Products > Test Equipment

Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread

<< < (20615/22486) > >>

Cerebus:

--- Quote from: Specmaster on September 24, 2021, 11:59:49 am ---@bd139,
Looking into the ZEN package in more depth, they give you a static IP address, I'm not so sure as that's an advantage, it costs more and as I see it is more of a benefit if you're running a server or a business as it makes it far easier for customers to both find your website and reach you. The downside of that is that with the right tools, people can pinpoint your location and makes it so much easier to hack into your computer.

--- End quote ---

Don't believe the movies. There is not a database of IP addresses that allows you to instantly geolocate someone. Anyone who tries to geolocate me via my fixed IP address gets the physical address of A&A in Bracknell. As to "easier to hack" - if one's security stance relies on one's IP address changing once in a while then one is also the kind of person who eschews body armour in a shooting war for a wet paper bag. If someone wants to hack you they don't give a flying fuck whether you're on a fixed or a dynamic IP address.

capt bullshot:

--- Quote from: Cerebus on September 24, 2021, 12:06:17 pm ---
--- Quote from: capt bullshot on September 24, 2021, 11:43:07 am ---

Display is not worn out and all digits/segments of even brightness, not like in the picture - camera tends to fool one here.

--- End quote ---

You need to select a relatively slow shutter speed. That's assuming one has a camera where one can actually do so, one of the downsides of most of the world using phone cameras nowadays is that access to any settings like shutter and aperture is a thing of the past for them.

--- End quote ---
In theory, with my camera I can set the shutter speed, just couldn't be bothered to do so right then.

--- Quote ---I'm convinced that's what got me my 53132A cheaply - other people looked at the display being 'wrong' in the listing and passed it by, not realising that the apparent error was exactly what happens when a multiplexed display and camera shutter interact. That let it sit there for a few days rather than getting snapped up as it ought to have been. Mine came to a total of £400 plus change including carriage and import costs. Mind you, there was no way of anybody knowing from the listing that mine was going to come with the ultra stable oscillator option inside but disconnected and fully functional once it had a single tantalum cap replaced (now fully working and showing drift better than the data sheet spec.).

--- End quote ---

Your 53132A for sure is the better deal, because it's a 53132, even without the surprise US Oven. Already checked the schematics, there's no easy way to add "1" to the model number, at least one ASIC appears to be involved. Otherwise, I've had luck with mine too, because the seller added real pictures of unit for sale just two days before auction end. There weren't too many bidders, otherwise the price would have skyrocketed. So it was in total about 330 EUR.

mansaxel:

--- Quote from: Specmaster on September 24, 2021, 11:59:49 am ---@bd139,
Looking into the ZEN package in more depth, they give you a static IP address, I'm not so sure as that's an advantage, it costs more and as I see it is more of a benefit if you're running a server or a business as it makes it far easier for customers to both find your website and reach you. The downside of that is that with the right tools, people can pinpoint your location and makes it so much easier to hack into your computer.

Not to sure about that aspect of changing over to them, may have to search about for other options or jump on VM's head till they get their act together and sort out their shit and also maybe offer better prices. According to a search for providers in my area, new customers can get the VM deal that I have for only £39 on 2 year contract, so why am I paying £71 as long-standing customer, that Fffing sucks. :rant:

--- End quote ---

I'm with Cerebus on the dangers of static address; they're indistinguishable from dynamic. Don't believe the hype. </publicenemy>

Static is important for things like VPN and such, if you want to run one to get at your internal systems, it becomes easier with a static address.  Having said that, I've been running tunnels towards my dynamic home address for years. It mostly changes when the ISP is merged with another ISP, not at random.

It's more important whether you can get IPv6 or not. If you can, it's a definite benefit and should weigh heavily in favour.

shakalnokturn:

--- Quote from: Robert763 on September 24, 2021, 07:22:08 am ---
--- Quote from: Vince on September 23, 2021, 10:12:25 pm ---
--- Quote from: Neper on September 23, 2021, 09:50:31 pm ---I gather the 'excursion totale' is the maximum frequency deviation of the wobulator.

--- End quote ---

Yes you were right ! Now that Robert just explained to me what a "Wobulator" was/meant in the first place, it all makes sense !  :-DD

Hell I can't get myself to put this thing in storage just now.. can't resist the temptation to conduct a few tests to see if I can get a signal ouf of any of the connector, and it see if I can get the built-in scope to display some waveform supplied by me. But that means risking being zapped and possibiy dying, that would be bad... I guess I will just put rubber gloves on  ! :-DD

--- Quote from: Neper ---As to Le Nord, you appear to be caught in the usual misconceptions of all those people who have never got beyond Germinal and Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis. Which is a good thing, in a way, because it keeps things less crowded. Even Bergues has returned to being a nice little town, now the tourists go elsewhere again.

--- End quote ---

Nope, No Germinal for me and as for the Ch'tit, never seen that movie, I don't like movies that much especially the French ones which all suck big time !  :scared: There were some good ones in the '80s but the '80's was a long time ago now.....   :(

Also, I was BORN up there, so I cna talk !  ;D  Well, a bit south of your North... was born in Picardie, in Noyon. But same situation as the 59. I left that region aged 3 when my parents moved to Angers in Loire Valley, where life is so pleasing, but my dad of course spent the first 35 years of his life in Picardie.. even HE keeps saying "fuck me I am out of here !!!! ". He left for the Loire Valley with ZERO regret what so ever !  :scared:

--- End quote ---

From the Spans listed and the design of the band/frequency selector indicate this was intended for television servicing. The band/frequency selector takes slot-in cards (were sometimes called biscuits in UK). A similar scheme was used in a lot of early TV's. there was one card/biscuit per TV channel. Yours only has one fitted. This means the RF output will only work in that position.

--- End quote ---

Seeing those photos brought back some memories: The first TV's I dismantled as a teenager (IIRC the very first was a Téléavia) used those "rotactor" tuners, the "buiscuits" never used quartz on TV's.

On Vince's photos to me it seems there are two biscuits in the carousel not one.

Here a schematic from a TV that used a similar tuning selector (See Vince, on the frequency chart, some people in France also used MC's rather than MHz at that time.):
http://server.idemdito.org/pcs/elec/23/Teleavia-P111.gif

A page with some photos of TV selectors and filter biscuits using printed inductors:
http://www.cfp-radio.com/restaurations/Neotv55/neotv-07.html

Neper:

--- Quote from: Specmaster on September 24, 2021, 11:59:49 am ---Looking into the ZEN package in more depth, they give you a static IP address, I'm not so sure as that's an advantage...

--- End quote ---

I'm paying a supplement for a fixed IP address because otherwise my ISP cuts and reestablishes all connections once every 24 hours, changing the IP address in the process. As luck would have it, this would always occur while I was recording or listening to some internet radio program.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version