Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14555518 times)

djadeski, Vince, duckduck and 27 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #10775 on: May 17, 2018, 03:24:25 pm »
(SNIP)

Other news, still no sign of RS returning the meter, have emailed them now and asking WTF is going on, 5 day door to door service Yah, pull the other one, even factoring in the May bank holiday doesn't extend the time to 10/11 days  :scared:

I wonder if they found once they had it in hand that they don't have the equipment and/or technical know-how in-house to properly calibrate your particular unit, and had to ship it out to a third party?

mnem
Eve was the victim, not the attacker.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10776 on: May 17, 2018, 03:28:37 pm »
And now they were out when it was delivered back and the guy has to go to the post office to pick it up so they can send it again but he can't because he's got a puncture.  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10777 on: May 17, 2018, 03:31:01 pm »
(SNIP)

Other news, still no sign of RS returning the meter, have emailed them now and asking WTF is going on, 5 day door to door service Yah, pull the other one, even factoring in the May bank holiday doesn't extend the time to 10/11 days  :scared:

I wonder if they found once they had it in hand that they don't have the equipment and/or technical know-how in-house to properly calibrate your particular unit, and had to ship it out to a third party?

mnem
If thats the case then fine, why not come out and say so. They have had plenty of time to do so and also check on the meter and what was required to calibrate it. I spoke to them on the phone before getting a quote from them. At first the person I spoke to wasn't sure so they put me onto someone in the calibration unit, who left me on hold while they went and checked. Came back and told yes they could do it and then emailed me a quote, so I now have spoken to 4 people and also have sent and received at 6 emails so ample time to tell me  :rant: 
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10778 on: May 17, 2018, 03:33:19 pm »
And now they were out when it was delivered back and the guy has to go to the post office to pick it up so they can send it again but he can't because he's got a puncture.  :-DD
I'll give him a puncture for real if I don't get some sensible reply back  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10779 on: May 17, 2018, 03:38:44 pm »
In other news, the package from China, was what I ordered from Aliexpress on the 7th May, excellent service.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10780 on: May 17, 2018, 03:41:02 pm »

Now now... a puncture and a perforation are NOT the same thing.   :o  If you want to strike dread in their hearts, use the correct terminology.  >:D

mnem
Also, we are engineers. We have certain standards.  :-DD
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10781 on: May 17, 2018, 03:46:06 pm »

Now now... a puncture and a perforation are NOT the same thing.   :o  If you want to strike dread in their hearts, use the correct terminology.  >:D

mnem
If you have a perforation in a tyre (or should I say tire?) then the end result is same as it punctures the tyre (tire) and air escapes leaving it flat  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10782 on: May 17, 2018, 03:48:58 pm »
(SNIP)

mnem
If thats the case then fine, why not come out and say so. They have had plenty of time to do so and also check on the meter and what was required to calibrate it. I spoke to them on the phone before getting a quote from them. At first the person I spoke to wasn't sure so they put me onto someone in the calibration unit, who left me on hold while they went and checked. Came back and told yes they could do it and then emailed me a quote, so I now have spoken to 4 people and also have sent and received at 6 emails so ample time to tell me  :rant:

Then you will of course demand to know who the third party is, and they can't have that. DUH.  :-DD

I agree that it has gone far beyond reasonable, and that any person you speak with SHOULD at least be able to tell you where your gear IS at any time. But come on... these people are, after all, still working within a corporation. They're going to hide behind the bureaucracy for absolutely as long as they can possibly stretch it out in hopes of fixing it rather than admitting to their fuckup.

Cheers,

mnem
I can't fix that. There. Now at least SOMEBODY said it to your face.  ;)

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10783 on: May 17, 2018, 03:49:57 pm »

Hmmm... what are the chances it was caused by electrolyte from an exploded cap someone replaced ages ago but never bothered to clean up?

Just a random thought...

Congrats on resurrecting it, BTW. That one looks like it was a real head-scratcher.  :-+

mnem
*Toddles off to ded*

Nah, there was no "missing" electrolytic, and the ones I replaced in the PSU proved to be still in perfect condition (C and ESR). No apparent repair before mine, either.

You're right, I scratched my head more than once!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10784 on: May 17, 2018, 03:57:33 pm »

Hmmm... what are the chances it was caused by electrolyte from an exploded cap someone replaced ages ago but never bothered to clean up?

Just a random thought...

Congrats on resurrecting it, BTW. That one looks like it was a real head-scratcher.  :-+

mnem
*Toddles off to ded*

Nah, there was no "missing" electrolytic, and the ones I replaced in the PSU proved to be still in perfect condition (C and ESR). No apparent repair before mine, either.

Careful when scratching your head, you could end having less hair that way, thats what happened to me.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10785 on: May 17, 2018, 03:57:56 pm »

mnem
If you have a perforation in a tyre (or should I say tire?) then the end result is same as it punctures the tyre (tire) and air escapes leaving it flat  :-DD

Yes, but if you're talking about a PERSON, a perforated ANYTHING carries MUCH more dire connotation.

mnem

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10786 on: May 17, 2018, 03:59:50 pm »
(SNIP)

mnem

Then you will of course demand to know who the third party is, and they can't have that. DUH.  :-DD

I agree that it has gone far beyond reasonable, and that any person you speak with SHOULD at least be able to tell you where your gear IS at any time. But come on... these people are, after all, still working within a corporation. They're going to hide behind the bureaucracy for absolutely as long as they can possibly stretch it out in hopes of fixing it rather than admitting to their fuckup.

Cheers,

mnem
WTF, you don't think that they farmed it out to ASIA do you  :o
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10787 on: May 17, 2018, 04:07:30 pm »

Just a random thought...

mnem
*Toddles off to ded*

Careful when scratching your head, you could end having less hair that way, thats what happened to me.

Have you looked on your back? That's where mine all wound up.  :-DD

mnem
I had to start shaving my face when I was 12; I was so excited to be growing up. Now I have a special shaver for inside my ears.  :o That makes me SO the OPPOSITE of excited.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10788 on: May 17, 2018, 04:10:38 pm »
Mine has migrated further down than the back now  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10789 on: May 17, 2018, 04:14:52 pm »
(SNIP)

Cheers,

mnem

Oh sheep dip... you  just HAD to say it; just HAD to put that idea out into the aether. Do you have NO sense of self-preservation whatsoever?   :-DD

mnem
Officer Training 101: Don't Taunt Murphy.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 04:18:54 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10790 on: May 17, 2018, 04:18:34 pm »
Mine has migrated further down than the back now  :-DD

What is it you lot say.. "I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole."  :-DD

mnem
That way lies madness...

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10791 on: May 17, 2018, 04:23:12 pm »

Oh sheep dip... you  just HAD to say it; HAD to put that idea out into the aether. Do you have NO sense of self-preservation whatsoever?   :-DD

mnem

True story! Saying bad things makes them happen. In my family this was known as Sod's Law, with a relationship to Murphy's Law similar to the one Kirchoff's Laws share with Ohm's.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10792 on: May 17, 2018, 04:38:01 pm »
(SNIP)

Cheers,

mnem

Oh sheep dip... you  just HAD to say it; just HAD to put that idea out into the aether. Do you have NO sense of self-preservation whatsoever?   :-DD

mnem
Yep I have plenty of self-preservation, thats why I never provoke anything or anyone living or mythical, by the way I saw you the other day in the shopping mall and took a photo for you
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10793 on: May 17, 2018, 04:49:23 pm »
Bought something \o/

Heathkit IM-5238 AC voltmeter. £25 untested. Not much to go wrong in them.

There is a crazy reason for purchasing this. It has dB output in linear scale, resolution down to 1mV FSD and 1MHz bandwidth. So when I’m designing filters I can pop it in my U1241C and plug that into the computer and the TF930 connected to the function generator and measure filter response progressively via sampling the wiggles of the frequency knob.

Actually needed this today.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10794 on: May 17, 2018, 04:54:14 pm »
Bought something \o/

There is a crazy reason for purchasing this. It has dB output in linear scale, resolution down to 1mV FSD and 1MHz bandwidth. So when I’m designing filters I can pop it in my U1241C and plug that into the computer and the TF930 connected to the function generator and measure filter response progressively via sampling the wiggles of the frequency knob.

Nice bit of kit, for a moment there I thought that you was going to build your LCR tester inside it and use the meter in a similar fashion to the Tektronix 130?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10795 on: May 17, 2018, 04:59:19 pm »
I’d like an enclosure like that actually for the LC meter.

However this one will be kept. Very useful little device.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10796 on: May 17, 2018, 05:31:05 pm »
(SNIP)

mnem
Yep I have plenty of self-preservation, thats why I never provoke anything or anyone living or mythical, by the way I saw you the other day in the shopping mall and took a photo for you.

Oh yes, and your camera captured a right proper Welsh Red; while my alter-ego is technically a dreadnaught-class bronze, my great Grandma Edwards would surely be proud. ;D Thank you!

*SNURCH!!!*

mnem
"Don't look back, and don't run. You must never run from anything immortal; it attracts their attention."

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10797 on: May 17, 2018, 05:40:28 pm »
(SNIP)

mnem
Yep I have plenty of self-preservation, thats why I never provoke anything or anyone living or mythical, by the way I saw you the other day in the shopping mall and took a photo for you.

Oh yes, and your camera captured a right proper Welsh Red; while my alter-ego is technically a dreadnaught-class bronze, my great Grandma Edwards would surely be proud. ;D Thank you!

*SNURCH!!!*

mnem
"Don't look back, and don't run. You must never run from anything immortal; it attracts their attention."

Talking of Snurch!!!

Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10798 on: May 17, 2018, 05:42:44 pm »
Bought something \o/

Why do I imagine something like THIS going on in your lab right now? :-DD

mnem
"We're gonna need bigger electron guns."

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10799 on: May 17, 2018, 05:45:31 pm »
Well the smoke aspect could something bd139 has just blown up or SWMBO's burnt the dinner again  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf