Products > Test Equipment

Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread

<< < (21589/24075) > >>

DC1MC:

--- Quote from: cyclin_al on November 29, 2021, 02:22:10 am ---...
The offending device is the Realtek RTL8125 series.  In my case, it is on an ASRock B550 Steel Legend motherboard.

--- End quote ---

"Ubuntu 21.04 wird der RTL8125 nativ vom Kernel 5.10.x unterst├╝tzt."

In this version of French that is not used too much in Canada  >:D, it tells us that the Ubuntu 21.04 supports natively the  chip and if you don't have special reasons for to install another Ubuntu version, I would go with this one, making the updates a bit easier.

Also kernel series 5.10 is ancient, I'm always amazed why the desktop distributions are not a bit more agile with the kernel and libraries, but this a whole other can of bird seeds.

Cheers,
DC1MC

Zoli:

--- Quote from: DC1MC on November 29, 2021, 06:21:38 am ---
--- Quote from: cyclin_al on November 29, 2021, 02:22:10 am ---...
The offending device is the Realtek RTL8125 series.  In my case, it is on an ASRock B550 Steel Legend motherboard.

--- End quote ---

"Ubuntu 21.04 wird der RTL8125 nativ vom Kernel 5.10.x unterst├╝tzt."

In this version of French that is not used too much in Canada  >:D, it tells us that the Ubuntu 21.04 supports natively the  chip and if you don't have special reasons for to install another Ubuntu version, I would go with this one, making the updates a bit easier.

Also kernel series 5.10 is ancient, I'm always amazed why the desktop distributions are not a bit more agile with the kernel and libraries, but this a whole other can of bird seeds.

Cheers,
DC1MC

--- End quote ---
Hmmm....

--- Quote from: cyclin_al on November 27, 2021, 09:17:40 pm ---....
It started off okay, with creating an installation USB and doing the install of Ubuntu 20.04.
However, there was no networking.  Eventually discovered that there is no driver for the on-board Ethernet.

--- End quote ---
Looks like DC1MC's French is more advanced, always ahead with one :-DD :-DD :-DD

mansaxel:

--- Quote from: cyclin_al on November 29, 2021, 02:22:10 am ---The end-state goal is to use the onboard 2.5 Gbit wired ethernet.  WLAN as a temporary solution to perform the install/updates has got potential; I just need to get the dongle (hopefully tomorrow).

--- End quote ---

* My snarky answer is to upgrade to OpenBSD, whose "rge" driver is in kernel and has support for the card in question.

* My technically relevant answer is the you oughta install "apt-rdepends" which is a command I just discovered that lists the dependencies of a package. The dependencies of apt-rdepends are:

--- Code: ---apt-rdepends
  Depends: libapt-pkg-perl (>= 0.1.11)
  Depends: perl:any
libapt-pkg-perl
  Depends: libapt-pkg6.0 (>= 2.1.20)
  Depends: libc6 (>= 2.14)
  Depends: libgcc-s1 (>= 3.0)
  Depends: perl
  Depends: perlapi-5.32.1
<snip>

--- End code ---

Then, this list can be used thusly:

--- Code: ---apt-rdepends apt-rdepends  | \
awk '/Depends/ {
      pkgs[$2]++;
      };
      END {
            for (pkg in pkgs) {
                 print pkg;
            };
};' | \
while read pkg ; do
     apt-get download ${pkg} ;
done
--- End code ---
This can be used to create a stash of packages in the current directory, that then can be sneakernetted to the relevant computer.
[/li]

* The practical answer is to download a newer release of the operating system to a USB stick and install that.

Remember that "Ubuntu" is zulu for "I can't install Devuan."  :-DD :-DD :-DD

ch_scr:

--- Quote from: mansaxel on November 29, 2021, 08:15:01 am ---[...]

Remember that "Ubuntu" is zulu for "I can't install Devuan."  :-DD :-DD :-DD

--- End quote ---
Installing the Devuan is not the problem, running with it is (for me at least). As an "unlucky one" that has come to Linux only after the "poettering apocalypse" - I know nothing else.
I can make a easily comprehensible, human readable, start "script" to have something autostart on a Debian (or anything that runs the dreaded systemd) -
but on devuan, looking into how one might do it, it leads to a whole rabbit hole of tools and references. (And this is just the first thing I was defeated by that came to mind)
As someone who still relies heavily on google to get around doing stuff on linux (and it's not like it is too easy anway) straying too far from the guarded path leads only to despair...

Specmaster:

--- Quote from: med6753 on November 29, 2021, 03:30:41 am ---
--- Quote from: Specmaster on November 29, 2021, 01:36:13 am ---
--- Quote from: med6753 on November 28, 2021, 09:15:42 pm ---
--- Quote from: factory on November 28, 2021, 08:36:48 pm ---
--- Quote from: med6753 on November 28, 2021, 03:26:55 pm ---
--- Quote from: vk6zgo on November 28, 2021, 02:58:57 pm ---
.....snip

It seems there are quite a lot of such bulldust merchants around----I remember some allegedly ex-Tektronix guys trying to tell us that the seriously dire Tek 650 series of picture monitors were really "all made by Sony!'.

Funny thing, they all had "Beaverton , Oregon" all over them!

--- End quote ---

They might have been partially correct. Sony learned a lot from Tek on CRT manufacturing and applied that to the development of the Trinitron CRT. It's possible that those monitors had a Trinitron CRT but were still built in Beaverton.

--- End quote ---

Here is one of those Tek picture monitors I saw last week but forgot to post, didn't sell at 99 euros, no idea if it's a Sony or not.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/275037647046

Not sure I would want to touch anything Sony TV related from the 1970's, after watching the recent Shango066 video.

David

--- End quote ---

Judging by the "squareness" of the CRT it has the look of a Trinitron. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't.

--- End quote ---
That was my reaction when I saw the photo, and isn't there some sort of tie up between Tek and Sony anyway?

--- End quote ---

Yes. In order for Tek to sell equipment in Japan they had to team up with a Japanese company who just happen to be Sony. And there are Sony/Tektronix branded scopes.

https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/335

--- End quote ---
Oh I see, they are still 2 separate companies but use an association with Sony to access the Japanese market.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version