Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14407660 times)

marcumr, RolandK and 28 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #10475 on: May 10, 2018, 09:15:06 am »
Thanks for posting that - much appreciated.

nice design. Looks like it's using the CD4069UBEs (unbuffered) as amplifiers and the 4066s as switches to select range/gain. Chopper perhaps to kill the offset.

I'm genuinely amazed at what you can get your typical CMOS ICs to do that they weren't designed for :D

Edit: interestingly I built the mic amp years ago with a CD4069BE. It had a ridiculous gain of about 50dB with just one gate and a feedback resistor. Surprisingly you can get 30dB up to about 10MHz out of the thing.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 09:22:29 am by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10476 on: May 10, 2018, 09:59:11 am »
Thing that strikes me apart from it really looking like its new and nicely laid out, is the sheer amount of wasted space in it. Could have made it so much smaller with ease.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #10477 on: May 10, 2018, 11:08:11 am »
Thing that strikes me apart from it really looking like its new and nicely laid out, is the sheer amount of wasted space in it. Could have made it so much smaller with ease.

Agree, lots of free space inside, also from date codes, it was manufactured in early 90s.

Its still very new as its stored practically in the box all this time, you can see from the bottom metal rainbow colored plate, that kind of metal usually will start to show sign of rusting once the equipment is exposed to humidity, its still smooth & shiny.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 11:19:07 am by BravoV »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #10478 on: May 10, 2018, 12:14:13 pm »
I got though more 465’s than shoes in the last 5 years  :-DD
I reckon a couple of hundred so far.
That isn't helping.

And they’re not bloody cheap!
Thank you ... that's taken the edge off a little.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #10479 on: May 10, 2018, 12:31:22 pm »
I reckon a couple of hundred so far. And they’re not bloody cheap!

Last time I looked, CPC had them at a tolerable price - much cheaper than Farnell. Not a wide range, but you don't need that for 4x5 scopes :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10480 on: May 10, 2018, 12:34:51 pm »
You fill my heart with sorrow  and  dread.  My 465 is comatose and I fear the morning like a soldier about to assault the enemy.  Through the dark hours I am tormented by the products of oriental perfidy and promises not fulfilled.  Whatever shall become of me?

RESIST!  resist the temptation!   

and remember.......

never be daunted.  never be daunted in public.

lest you find yourself trapped behind a wall of TE.

And you may ask yourself
Am I right? Am I wrong?
And you may say yourself, "My God! What have I done?"
same as it ever was.

free range primate

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10481 on: May 10, 2018, 12:39:23 pm »
I reckon a couple of hundred so far. And they’re not bloody cheap!

Last time I looked, CPC had them at a tolerable price - much cheaper than Farnell. Not a wide range, but you don't need that for 4x5 scopes :)

That's where I got mine from. Much better than RS pricing!

Tayda have AVX ones (supposedly) for the best price I found though: https://www.taydaelectronics.com/capacitors/tantalum-capacitors.html

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10482 on: May 10, 2018, 12:40:07 pm »
You fill my heart with sorrow  and  dread.  My 465 is comatose and I fear the morning like a soldier about to assault the enemy.  Through the dark hours I am tormented by the products of oriental perfidy and promises not fulfilled.  Whatever shall become of me?

RESIST!  resist the temptation!   

and remember.......

never be daunted.  never be daunted in public.

lest you find yourself trapped behind a wall of TE.

And you may ask yourself
Am I right? Am I wrong?
And you may say yourself, "My God! What have I done?"
same as it ever was.

The words are wise. Make sure you have the floor boards for it. I'm fortunate to have a concrete floor :D

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10483 on: May 10, 2018, 02:51:57 pm »
Oh, dear.  I fear deeply for my immortal soul.  I just bought a factory refurb MSOX3104T with all SW options from Keysight's eBay store.  The sales tax alone was enough to give me heart palpitations.   I'd have offered less if I'd realized it would be taxed.

So take this as a warning and do not venture on the paths of temptation lest you too should fall from grace.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10484 on: May 10, 2018, 03:11:33 pm »
Oh, dear.  I fear deeply for my immortal soul.  I just bought a factory refurb MSOX3104T with all SW options from Keysight's eBay store.  The sales tax alone was enough to give me heart palpitations.   I'd have offered less if I'd realized it would be taxed.

So take this as a warning and do not venture on the paths of temptation lest you too should fall from grace.

lordy lordy lordy!  if you were gonna' backslide down the wrong path that sure was the way to do it.

now i have a jones for a modern mso........but YOU are the new poster boy for TEA.

next time temptation raises it's ugly head i will think of you.....and observe a moment of silent contemplation in your memory.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 03:26:34 pm by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10485 on: May 10, 2018, 03:13:46 pm »

And I chickened out on a 200MHz 2000 X  :-DD

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #10486 on: May 10, 2018, 03:33:03 pm »
Holy Moly!  That's a whole lotta scope.  On their website they advertise "A Free Probe with Purchase"

I didn't realize at first that they aren't talking about a scope probe until I saw the eye watering price...

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10487 on: May 10, 2018, 03:35:08 pm »

And I chickened out on a 200MHz 2000 X  :-DD

was tempted by new keysight gear not long ago. 

swmbo was consulted.  believe it or not she convinced me the toyota tacoma now parked in the driveway was a better option.

she is is often right about these things.   (was tempted to try redneck foreplay on her afterward, but she still scares me too much for that)

oh......redneck foreplay......"git in the truck bitch"
free range primate

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10488 on: May 10, 2018, 03:37:50 pm »
Holy Moly!  That's a whole lotta scope.  On their website they advertise "A Free Probe with Purchase"

I didn't realize at first that they aren't talking about a scope probe until I saw the eye watering price...

That sure is some serious scope, but the probe alone would make a lot of people think twice about buying one  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #10489 on: May 10, 2018, 04:04:38 pm »

lordy lordy lordy!  if you were gonna' backslide down the wrong path that sure was the way to do it.

now i have a jones for a modern mso........but YOU are the new poster boy for TEA.

next time temptation raises it's ugly head i will think of you.....and observe a moment of silent contemplation in your memory.

*Backs slowly away from those who've been irreversibly contaminated by the new shiny*

mnem
Don't forget the SquareTrade on that monstrosity...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 04:14:49 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10490 on: May 10, 2018, 04:08:54 pm »

That sure is some serious scope, but the probe alone would make a lot of people think twice about buying one  :-DD

The funny thing is that’s pretty cheap for a scope compared to some.

Keysight have a couple which run to $400,000 a pop.

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #10491 on: May 10, 2018, 04:14:51 pm »

*me wishing I still had that fainting couch...   :phew:

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #10492 on: May 10, 2018, 04:42:23 pm »
I've been turning my attention towards something that can decode, or simply a full blown MSO too. I really like the plucky "cheapy" I have now, but working on busses can be a bit of a pain. The logic analyser can partially solve that, but it's not perfect. A third channel would be nice too.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10493 on: May 10, 2018, 04:58:20 pm »

Just ordered mine....
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10494 on: May 10, 2018, 05:01:12 pm »
I've been turning my attention towards something that can decode, or simply a full blown MSO too. I really like the plucky "cheapy" I have now, but working on busses can be a bit of a pain. The logic analyser can partially solve that, but it's not perfect. A third channel would be nice too.

I had the DS1054Z for protocol decoding. Got rid of that. Now I’ve got a cheap saleae clone. And you know what? I’ve been buggering around with USB, SPI and I2C and haven’t had to use it once yet.  :-//

Just ordered mine....

Did you get a tent to put it in down the park after selling the house? :-DD

Just seen a cool toy listed on eBay. If I win it I’m going to be a very happy transistor indeed. Wanted once since I was about 15 :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10495 on: May 10, 2018, 05:06:18 pm »

Just seen a cool toy listed on eBay. If I win it I’m going to be a very happy transistor indeed. Wanted once since I was about 15 :)
Do spill the beans... what is it? >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10496 on: May 10, 2018, 05:08:03 pm »
Looks like it'll tomorrow now for my meter  :(
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10497 on: May 10, 2018, 05:11:47 pm »

No because someone else will buy it  :-DD

Looks like it'll tomorrow now for my meter  :(

:(

Haven’t had time to sort mine yet. Been too busy. Boo hiss. Got RS order arriving tomorrow however. A box for something I built.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10498 on: May 10, 2018, 05:19:35 pm »

No because someone else will buy it  :-DD

Not if you PM me  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10499 on: May 10, 2018, 05:26:47 pm »
Yup, I'm keeping shtum about something (I find) exciting too. You can't be too careful, you know. The walls have ears.... eyes... because reading, obviously.... but they also have Ebay accounts!  :o

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf