Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14561758 times)

ch_scr, Peter_O, cncjerry and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #10275 on: May 04, 2018, 08:13:25 am »
Talking of GPS I think I (or my youngest) killed my QRP Labs GPS module. It's not responding now. Was sitting there on the window sill. There was a two hour opportunity where my youngest may have got at it but I couldn't see any finger prints on the board!

Haven't replied to any of the GPS antenna posts yet but have been reading them. I'm looking at permanent antenna options as well so this thread is interesting  :-+
Oh c'mon, that's not fair blaming the kids ! The littlest one at that !

Or is penis fingers not wanting to own up ?  :P

The face and spit marks on the window next to it are a clue :)

Despite drinking half a keg the other day I don’t remember doing that.
Sounds like those PF genes are being passed on.  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #10276 on: May 04, 2018, 08:16:45 am »
Still a little puzzled about this seeing as the only 50 ohm inputs I have are the TF930 and the HP1740A which is switchable between 50ohm and 1M, all the other scopes tend to be 1M and also of course the TF930 can also be switched between 1M and 50ohm. If IIRC the only time the 50ohm input on the 1740A gets mentioned really is on some specific calibration tests?

The excellent "low" impedance Z0 "resistive divider" probes have to be terminated in 50ohms, as do other classes of probes.

Those are actually a higher input impedance than so-called "high" impedance *10 probes (when input capacitance is included), and have a much higher bandwidth. Examples: 1.5GHz HP10020A or 6GHz HP54006A.
Why would I be attaching probes to a signal generator?

I presumed you would be attaching the probe to the 1740, which is (when I looked 2 minutes ago) a scope.

I'm more likely am I not (unless I'm missing something) be using a a lead terminating in a BNC at one end and a pair croc clips at the other. The highest bandwidth scope I'll be using is 100MHz. I'm only using the signal generator for normal domestic radio broadcast radios between 100 KHz and 108MHz?

In that case I have little idea what you are trying to achieve.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10277 on: May 04, 2018, 08:28:53 am »

I'm going to have to re-sign-up for the forum as user PenisFingers  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10278 on: May 04, 2018, 08:33:58 am »
Yes I will be doing that as well, there is a dedicated output for that and another for RF. I also hook up the other sig gen to the scope at times too.
Still a little puzzled about this seeing as the only 50 ohm inputs I have are the TF930 and the HP1740A which is switchable between 50ohm and 1M, all the other scopes tend to be 1M and also of course the TF930 can also be switched between 1M and 50ohm. If IIRC the only time the 50ohm input on the 1740A gets mentioned really is on some specific calibration tests?

The excellent "low" impedance Z0 "resistive divider" probes have to be terminated in 50ohms, as do other classes of probes.

Those are actually a higher input impedance than so-called "high" impedance *10 probes (when input capacitance is included), and have a much higher bandwidth. Examples: 1.5GHz HP10020A or 6GHz HP54006A.

I presumed you would be attaching the probe to the 1740, which is (when I looked 2 minutes ago) a scope.

I'm more likely am I not (unless I'm missing something) be using a a lead terminating in a BNC at one end and a pair croc clips at the other. The highest bandwidth scope I'll be using is 100MHz. I'm only using the signal generator for normal domestic radio broadcast radios between 100 KHz and 108MHz?

In that case I have little idea what you are trying to achieve.

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 08:49:07 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10279 on: May 04, 2018, 09:26:46 am »

Yes I will be attaching a probe to the scope and that probe will generally be attached to the radio receiver at a different point to the signal generator  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #10280 on: May 04, 2018, 09:57:52 am »
USPS delivery yesterday. 3 boxes. What's inside them? Let's see....

Box 1: A “care package” thanks to mnementh. Contains various mainly power supply bits. Includes a few small transformers that are perfect for the 5 volt Fluke 8000A project. Thanks pal!  :-+

Box 2: From Mouser. Parts to rebuild the 110V supply in the Tek 465.  :-/O

Box 3: Not mine. It's hers. Clothes from one of her favorite shops. As I mentioned before she has items delivered here rather than her place because of rampart package theft.

Can't wait to work on the 465 to see if it finally comes up but she's arriving this afternoon for the weekend. So it will have to wait until next week. It was a tough choice.  :scared: :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10281 on: May 04, 2018, 10:03:45 am »

Can't wait to work on the 465 to see if it finally comes up but she's arriving this afternoon for the weekend. So it will have to wait until next week. It was a tough choice.  :scared: :-DD
Well there's one disadvantage to your domestic arrangements, most of us married men would just carry on working on the 465 over the weekend  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #10282 on: May 04, 2018, 10:09:26 am »

Well there's one disadvantage to your domestic arrangements, most of us married men would just carry on working on the 465 over the weekend  :-DD

You are so right. Oh well...... :-//

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10283 on: May 04, 2018, 10:09:48 am »
I would!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10284 on: May 04, 2018, 10:11:19 am »
I definitely would be as well :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #10285 on: May 04, 2018, 10:15:25 am »
That would go over like a giant fart in church.  :scared: :scared: :scared:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10286 on: May 04, 2018, 10:16:54 am »
That would go over like a giant fart in church.  :scared: :scared: :scared:
Thats ok, my dad always used to say, church or chapel, let it rattle, so go for it.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10287 on: May 04, 2018, 10:35:13 am »
well that's a fucker. CPC free delivery has gone up to min £8 spend now from £5  :(

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10288 on: May 04, 2018, 10:37:53 am »
well that's a fucker. CPC free delivery has gone up to min £8 spend now from £5  :(
:--
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10289 on: May 04, 2018, 11:43:57 am »
Indeed. This actually stopped me putting an order through them because I needed about 4 quid of bits. So I did it via bitsbox instead and just paid the postage  :-//

Maplin II ?  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10290 on: May 04, 2018, 12:00:23 pm »
I hope not, but this is where local parts shops should be able to score but I expect what does it in for them are the local business rates and the corporation taxes. If we aren't careful government greed will kill everything off.

Explains loads.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10291 on: May 04, 2018, 01:06:43 pm »
Saw that last night. That's public sector and civil servant culture in action for you. We have a no hire rule if someone has been infected by the public sector. Literally don't even get invited to an interview.

Also if there's anything I have learned, the right approach to life is: rules are only applicable if you get caught.

If you haven't watched it, one of the best films ever: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088846/

Trailer:

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 01:10:11 pm by bd139 »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10292 on: May 04, 2018, 01:50:41 pm »
Yes I will be attaching a probe to the scope and that probe will generally be attached to the radio receiver at a different point to the signal generator  :-//

Don't forget to include the effects of the probe's input capacitance on the UUT and measurements!
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10293 on: May 04, 2018, 01:54:54 pm »
Good point. Scope probe will detune anything. This is one reason the 50 ohm system exists is you do measurements via substitution rather than via in circuit measurement.  The 50 ohms is a contract between blocks.

If you’re tuning a receiver with its own impedance relationships then best to signal inject and use the receiver as the test instrument (see my typical alignment process above)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #10294 on: May 04, 2018, 01:58:36 pm »
OT....any of you folks in the UK visit the Mach Loop in Wales and watch the NATO aircraft practice low altitude flying? I've watched many of the videos on You Tube and it is something I'd like to experience.  :-+

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10295 on: May 04, 2018, 03:56:08 pm »
This is completely off topic, and of no relevance to this thread

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, BillB

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10296 on: May 04, 2018, 03:59:07 pm »
Except thats very often very close to what our SWMBO's say when we bring home our latest acquisitions to the TEA party
Who let Murphy in?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10297 on: May 04, 2018, 04:01:00 pm »
OT....any of you folks in the UK visit the Mach Loop in Wales and watch the NATO aircraft practice low altitude flying? I've watched many of the videos on You Tube and it is something I'd like to experience.  :-+

Go gliding.

I've seen airliners take off beneath me, eyeballed Hercules sufficiently close to see the small windows around the cockpit, eyeballed sheep as they whizz past at 60 mph, gazed into the eyes of raptors (red kites) as we flew alongside each other, and circled upwards with raptors (buzzards).

Besides, can we still afford to fly warplanes over the UK?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10298 on: May 04, 2018, 04:15:30 pm »
We like buying them. Not sure about flying them.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #10299 on: May 04, 2018, 04:25:21 pm »

I'm going to have to re-sign-up for the forum as user PenisFingers  :-DD

DEWWW EEET!!!  :-DD

*FNAAAARRRFFF!*

BTW, thank you guys for this... I've been feeling like homemade sh** (not even cheap, plain white-label generic store-bought sh**) all morning... I was in desperate need of a laugh.

mnem
*Suddenly feeling at least 20dB better*  ;D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf