Products > Test Equipment

Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread

<< < (21605/25095) > >>

mansaxel:

--- Quote from: tggzzz on November 29, 2021, 11:10:10 pm ---
--- Quote from: Vince on November 29, 2021, 09:30:51 pm ---Ah yes that's what I advised... experiment on a spare PC, progressively.. don't wipe your main system...

--- End quote ---

Dual booting is a way of avoiding that issue.

--- End quote ---

Dual booting is a good way to wipe your main system.

ch_scr:

--- Quote from: mansaxel on November 30, 2021, 06:33:37 am ---
--- Quote from: Vince on November 29, 2021, 09:30:51 pm ---Ah yes that's what I advised... experiment on a spare PC, progressively.. don't wipe your main system...

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
All I can say, the Linux way... "Works for me"  >:D

tautech:

--- Quote from: mansaxel on November 30, 2021, 06:33:37 am ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Done dual boots a couple of times over the years without issue and last was a W7/W8.2 before I went to W10.
However for some years have run the OS on a SSD and data on a HD and only the processor hungry programs on the SSD for snappy launching.

mansaxel:

--- Quote from: Kosmic on November 30, 2021, 01:39:37 am ---
When I relocated the router I decided to do the same thing over here. Hooked the router/wifi to a UPS.

And since I use a laptop, it means I can continue working while the power is gone. I'm not losing power really often but it happen the other day. Was pretty cool my plan worked perfectly. I was on a vidcon meeting and it didn't even hitch :)

--- End quote ---

I've got a UPS for the router, the switches in the garage where the router is, and my servers and some of the ATA boxes for telephony. I still need to hook one up for my core switch in the house. If I can power that, I'll have power for most wifi, and the IP telephones on the bottom floor and so on. I have one brutal 500W UPS w/o batteries that I can use. Will look into it.  Today, if I need to work during an outage, I'll switch to 4G tethered from the phone, which works pretty well. There is one access point in the garage too, powered from the UPS, so that might be an option if there's reach. Might work.

mansaxel:

--- Quote from: ch_scr on November 30, 2021, 06:46:09 am ---
--- Quote from: mansaxel on November 30, 2021, 06:33:37 am ---Dual booting is a good way to wipe your main system.

--- End quote ---
All I can say, the Linux way... "Works for me"  >:D

--- End quote ---

Yes, I've had dual booting machines too, in the past. There's always that little uncertainty, though. Especially since Microsoft have a tendency to want to be alone and in control. 

Anyway, if dual-booting had worked for me, the way I want my computers to work, I'd probably run it a bit more. As it is, I tend to value continued access a bit too much. If I must reboot I can't be arsed. It's too much of a workflow reset, as I always found myself wanting something from the other OS. Emulation and structured access to data is a much better option, if I can't find a way to do things in the main OS.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version