Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14406099 times)

Kosmic, salvagedcircuitry, med6753 and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #10425 on: May 07, 2018, 06:24:09 pm »
Crazy price alert. 1GHz HP scope with probes £60!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F332643645817

I’m not interested in it but that’s worth a few quid more than it’s being sold for!

Yikes! Nice spot. Doesn't ship to the US.... :(

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10426 on: May 07, 2018, 06:45:42 pm »
Looks like it has two 300Mhz modules and a 1GHz module.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10427 on: May 07, 2018, 09:16:57 pm »
The display on that HP 54100 looks a bit dodgy. I've asked the vendor a question about it, it might just be becuase it's a photo of a proper CRT. I am sorely tempted to buy it, I could do with the bandwidth, and SWMBO didn't scream when I pointed it out.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #10428 on: May 07, 2018, 09:44:30 pm »
The display on that HP 54100 looks a bit dodgy. I've asked the vendor a question about it, it might just be becuase it's a photo of a proper CRT. I am sorely tempted to buy it, I could do with the bandwidth, and SWMBO didn't scream when I pointed it out.

You might do when you try to lift it! And does she understand its size?

I used one 25 years ago. Great with repetitive signals and a 50ohm plugin.

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10429 on: May 07, 2018, 09:45:42 pm »

Display looks fine. Most likely the filter in front of it. The CRT module in them is easy to fix anyway.

This is why I didn’t buy it. I don’t have the room!

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10430 on: May 07, 2018, 09:54:39 pm »

[Fx: Elmer Fudd's voice] Shh! We's hunting scopes...

Anyway, I've got an HP 6002A, I know about heavy.

Only 40 Ms/s though, which really does limit it to repetitive signals in the modern world. Depending on your personal rule of thumb that's about an 8MHz one shot bandwidth.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10431 on: May 07, 2018, 09:57:17 pm »
The screen issue might be down to a dodgy photo, its as grainy and out of focus as it could be. Perhaps if the seller could take another photo for you?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 10:02:30 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10432 on: May 07, 2018, 09:58:24 pm »
To return the favour, an HP 436A power meter that might tempt the RF types, if you can find a sensor for it at a reasonable price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/power-meter/183205793888?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Currently no bids, £0.99 and 1 day 13 hours to go.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #10433 on: May 07, 2018, 10:12:29 pm »

Only 40 Ms/s though, which really does limit it to repetitive signals in the modern world.

That was true 25 years ago as well!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10434 on: May 07, 2018, 10:15:52 pm »
To return the favour, an HP 436A power meter that might tempt the RF types, if you can find a sensor for it at a reasonable price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/power-meter/183205793888?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I’m sure there’s like a billion orphaned HP power meters out there. Everyone had got to have blown all the sensors up by now.

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10435 on: May 07, 2018, 11:36:36 pm »
Well, somebody has snapped it up, and it wasn't me.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10436 on: May 08, 2018, 12:35:41 am »
Nor me, although I was sore tempted.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #10437 on: May 08, 2018, 02:25:33 am »
Wow, well done B&K! If only more companies had that attitude to keeping their OOP gear in service. Especially with TE, these companies must accumulate masses of parts for those models which could still make them money if they didn't just offload them in job lots, and the sort of people who are going to be trying to fix up old gear are highly unlikely to be in a position to buy a new model instead. It's a different market that could be served by a simple warehousing operation from anywhere.

Fully agree, this helps me keep these instruments out landfills (and allowed me to get an instrument higher in quality than I could afford new).

That was a pleasant surprise. I didn't expect B+K to have parts available, let alone at a reasonable price. Good to know.

Have a look at Keysight. I bought a knob for a 22 year old power supply recently.

Different tier both in quality and price. I would EXPECT this kind of thing from Keysight. On the other hand, considering that BK Precision is a slightly lower tier, this is instead a pleasant surprise. Plus the reasonable price is great too!

I'm still kind of annoyed with B+K. A lot of their "modern" equipment that I've seen either in person or via repair videos has been low to medium quality yet still sold at only slightly lower than Keysight prices (i.e., major brand surcharge).

Your experience with parts availability, though, helps lower my annoyance level a bit.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #10438 on: May 08, 2018, 03:48:06 am »
NOS .. NIB ... TON ... whatever ...  for sure $20 gone .. :palm:

Teaser ...  :P
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 04:13:56 am by BravoV »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #10439 on: May 08, 2018, 04:23:48 am »

I’m sure there’s like a billion orphaned HP power meters out there. Everyone had got to have blown all the sensors up by now.

A sensor at a reasonable price?!?  :-DD

I haven't seen an 848x N series sensor that didn't just scream "Run for the hills, I've been toasted then toasted again by multiple dumbasses in succession" selling less than $300 in years, and then another $50-100 for a cable. Maybe that's my bad luck, I dunno.

But I've seen oodles of 437b/438a meters that pass POST (at least a good sign) sell for $30-70 shipped.

Right now, there's a shedload of 4412/E4413 E series listing for ~$60 "As-is"; looks like they're the next orphan generation...

mnem
*Toddles off to ded*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #10440 on: May 08, 2018, 04:25:43 am »

Do I see "Goodwill Industries" on the paper in the baggie, and a hand-scribbled sticker on top of the unit?  :-DD This does not bode well...  ;)

mnem
*Toddles off, even dedder now*

« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 04:29:01 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10441 on: May 08, 2018, 07:20:49 am »

If you fall into a hole where you can't find parts......ask here !
Many of us have old IC's and especially in my junk pile of old PCB's 1m2 x 500mm high.....dozens and dozens of old IC's.
A good few tubes of new assorted stuff too.
Same here.
I always considered myself to be rather good stuffed with parts ...
So, of course, I add myself to this list also.

A long, long time ago, I got some rather big machines that had TTLs without end. But as they were all soldered and I had no real means to unsolder them, I finally threw them away (my parents gave some strong advice about filling up the house with trash). Wish I still had them.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #10442 on: May 08, 2018, 07:38:35 am »
That was a pleasant surprise. I didn't expect B+K to have parts available, let alone at a reasonable price. Good to know.

I'm still kind of annoyed with B+K. A lot of their "modern" equipment that I've seen either in person or via repair videos has been low to medium quality yet still sold at only slightly lower than Keysight prices (i.e., major brand surcharge).

Your experience with parts availability, though, helps lower my annoyance level a bit.
I've seen Shahriar's teardowns and repairs of a few bits of BK stuff and he seems quite satisfied with the quality.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10443 on: May 08, 2018, 07:46:13 am »

Its a signal or a function generator?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #10444 on: May 08, 2018, 01:58:07 pm »
Houston, we have a trace! The 110V supply is fixed and the scope came up. Checked all the supply voltages and they are OK. But the trace is dull even with full intensity. So I'll have to dive into the CRT circuits and see what's up. I have a suitable HV probe and I respect the HV area especially since I cut my teeth on vacuum tube circuits. Hopefully it will just need some adjustments.

There's life in the old beast after all!  :-+ :-+ :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10445 on: May 08, 2018, 02:10:50 pm »
Looking good  :-+

Have a look round the intensity control and HV divider resistors. They all seem to go a bit drifty.

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10446 on: May 08, 2018, 02:18:56 pm »
 :-+ Nice work! Could it need a grid bias adjustment? It could have been adjusted out of whack as the power supply started causing issues.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10447 on: May 08, 2018, 02:25:36 pm »
That’s a good point.

Annoyingly I didn’t have an HT probe until recently so I used to crank the intensity right up and then adjust it until it lit the wall up on the other side of the room  :-DD

Wonder how many tubes I killed doing that.

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10448 on: May 08, 2018, 02:39:19 pm »
A proper HT probe is on my list of essentials to be purchased. The real bargains always come up just after I've skinted myself on a non-bargain.... like the P6013, unused in original box with the instructions and everything, from a few weeks ago. £30 something it went for while I had not a pot to piss in :palm: I just couldn't bring myself to buy a cheapo new one after seeing that.

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #10449 on: May 08, 2018, 04:22:31 pm »
Looking good  :-+

Have a look round the intensity control and HV divider resistors. They all seem to go a bit drifty.

Had a similar situation with a B&K 2120 scope where the focus divider resistors went wonky. Tomorrow I'll be diving into the 465 CRT circuit.

I have a B&K PR-28 HV probe which I've used several times and is fairly accurate. It hasn't seen any use in many years but it looks like it's gonna get a workout. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf