Products > Test Equipment

Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread

<< < (21590/22394) > >>

capt bullshot:
Not exactly fun with TEA here, but I've had some fun building a simple transistor test adapter for the Tek 577:

Nothing to tell your mother about, just using stuff that was readily available in the stash. No PCB layout, just perfboard, no fancy white solder mask with black silkscreen, just a printed piece of paper.

syau:

--- Quote from: med6753 on November 28, 2021, 09:15:42 pm ---
--- Quote from: factory on November 28, 2021, 08:36:48 pm ---
--- Quote from: med6753 on November 28, 2021, 03:26:55 pm ---
--- Quote from: vk6zgo on November 28, 2021, 02:58:57 pm ---
.....snip

It seems there are quite a lot of such bulldust merchants around----I remember some allegedly ex-Tektronix guys trying to tell us that the seriously dire Tek 650 series of picture monitors were really "all made by Sony!'.

Funny thing, they all had "Beaverton , Oregon" all over them!

--- End quote ---

They might have been partially correct. Sony learned a lot from Tek on CRT manufacturing and applied that to the development of the Trinitron CRT. It's possible that those monitors had a Trinitron CRT but were still built in Beaverton.

--- End quote ---

Here is one of those Tek picture monitors I saw last week but forgot to post, didn't sell at 99 euros, no idea if it's a Sony or not.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/275037647046

Not sure I would want to touch anything Sony TV related from the 1970's, after watching the recent Shango066 video.

David

--- End quote ---

Judging by the "squareness" of the CRT it has the look of a Trinitron. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't.

--- End quote ---

If the screen is only curved horizontally, high chance it is a Sony Trinitron tube.

TERRA Operative:

--- Quote from: med6753 on November 29, 2021, 03:30:41 am ---
--- Quote from: Specmaster on November 29, 2021, 01:36:13 am ---
.....snip

It seems there are quite a lot of such bulldust merchants around----I remember some allegedly ex-Tektronix guys trying to tell us that the seriously dire Tek 650 series of picture monitors were really "all made by Sony!'.

--- End quote ---

They might have been partially correct. Sony learned a lot from Tek on CRT manufacturing and applied that to the development of the Trinitron CRT. It's possible that those monitors had a Trinitron CRT but were still built in Beaverton.

--- End quote ---

Here is one of those Tek picture monitors I saw last week but forgot to post, didn't sell at 99 euros, no idea if it's a Sony or not.

Not sure I would want to touch anything Sony TV related from the 1970's, after watching the recent Shango066 video.

David

--- End quote ---

Judging by the "squareness" of the CRT it has the look of a Trinitron. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't.

--- End quote ---
That was my reaction when I saw the photo, and isn't there some sort of tie up between Tek and Sony anyway?

--- End quote ---

Yes. In order for Tek to sell equipment in Japan they had to team up with a Japanese company who just happen to be Sony. And there are Sony/Tektronix branded scopes.

https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/335

--- End quote ---

Same deal with HP/Yokogawa.
They also swapped products between each other too, an easy way to expand your product portfolio.

med6753:

--- Quote from: TERRA Operative on November 29, 2021, 10:33:12 am ---
--- Quote from: med6753 on November 29, 2021, 03:30:41 am ---
--- Quote from: Specmaster on November 29, 2021, 01:36:13 am ---
.....snip

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

David

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
That was my reaction when I saw the photo, and isn't there some sort of tie up between Tek and Sony anyway?

--- End quote ---

Yes. In order for Tek to sell equipment in Japan they had to team up with a Japanese company who just happen to be Sony. And there are Sony/Tektronix branded scopes.

https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/335

--- End quote ---

Same deal with HP/Yokogawa.
They also swapped products between each other too, an easy way to expand your product portfolio.

--- End quote ---

Correct. But the real driving factor is Japan's very restrictive policies concerning foreign companies doing business there. 

mnementh:

--- Quote from: ch_scr on November 29, 2021, 08:41:17 am ---
--- Quote from: mansaxel on November 29, 2021, 08:15:01 am ---[...]

Remember that "Ubuntu" is zulu for "I can't install Devuan."  :-DD :-DD :-DD

--- End quote ---
Installing the Devuan is not the problem, running with it is (for me at least). As an "unlucky one" that has come to Linux only after the "poettering apocalypse" - I know nothing else.
I can make a easily comprehensible, human readable, start "script" to have something autostart on a Debian (or anything that runs the dreaded systemd) -
but on devuan, looking into how one might do it, it leads to a whole rabbit hole of tools and references. (And this is just the first thing I was defeated by that came to mind)
As someone who still relies heavily on google to get around doing stuff on linux (and it's not like it is too easy anway) straying too far from the guarded path leads only to despair...
--- End quote ---
"Devuan" is *NIX-nerd for "I need my daily dose of      !"    >:D

mnem
Okay, I admit it... I'm still a wannabe *NIX-nerd... :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version