

any good ?
he would trade for a Voltcraft 160 MHz AFG, I have a Peaktech 160 MHz AFG.
Would that be a good trade ?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #102266 on: September 19, 2021, 10:53:42 am »

No. One of these. Woodchuck or ground hog. Can be very destructive with their digging. Best way to get rid of is to sit quietly with a rifle. Got them here. In this yard and neighbor's.

Really would they go for a septic environment whereas rats just love such shitty places ?

Watched a lot of YT vids of shooting them critters and never did I see those anywhere near septics.
Anyways cycling al might give some clues about the size of the burrows.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #102267 on: September 19, 2021, 11:04:53 am »
GPSDO display project and other examples of time-wasting activities.  :-/O

Puzzle models -

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2975065

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2132796

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102268 on: September 19, 2021, 11:27:46 am »
Every time we go to France we make sure to bring something special back. Bornier isn't that special; I buy it in the restaurant supplies store,

Oh OK, phew, ecology is safe !  ;D

Quote from: mansaxel
The trip I'm currently planning for 2022 is something like Sedan - Epernay - Bayeux - St Nazaire - Saumur - Bordeaux - Carcassonne - Gigondas - Lyon - Epinal - Metz - Thionville...

Wow that's quite a trip ! My right leg hurts badly after only 30/45 minutes of driving so driving all around the country sounds like science fiction to me !  :scared:

So you will be stopping by Saint-Nazaire where I live then, interesting !  ;D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #102269 on: September 19, 2021, 11:29:39 am »
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/digital-phosphor-oszilloskop-dpo-tektronix-tds3052/1871457069-168-4712

any good ?

It's a TDS3032 pimped up to a TDS3054 and all Options enabled - nothing wrong with that, it can be done in a few minutes and a few EUR material.
Price looks OK, below typical ebay prices.
Check if there's a battery and charger with it, that's a plus as you can use it portable and floating then, but most probably the battery will be at the end of it's life.
The fan is noisy, and it has 10k Samples per channel, but full 5G/s per channel, too.
No serial decoding etc. available, many of the "freed" options will be pointless for the average user.

Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Saskia

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #102270 on: September 19, 2021, 11:52:53 am »

any good ?

It's a TDS3032 pimped up to a TDS3054 and all Options enabled - nothing wrong with that, it can be done in a few minutes and a few EUR material.
Price looks OK, below typical ebay prices.
Check if there's a battery and charger with it, that's a plus as you can use it portable and floating then, but most probably the battery will be at the end of it's life.
The fan is noisy, and it has 10k Samples per channel, but full 5G/s per channel, too.
No serial decoding etc. available, many of the "freed" options will be pointless for the average user.

Proceed with EXTREME caution, the pics are NOT all of the same scope; first one is of a 3034.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Saskia

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102271 on: September 19, 2021, 12:20:33 pm »
So Today was the second and last radio rally / hamfest of the year for me. A local one, Cambridge repeater groop at Foxton.
Quite well attended. A lot of junk and apparently judging from the piles of kit behind tables and in backs of cars a lot of deals were done before public opening.
Only TE I got was a HP 8903A audio analyser, "working last time I used it"  but at £5 I wasn't going to haggle  :D
I did find out where a lot of thee HP feet went. one guy, obviously from a calibration house had a bunch of faulty more modern test gear at high prices and a large box of feet at a couple of quid a set. His stuff looked like customer calibration failure abandonments and some had been robbed so I didn't bother. Bid pick up a brand new  Fibreoptic Gyroscope dev kit  for £3 another no brainer, and a big, probably 8 or 10A Variac for £3. Non TEA was a Propeak Prodigy charger / discharger for £5.
I also pickd up  very tidy Dell Lattitude LXPi laptop to run WIN 98 / DOS on for making LIF disks, running older kit that needs a parallel port and the like. It's totally dead though. Looks like the PSU, I'll have to check it out after lunch. The little dell has CD-ROM, Floppy, PCMCIA, proper serial & parallel ports and a caddy mounted HDD so ideal for the task. It might even work with a PCMCIA to USB adaptor for memory sticks. 

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102272 on: September 19, 2021, 12:46:28 pm »
Well done, getting that HP 8903A for just £5 sounds like a steal, especially if it is all intact and working  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102273 on: September 19, 2021, 01:00:16 pm »
Ah damn I was going to go to that. Too busy though.

The pre opening deals thing pisses me off. Seems unfair.

Next one for me is Hack Green. Going to make a weekend of it and do Snowdon if the weather isn’t shit.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #102274 on: September 19, 2021, 01:02:40 pm »
Only TE I got was a HP 8903A audio analyser, "working last time I used it"  ...

LOL heard that one before. I've been asked to look at several radios that other hams got where the seller said exactly the same thing.  Of course they didn't work. :bullshit:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf