Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14406292 times)

zepto, salvagedcircuitry and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #10575 on: May 12, 2018, 06:36:05 pm »
I had an Ebay purchase that was totally non-suspect turn out to be a scam. Got a message after the sale saying that he was away on holiday so he'd give me a refund...? That made no sense, so I was careful about clicking for a while, and sure enough a fake Paypal notification from the seller's Google mail account turns up hoping I'd use the link in the email. Scum bags.

Anyway, here's a shot of the 2467B today.... still hasn't exploded! It has already shown me that the TTL output of my LG function gen has gone a bit funky, and it's square wave is only square at about 1 KHz. I'll have to have a look at that soon. The service manual for the 2467B & 2465B turned up today, only a reprint, but it has got 11" x 14" prints of the pull-outs.

Hopefully by this time next week I shall have a fully working 2465B sitting on top of the 2467B.

Looks good!  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: GerryBags

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10576 on: May 12, 2018, 06:48:09 pm »
Usually in the chrome, Firefox and IE saved password usual hangouts :)

We recently started sending all our users phishing links and send the idiots who click them to re-education camps. I suggested concentration camps but they frowned and said “too soon” :D

I refer the gentleman to my earlier answer.

As for physical access, dousing the company plants in roundup solved the physical security problems. Straight in the bin rather than wedging the doors open.

I love that side of the job.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #10577 on: May 12, 2018, 06:49:29 pm »
Usually in the chrome, Firefox and IE saved password usual hangouts :)

We recently started sending all our users phishing links and send the idiots who click them to re-education camps. I suggested concentration camps but they frowned and said “too soon” :D

As for physical access, dousing the company plants in roundup solved the physical security problems. Straight in the bin rather than wedging the doors open.

I love that side of the job.

You are Simon Travglia, and I claim my £5.

I am much much worse than the BOFH. I fired someone and revoked their door card while they were out for lunch. This was for calling me Stalin because I made them follow process to the letter.

I'm SORRY!!! Please, PLEASE can I have the picture of me and my dog off my desk back?!? I know you still have it!  :-DD  *

I loved Simon Travaglia; conversed with him a few times back in the day on alt.sci.repair. (He's much nicer IRL than the BOFH... of course that would be hard not to manage.)

I spent my own time being the PFY at a number of gigs. Learned enough to know I was NOT the right person for any job title that even smelled like SysOp... but still went back to school 15 years ago for a Network Admin degree. All things considered, I'm probably lucky we ran out of money and I didn't get to finish it.  :phew:

Quote from:  Striped Irregular Bucket #5
Meantime I open up a copy of "VMS BASTARD OPERATORS MANUAL FROM HELL"; I'm reading the article I sent in about getting rid of those trouble users...

"... Modify the user's password minimum from 6 to 32 letters, give the password a 1 day lifetime, set it so that they HAVE to use the password generate utility when they change their password (so their password will always be something that looks like vaguely pronouncable line-noise), add a secondary password with the same as the above, then redefine their CLI tables so that the only command that works is DELETE, and all other commands point to it."

mnem
*That wasn't why I called him Stalin anyways... it was the moustache.
  >:D

« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 06:51:12 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10578 on: May 12, 2018, 07:01:30 pm »
That 2465 really is a score! You got a free historical document, and it all looks in great condition. If it had been in a very humid environment it would have foxed much more heavily than it has done, so it's a pretty good indicator that your 'scope has had an easy life, as far as that goes. I bet that control board gives you a lot less trouble than a later one would. Going SMD (crapacitors!) was not a step forward.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10579 on: May 12, 2018, 07:06:35 pm »
OK gang, put the kiddies to bed. Tell your XYL it's normal to look. Dim the lights. Tek 2465 pron to follow...

Pix1: The top plate with original factory sign-offs. I did not pull the top plate.

Pix2: The PITA squirrel cage fan on the rear. Later 2465A and B used a conventional fan.

Pix3: The main board in all it's glory. Looks nice and clean. No dust or dirt.

Pix4: The infamous U800. This one is the robust Tek die. Later were Maxium die and they were failure prone.

Pix5: The pin thru hole A5 board. Not ONE tant in sight. And it looks like the build date was 1984.

Power supply check at J119:

-15V             -14.997V
+5V digital    +4.984V
+10.00 Ref    +10.003V
-5V               -4.980V
+15V            +14.994V
+87V            +86.945V
+42.4V         +42.500V
-8V               -8.013V
+5V analog   +4.973V

Checked ripple and all in spec. Based upon what I see I think this scope has relatively low hours. But the 2465 doesn't have the EXER05 so I can't verify that.

That's just delicious! I am quite jealous; of the ones I have, only my own personal 2465 has the sign-offs, and it has had the DC-DC converter rebuilt. Yours looks to be factory snuff.

I know you're dead chuffed to have gotten it for only $60; but really... now that you've seen it, wouldn't you have happily paid the $75?   :-+

mnem
People waste entirely too much time trying not to be screwed out of a few dollars, when our time is by far the more valuable commodity.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 07:08:43 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tecman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10580 on: May 12, 2018, 07:14:06 pm »
Although it has lived this long, try to get a heatsink on U800 to help it li ves a long life.  Replacements are rare and expensive.  You should also look into a battery change and electrolytic replacement.

paul

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #10581 on: May 12, 2018, 07:28:35 pm »
Although it has lived this long, try to get a heatsink on U800 to help it li ves a long life.  Replacements are rare and expensive.  You should also look into a battery change and electrolytic replacement.

paul

Nope, I'm leaving U800 alone. It is a Tek die with a proven record of reliability and durability. As long as you keep it dust/dirt free and ensure the fan operates it will last. It's the Maxium dies that crap out.

The 2465 does not have batteries for cal data. It's EAROM.

As far as cap replacement is concerned for now I'm just gonna run it. Yep, it's a crap shoot but I really suspect there's a lot of life left in this old girl.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10582 on: May 12, 2018, 07:29:04 pm »

paul

The infamous U800 failure is not primarily one of heat; they are designed to sink heat from the bottom. As often as not, it is caused by folks reinstalling the nut on the tab of the U800 which was removed at the factory or by Tek service agents. These were removed on 'scopes with the Maxium die U800s because they were discovered by Tek to not be as robust; thereby leading to the die separating from the metal substrate because of the pressure of that nut.

Putting a heat sink on the chip is at best like putting a band-aid on a hangnail; as useless as if you were to put cooling fins on a modern household AC compressor. While it MIGHT save the chip in the case of a complete fan failure, it is far likelier that chip will die either because some dingle installed the above nut and over tightened it, or because they thought it was a good idea to run the 'scope without the cover on for an extended period of time.

Also, this is a 2465; as per our earlier conversation, no NVRAM, no Battery on the A5 board.

Cheers,

mnem
D'OH!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #10583 on: May 12, 2018, 07:35:42 pm »
Some functional tests.

Signal source, Heath IG-4244 Oscilloscope Calibrator

Pix 1: 1 MHz

Pix 2: 10 MHz

Pix 3: 50 MHz

In conclusion...this 2465 is almost like factory new. This SOB is CHERRY!  :-DD

Mnem...to answer your question...knowing what I know now I would have given away my first born to get this scope.  :scared:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10584 on: May 12, 2018, 07:47:53 pm »
Some functional tests.

Signal source, Heath IG-4244 Oscilloscope Calibrator

Pix 1: 1 MHz

Pix 2: 10 MHz

Pix 3: 50 MHz

In conclusion...this 2465 is almost like factory new. This SOB is CHERRY!  :-DD

Mnem...to answer your question...knowing what I know now I would have given away my first born to get this scope.  :scared:

FOFL!!! Well, I am glad for your sake this didn't turn into a "the one that got away" story.  :-+

Isn't it nice to have a piece of gear that's good enough, and running well enough, to actually be able to see the shortcomings of your other gear and the probes you're using it with?  >:D

mnem

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #10585 on: May 12, 2018, 07:53:42 pm »
That 2465 really is a score! You got a free historical document, and it all looks in great condition. If it had been in a very humid environment it would have foxed much more heavily than it has done, so it's a pretty good indicator that your 'scope has had an easy life, as far as that goes. I bet that control board gives you a lot less trouble than a later one would. Going SMD (crapacitors!) was not a step forward.

Without a doubt this 2465 had an easy life. Unlike the 465 I'm working on that clearly spent some time in a damp environment. It's been a challenge at times and it still isn't fully functional.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #10586 on: May 12, 2018, 08:18:59 pm »

I haven't got that in either of my 2465s or my 2445b :(

I've cracked the case of my newly acquired 2465. Nice modern fan, 1985 datestamps, all rails within spec :) Wimas crazed and ready to blow :(
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 08:20:44 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10587 on: May 12, 2018, 08:21:28 pm »
I think the term is: Winner, winner, chicken-dinner!

Hmmm, I also have a 465B that looks to have been in barn.... possibly serving as a door stop. I have BD139's assurance they are nice to work on, which is a relief, as I feel that mine will also need lots of working on. Total, like, kwinky-dinks! I even have a broken knob (fnar, fnar) due to poor shipping on the 2465B I've got, it even bent the shaft of the "intensity" pot, and all I found of the knob were about 60% of the crumbs.

The "var" knob I ordered from Greece arrived here today, ordered about three days ago, colour me amazed.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #10588 on: May 12, 2018, 08:25:22 pm »
Wimas crazed and ready to blow :(

You know, It might be a good idea for me to check those. That would be a "stupidity" fail  :palm:

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10589 on: May 12, 2018, 08:31:57 pm »
Hmmm, I also have a 465B that looks to have been in barn....

I recently picked up a 400MHz DSO LeCroy 9310AM which was in a barn - and covered in a film of moisture from condensing clouds.

I let it dry out for a week, turned it on and only the fan moved. Left it another week before I worked up courage to look inside, expecting the worst.

Found the EHT lead hanging off the CRT; oh hell, didn't know that was possible. Then realised that it was merely clipped in place into a circular depression in the glass. Reattached it, and everything sprang into life :)

Not a bad scope, shame it doesn't have an FFT. Might even keep it.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10590 on: May 12, 2018, 08:37:47 pm »

You know, It might be a good idea for me to check those. That would be a "stupidity" fail  :palm:

Yup, they're all like that on the 2465B too. I nearly missed one of the smaller (2200pF) ones on the inverter board of the '67B, right between a heat sink and a transformer. What a pain in the posterior it is to get at, but it too was ready to pop. Although some people don't seem too worried by them going and keep using the 'scope, I didn't like that idea one bit as I'm sure my mains is very noisy, but it would also be a real pity to soot up the inside of your lovely 2465.

Tggzzz, very lucky! I have a 200 MHz 9304 AM that needs a recap of the display board, but the lack of decent schematics has me waiting on that one. I got it mainly for the FFT, have you tried it out on your scope yet?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10591 on: May 12, 2018, 08:39:33 pm »

Motivation:

The following users thanked this post: GerryBags

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10592 on: May 12, 2018, 08:47:14 pm »
That one was a really mild  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10593 on: May 12, 2018, 08:56:18 pm »
Comedy timing though :)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10594 on: May 12, 2018, 09:48:29 pm »

Tggzzz, very lucky! I have a 200 MHz 9304 AM that needs a recap of the display board, but the lack of decent schematics has me waiting on that one. I got it mainly for the FFT, have you tried it out on your scope yet?

FFT doesn't exist in the maths functions. I don't know whether it is possible to add it.

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10595 on: May 12, 2018, 10:22:31 pm »
FFT doesn't exist in the maths functions. I don't know whether it is possible to add it.

It was an option for the AM series, my goof, it was standard on the 9300C (which is the op manual that I downloaded marked as 9304AM  :palm:) but I just checked mine and while it has a few visible options on the back, like GPIB and a serial port, there's isn't anything in the third slot. It looks like the two options on mine were added to it, though, or else LeCroy did a rough old job of opening up the slots in the rear panel. Getting hold of the card might be a different matter.  :-\

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10596 on: May 12, 2018, 10:26:07 pm »
OT, just watching the results coming in for Euro-vision and once again UK is doing shit.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10597 on: May 12, 2018, 10:48:01 pm »
We ARE shit.

Also how can you win against Israeli Chicken Woman?  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10598 on: May 12, 2018, 10:49:25 pm »
I doubt the protester helped though, but we are shit and we have been for years.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10599 on: May 12, 2018, 10:53:01 pm »
We ARE shit.

Also how can you win against Israeli Chicken Woman?  :-DD
We needed a fox to beat her.  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf