Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15235321 times)

Robert763, djadeski and 38 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #103700 on: September 29, 2021, 01:34:31 pm »
The origininal Pclips were made from a flat plastic strip with beaded edge. This was heated, folded around a mandrel and the screw hole punched.
A reasonable copy could be made by running a heated thin wall plastic tube under a wheel to flatten it and then forming it round a rod.

Hmmm, more ideas !  :-+

Yeah it sounds cool making new clips ! I don't think even Carlson went that far when restoring his old Tek scopes !  ;D

Custom P-clips made from scrap blister-pack plastic heat-formed around the body of a Sharpie. I'll let you figure out how to make the bead. ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:

Spending all that money for the printer then cheaping out on a bloody P clip !  ;D

Yes it's a begining... but it's not good enough of course ! ;D
CLip needs to be much thuicker, a blister is too thin. Making the beads would be a lot of work....
No from everything that was said so far, I think for best overall results, as well as reducing the amount effort and time spent making them... I am leaning towards the idea of machining a metallic mold, for its shape is very basic/ easy to do, then just pour some melting clear plastic into it, then form it on a mandrel and punch the holes....
Later on, I might step up my game and try to make a mold of the already formed clip, so that no post processing would be needed.

Then I can make tons of them and sell them on Ebay !  :-DD

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103701 on: September 29, 2021, 01:36:34 pm »
My CHOICE to correct grossly inaccurate statements made about THIS country is well within my rights as a member of this forum and it is not either of your places to dictate otherwise.

Sure you can do that, and I can't stop you, But I can exercise MY right to stop posting in this thread, and that is my right to counter your right. So if you don't care for me here, then keep it up and I'll go elsewhere in this forum (not that it matters to anyone else).

So what'll it be Bean?

Hey! It matters to me.

[Sings] Don't leave me this way...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103702 on: September 29, 2021, 01:38:30 pm »
So if you don't care for me here, then keep it up and I'll go elsewhere in this forum (not that it matters to anyone else).

Hey matters to me at least, would rather you stay here ! :scared:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103703 on: September 29, 2021, 01:38:55 pm »
In an attempt to clarify the main differences of Canada V Australia, there is one very obvious fact, ignoring politics and how they are handled in each country. Australia is an island and Canada has a shared land border with the USA, so it is very difficult to completely shut the border and pull up the drawbridge to maintain 100% isolation. Aus and NZ for instance have fared far better than most countries because they are islands and fully closed their boarders.

Yes I know the UK is also an island as well, but we don't want to open that can of worms again.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103704 on: September 29, 2021, 01:40:49 pm »
My CHOICE to correct grossly inaccurate statements made about THIS country is well within my rights as a member of this forum and it is not either of your places to dictate otherwise.

Sure you can do that, and I can't stop you, But I can exercise MY right to stop posting in this thread, and that is my right to counter your right. So if you don't care for me here, then keep it up and I'll go elsewhere in this forum (not that it matters to anyone else).

So what'll it be Bean?
Please don't leave this TEA section, we enjoy having you here.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #103705 on: September 29, 2021, 01:42:06 pm »
Well, I've said my peace. No one was attacking anyone or their country. But here we are, in the sewer. So I'm doing the smart thing and backing away from the keyboard and go take a shower and wash the stink off me. Maybe later today I'll post content. Maybe not. But for now it's adios
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, shakalnokturn

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #103706 on: September 29, 2021, 01:42:20 pm »
The origininal Pclips were made from a flat plastic strip with beaded edge. This was heated, folded around a mandrel and the screw hole punched.
A reasonable copy could be made by running a heated thin wall plastic tube under a wheel to flatten it and then forming it round a rod.

Yeah it sounds cool making new clips ! I don't think even Carlson went that far when restoring his old Tek scopes !  ;D

Custom P-clips made from scrap blister-pack plastic heat-formed around the body of a Sharpie. I'll let you figure out how to make the bead. ;)

mnem

Spending all that money for the printer then cheaping out on a bloody P clip !  ;D

CLip needs to be much thuicker, a blister is too thin. Making the beads would be a lot of work....
No from everything that was said so far, I think for best overall results, as well as reducing the amount effort and time spent making them... I am leaning towards the idea of machining a metallic mold, for its shape is very basic/ easy to do, then just pour some melting clear plastic into it, then form it on a mandrel and punch the holes....
Later on, I might step up my game and try to make a mold of the already formed clip, so that no post processing would be needed.

Not "cheaped-out". These were custom-made extra-wide on purpose to go around the split loom and hold it fast without crushing it, which is a problem with narrow p-clips and zip-ties. If I'd wanted zip-ties or commercially available p-clips, I'd have used them.  ;)

mnem
zippity doo-dah... :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103707 on: September 29, 2021, 01:42:44 pm »
Yes I know the UK is also an island as well, but we don't want to open that can of worms again.  :-+

Nope it's not an island... there are hundreds of trucks and cars going in and out of this "island" every single day via the tunnel, as well as a constant stream of ferry boats.... I would say it's a pseudo-island !  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103708 on: September 29, 2021, 01:46:47 pm »

Nope it's not an island... there are hundreds of trucks and cars going in and out of this "island" every single day via the tunnel, as well as a constant stream of ferry boats.... I would say it's a pseudo-island !  ;D
A very narrowly attached peninsula?  >:D

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103709 on: September 29, 2021, 01:48:58 pm »

mnem

Not "cheaped-out". These were custom-made extra-wide on purpose to go around the split loom and hold it fast without crushing it, which is a problem with narrow p-clips and zip-ties. If I'd wanted zip-ties or commercially available p-clips, I'd have used them.  ;)

mnem

Oh it was your own personal printer/clip, thought you just found it in google image or something, sorry !  ;D

Looks like I inadvertently pushed your button then, I apologize !  ;D  OK I understand the genesis of this home made clip better now, make sense  ;)

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #103710 on: September 29, 2021, 01:52:02 pm »

Hey! It matters to me.

[Sings] Don't leave me this way...

Haha well I'm just pissed at the moment.

Well, I've said my peace. No one was attacking anyone or their country. But here we are, in the sewer. So I'm doing the smart thing and backing away from the keyboard and go take a shower and wash the stink off me. Maybe later today I'll post content. Maybe not. But for now it's adios.

Best for me too. I'm sure things will settle down. I just don't know if it's me ... see that's why yesterday when I wanted to post an update for my project I waited until way late in the evening here (CDT US) until most of the banter calmed down. There seems to be just so much off-topic lately I feel a TEA post gets swept away too fast. This morning was fun until the COVID carp started (Bean wasn't the only one to blame ...). I'm just asking can we have like 90% TEA and 10% "other"? If you see an off topic post you don't like just ignore it.

Anyway I'm taking a break for now be back later.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103711 on: September 29, 2021, 01:52:18 pm »

A very narrowly attached peninsula?  >:D

Yes more like it !

Or also In French we could call them a  "presqu'île"... literally means "almost an island".
Usually used to describe a very small island, but I don't see anything in the dictionary that gives a limitation on size... so....

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103712 on: September 29, 2021, 01:57:52 pm »

So what'll it be Bean?
*raises a paw* I care... :o

I have a serious problem with the whole idea of "zero tolerance" on almost any subject, particularly in this, the biggest "off-topic" thread on the forum, but I don't like this kind of acrimony, even when I'm part of it. Especially then, honestly.

We generally have no problem in here rationally discussing any subject; we have so far managed to self-police pretty well and stop the oscillation/feedback loop every time before it really starts.

Please, lets continue with that. It is the reason we're the most popular thread on the board.

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103713 on: September 29, 2021, 02:07:12 pm »

mnem

If you are going to make moulds and melt plastic, consider extruding strip. A simple die of two reilled holes with a slot between them will make the right shape. you then need a cylinder and piton behind it to force the melt through.
Then  fold and punch holes for any size you want.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103714 on: September 29, 2021, 02:09:46 pm »

mnem

mnem

Oh it was your own personal printer/clip, thought you just found it in google image or something, sorry !  ;D

Looks like I inadvertently pushed your button then, I apologize !  ;D  OK I understand the genesis of this home made clip better now, make sense  ;)

Nope... zero anger there, no buttons pushed, nothing to apologize for. I was explaining the wheres and whys, no more, no less.  ;)

I did cheap out on the printer, but that's because it was crazy cheap on Amazon with next-day delivery just before the first lockdown really started to affect the delivery chain, and I was already going stir crazy so I wanted a project to keep me from losing my mind.

I've had a lot of fun with it, but it's definitely a more intermediate build; someone who's built a few 3DP will have no problem getting it sorted and printing half-decently in an hour, as I did, but mods and schizz are more of a assache as it's "sortof a Ender 3 clone, but not quite exactly" enough that you can't just slap E3 accessories on it and have them work without some tweaking.

mnem

« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 02:56:30 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103715 on: September 29, 2021, 02:18:32 pm »
Well, I've said my peace. No one was attacking anyone or their country. But here we are, in the sewer. So I'm doing the smart thing and backing away from the keyboard and go take a shower and wash the stink off me. Maybe later today I'll post content. Maybe not. But for now it's adios.

This kind of drama-llama-ing is part of the feedback loop that starts the oscillation, med. If there were real trolling going on here, it is exactly the response the hypothetical troll is looking for.

A simple "I'm out." is all that's needed; harping on the "zero-tolerance for politics" song literally causes almost as many exasperated sighs as the political discussion does. Well, up to a point.  ::)  As long as we continue to self-police, we don't need to worry aboot that.

mnem
*trying to bury the troll food*

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #103716 on: September 29, 2021, 02:23:28 pm »
I know something, med isn't aware of.  ;D

Quote:
September 29, 2021, 7:16 am
Out for Delivery
The Papa Smurf home mushroom
Your item is out for delivery on September 29, 2021 at 7:16 am in Mushroom village, NY.

;D ;D

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, shakalnokturn, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103717 on: September 29, 2021, 02:45:39 pm »
Boring Mundane Everyday Print #217: Screen Door Striker   

https://a360.co/39OL5TC

Just what it says; fixing the ripped screen and found I didn't have a striker for the front screen door, so it doesn't latch tight. A little measuring showed the usual ~13mm high strikers would barely catch, so designed this to fit exactly in the existing space so it butts up against the screen-door frame for strength. Took 20 minutes to get it designed and printing, including setting up the printer which was just sitting in the corner after the move. Less time than going to the hardware store and back.

Cura says 2.2 hours to print and ~61¢ worth of filament. I'll post pics of it IRL when printing is done. ;)

mnem
As always, details and 3DP nerd-stats are over here in the 3DP thread: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/3d-printing/3d-printer-yet/msg3718672/#msg3718672

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103718 on: September 29, 2021, 02:47:43 pm »
Then why make up non factual crap to defend poor performance of your adopted country and then be surprised when you get a response! You were so far away from any semblance of the truth and fact it was warranted.

So its you that needs to take that FUCKING chill pill and consider what you type and before you hit the key to post more :bullshit:

As to other peanuts COVID is NOT POLITICS it is public health

It started because you took exception to 25 CPS using the adjective "draconian" in a perfectly innocuous non-political post asking an innocent question and you overeacted and made it political by responding with an uncalled for "us and them" reply criticising both 25 CPS and Canada. Dial it back several notches please.

I was going to post something but Cerebus already did a good job at summarizing everything.

On the TEA side of things, after fighting with Kicad for a while I ordered my first PCB from jlcpcb. Great experience so far, did not receive the board yet. Ordered on the 27, shipped on the 29 for a grand total of 4$ shipped  :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 03:40:40 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, FransW, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103719 on: September 29, 2021, 02:56:44 pm »
This kind of drama-llama-ing is part of the feedback loop that starts the oscillation, med.

For the record, I don't think med was being a drama queen.

BUT. Some scaly bastard has now put the image of Med being a drama queen, flouncing about the stage in drag, in a nice little frock into my head where it does not belong.

At least I can take the minor revenge of pointing out a natural consequence of this was another unwanted image: That of his understudy following him about the stage too - a flouncing dragon in a pink sparkly tu-tu.

I'm off to drink a litre of isopropanol in the hope that it kill enough brain cells to wipe both images from my memory.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, mansaxel, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103720 on: September 29, 2021, 03:08:29 pm »

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Of course, you know as soon as you said it, I had to Gurrgle it... and this was like the 2nd hit.  :-DD

mnem
Now I have the perfect counteroffensive to octogen-stripper... and you have no-one but yourself to blame, C. >:D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 03:45:47 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103721 on: September 29, 2021, 03:13:04 pm »
Not sparkly enough - but the frilly knickers is very you.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103722 on: September 29, 2021, 03:14:45 pm »

mnem
never waste a good business opportunity...

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103723 on: September 29, 2021, 03:38:38 pm »
You're a wise guy.
[Insert vague comment on how here too people are reacting like everyday Joe, I was hoping for a little more wit. I'm not saying I'm better...]
I'm off to pop a few electrolytics  >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103724 on: September 29, 2021, 03:48:02 pm »

Oh my gawrd... I can't stop "Googling That"...  |O

Now that I think of it... I deliberately did not say "drama queen" for a reason. I didn't think he was being that overly dramatic, and didn't want it to be taken as name-calling; which is exactly how this term is intended to be used. ;)

mnem
somebody stop me...

« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 03:49:54 pm by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf