Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14781661 times)

Jambalaya, Vince and 144 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #108025 on: November 30, 2021, 07:39:27 am »
@Zucca the forum does not support svg. search for unix history chart on google.

No, I cannot clone myself. Or rather, I have not tried yet, but my experience in advanced genetics is rather limited.
When I wanted to borrow a gene sequencer and some retrovirus equipment to fix that chromosome with the broken leg, our ethics committee told me to back off.
I might have another look as the corona virus seems like a good candidate give it another try to distribute that experiment  >:D

Why does Pinky and the Brain and Mad Scientist come to mind ...

Anyway.
(No, I am not going to do that, I think that males are getting too snowflaky anyway. I am more for the stereotypical viking, and would see myself more as a shieldmaiden than a sissy. Role stereotypes ...)

in other news,
Hubby just survived another surgery which was unsuccessful (again). Seems that they cannot get the sinus reducer in place as the catheder is either not long enough or they cannot get the long one (which they use for access from the leg) to bend around an s curve when coming from the neck.

This s*cks big time, it means they cannot help him.

I'm in the middle of packing up the stuff in the company flat. Expect to get the Volvo back tomorrow, hopefully with trailer hitch installed and operational. Will need to drive our stuff up north ASAP.
Cannot access my pinball stuff which is somewhere in an industrial complex near Hanau due to new CoVID regulations.
FFS. Has the entire country gone mad ...

No test equipment for me yet. When we are done moving I will need to restore a few pinball machines. Is there interest in a documentation ?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 08:20:26 am by Saskia »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #108026 on: November 30, 2021, 07:57:17 am »

Apparently ... return to panic mode. They don't learn a single thing - will we be still doing so in 2022, 2023 and 2024?

No test equipment for me yet. When we are done moving I will need to restore a few pinball machines. Is there interest in a documentation ?

Yes, I'd appreciate that.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108027 on: November 30, 2021, 09:32:12 am »

I know nothing about Linux, so I'd appreciate your thoughts on the setup and the version of Linux pre-installed. I'm given to to understand that it has a 100% MS Office compatable office suit as well.

Ubuntu 20.04LTS is easy to install and should work out of the box.   Modern graphics cards will need 3rd party drivers.

LibreOffice isn't 100% compatible.

MS have a beta version of Teams for linux.  - I use it.    --->   https://aka.ms/get-teams-linux

There is also the Browser based office365.  I use it mostly for Outlook.   I've seen rumours that MS are bringing all of Office to linux but it isn't something I follow closely.

MATLAB runs native on Ubuntu and there is also Octave, a free mostly compatible equivalent.  I use both at work.   - One of the MRI data analysis packages we use runs on top of MATLAB...

Right now I'm using MacOS and Ubuntu at the same time.  I've got three computers on my desk at work...

« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 09:34:46 am by Andrew_Debbie »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108028 on: November 30, 2021, 10:52:53 am »
Dual booting is a good way to wipe your main system.
All I can say, the Linux way... "Works for me"  >:D

Yes, I've had dual booting machines too, in the past. There's always that little uncertainty, though. Especially since Microsoft have a tendency to want to be alone and in control. 

Anyway, if dual-booting had worked for me, the way I want my computers to work, I'd probably run it a bit more. As it is, I tend to value continued access a bit too much. If I must reboot I can't be arsed. It's too much of a workflow reset, as I always found myself wanting something from the other OS. Emulation and structured access to data is a much better option, if I can't find a way to do things in the main OS.

I use swappable drive bays for OS swapping. The latest ones don't even need a caddy.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #108029 on: November 30, 2021, 11:10:22 am »
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS is an excellent choice for someone who isn't computer savvy nor uses one at work. That's the Lady Cop. She has her Samsung Galaxy and Amazon Fire Tablet while at work and friends in high places to get restricted wi-fi passwords. If she does need to use her computer at home it's strictly limited to how do I get on Firefox. So why have all that MS crap running if not needed? I dumped winblows on both her laptop and tower. Showed her how to bring up Firefox. That's all she needs. About as complex as we get is if she needs to print something. Icon'ed that for her. And I told her if Ubuntu wants to update to go ahead and let it do it's thing. It just works with no hassles.   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster, ch_scr, Andrew_Debbie, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108030 on: November 30, 2021, 11:28:11 am »
I want my BSD/OS back. CBA to write device drivers even tho I have the source.

@Zucca your poster was way incomplete. The entire Bell labs unix line was left out ...

There was also no mention of IBM's OS/2  >:D >:D >:D

And was a damn good O/S that Itty Bitty Morons fumbled. By the time it was perfected and actively marketed MS was in firm control.
I liked DRDOS, that was a good O/S.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108031 on: November 30, 2021, 11:50:29 am »
Next some one will start reminiscing about RT-11.     

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108032 on: November 30, 2021, 12:08:26 pm »
QNX anyone ??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QNX

In 1999/2000 I remember trying a demo disk from them. On a single 3.5" 1.44MB floppy, that you would boot from, they managed to cram a complete desktop OS. You would get your graphical desktop, task bar, "start" menu, a text editor, web browser and modem drivers, was well impressed !

What can a modern OS do with 1.44MB ? Blink an LED maybe ? If even that...

According to Wikipedia, was mostly targeted to embedded devices like smartphones. BlackBerry used QNX and eventually bought QNX... still in use today in phones and cars and whatnot, apparently...

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #108033 on: November 30, 2021, 12:15:52 pm »

OpenBSD still boots off of a 1,44MiB floppy. You can run in rescue mode from that, but it, admittingly, is mostly aimed at getting the OS running, a network configured (including a RealTek 2.5 Gbit network card driver  :-DD ) and download the install packages. 

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108034 on: November 30, 2021, 12:39:02 pm »
Keep doing that Vince as we all need pulling into line when laziness rears its head.
Oh and how's your garage coming along ?

It's coming along....

Got the steel reinforcements delivered, as well as a palette of concrete blocks I need to raise the foundations to where I need them to be.
Ordered a concrete mixer truck, poured the concrete, all 7m3 of it. Paid a bit extra to get the 13m long telescopic belt conveyor option. Makes life so much easier. Guy has a radio remote control with a joystick and can easily and accurately steer the concrete all along the trenches. Also paid a little extra and ordered the "super fluid" concrete formula (extra dose of thinner additive and fine gravel rather than coarse), as the EU norm allows. Was like soup. Along with the conveyor, made the job a breeze and the few friends I had hired for the day to spread the concrete with rakes, did not have much if anything at all to do. Soup spread nicely all by itself.

Then went to measure the hypotenuse of the garage so I can mark accurately the location of the corner of the garage, so I can get the overall geometry right.  5,80m wide by 10,7m long, hypotenuse is 12,17m long. Problem : the palette of blocks was right in the line of sight of the hypotenuse so could not measure it  !  |O  So had to empty the palette to be able to make the measurement. I opted to kill two birds with one stone, I took that opportunity to pre-position the blocks on the foundation, roughly were they would go. Then could measure the hypotenuse at last... my neighbour had just bought a few days before, one of these fancy laser thingies, a nice Bosh Pro/blue device he got used for only 5 Euros ! A grand-ma was selling for cheap the stuff from his recently deceased husband.. good deals to be had apparently !  8)

Never used these laser thingies before so I didn't trust them at first. So given that this measurement was critical, no mistake was allowed, so I double checked with my double decameter tape measure. The two measurements were spot on in agreement, I felt relieved... these little laser gizmos are reliable then... good, because it's a million times more convenient and faster to use than a decameter, when working alone as I am.
Decameter still useful though, for other tasks.

Once I had located the corner of the garage, I could put strings to materialize the edge of the slab/garage, so I can easily position/lineup the blocks.
I am addicted to those laser gizmos now, so might get a laser level to help me get the rows of blocks level, as not easy to do given the length of the garage. Almost 11m, cumulative errors quickly ruin your day. A friend is soon to buy a rotating laser as well, so I am covered...

Yesterday a friend brought me some sand in his little trailer (don't have one nor a tow hitch), nice of him. Later this week he will also bring his electric cement mixer and a rubber bucket to get the cement/sand proportion right easily.. So I will have everything I need to get cracking. I will watch the weather forecast closely and look for 2 consecutive days of guaranteed sun shine, which is pretty rare at the moment.. usually overcast with intermittent showers... it's now a race to get these blocks in place before the winter settles and temperatures become too low to do cement. So will lay the blocks in the coming days normally... as soon as weather permits.

Warning : it's obvious but the above is for information only. Any construction experts and know it all are not welcome. Refrain from lecturing me. You will either be ignored or told to fuck off, depending on the mood. You've been warned.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 01:12:24 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, tautech, med6753, Specmaster, ch_scr, Andrew_Debbie

Offline THDplusN_bad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #108035 on: November 30, 2021, 12:43:17 pm »
Ok, so will somebody from the timenuts gang from Germany please buy these from ePay - its a set of two Hewlett Packard 5065As Ru standards - pleaaase?  >:D

eBay auction: #353785283417

The current bid is at 605 European Pesos with > 1 day left.  |O

Cheers,

THDplus_bad

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108036 on: November 30, 2021, 12:45:04 pm »

OpenBSD still boots off of a 1,44MiB floppy. You can run in rescue mode from that, but it, admittingly, is mostly aimed at getting the OS running, a network configured (including a RealTek 2.5 Gbit network card driver  :-DD ) and download the install packages.

Yeah maybe it can manage to squeeze a bare-bone kernel and get you a command line a few vital network related utilities, to get out of trouble as you say but... I doubt they can fit the graphical user desktop environment and web browser, that QNX did ? I don't see that happening with any modern *nix flavor... the size of any program that's not a basic command line/console utility, is huge, with huge and numerous libraries to support it... unit these days is not bytes anymore, more like hundreds of mega bytes...   :--

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #108037 on: November 30, 2021, 12:51:37 pm »

Yeah maybe it can manage to squeeze a bare-bone kernel and get you a command line a few vital network related utilities, to get out of trouble as you say but... I doubt they can fit the graphical user desktop environment and web browser, that QNX did ? I don't see that happening with any modern *nix flavor... the size of any program that's not a basic command line/console utility, is huge, with huge and numerous libraries to support it... unit these days is not bytes anymore, more like hundreds of mega bytes...   :--

Probably not. As an example as I recall OS/2 Warp was at least 15 diskettes to install.   :o ;D

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #108038 on: November 30, 2021, 01:44:49 pm »
Wayne Kerr 3245 precision inductance analyser (R47) 86 105.00
Wayne Kerr 3245 precision inductance analyser (R46) 87 105.00

So I have a question about this brand name......

Is it an innocent coincidence, or is it a deliberate bit of cheeky innuendo?  :clap:
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #108039 on: November 30, 2021, 01:58:17 pm »
Ah yes that's what I advised... experiment on a spare PC, progressively.. don't wipe your main system...

Dual booting is a way of avoiding that issue.

Dual booting is a good way to wipe your main system. break your brain.
There, FTFY. :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #108040 on: November 30, 2021, 02:00:17 pm »
BSD/OS did boot quite well off a 1.44 MB floppy disk. and it was reasonably fast. The kernel compiled in 57 seconds on a Pentium Pro 200.

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108041 on: November 30, 2021, 02:06:35 pm »
The price on this a little on the high side. . .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115116197545

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #108042 on: November 30, 2021, 02:12:30 pm »
The price on this a little on the high side. . .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115116197545

I don't see anything remarkable about it unless it has gold plated 8416 tubes in it and doubles as an $800 USD toilet seat.  :P :-DD

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108043 on: November 30, 2021, 02:15:15 pm »
BSD/OS did boot quite well off a 1.44 MB floppy disk. and it was reasonably fast. The kernel compiled in 57 seconds on a Pentium Pro 200.

Yes sure but again, the point is, did that single floppy also provide like QNX, a full graphical desktop environment with a web browser etc ?
If so would love to download that floppy and give it a try.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108044 on: November 30, 2021, 02:32:19 pm »

When I relocated the router I decided to do the same thing over here. Hooked the router/wifi to a UPS.

And since I use a laptop, it means I can continue working while the power is gone. I'm not losing power really often but it happen the other day. Was pretty cool my plan worked perfectly. I was on a vidcon meeting and it didn't even hitch :)

I've got a UPS for the router, the switches in the garage where the router is, and my servers and some of the ATA boxes for telephony. I still need to hook one up for my core switch in the house. If I can power that, I'll have power for most wifi, and the IP telephones on the bottom floor and so on. I have one brutal 500W UPS w/o batteries that I can use. Will look into it.  Today, if I need to work during an outage, I'll switch to 4G tethered from the phone, which works pretty well. There is one access point in the garage too, powered from the UPS, so that might be an option if there's reach. Might work.

I've got one like this (not this exact model; I'm pretty sure it was the next larger one with port for optional external ER battery pack) in storage that usedta be in the living room, powering all the gateway/WiFi, entertainment center, etc. It would run the whole shebang for ~8 hours. Was a "disposal item" after a rack & stack, and it had been refit with new SLA batteries 2 years prior to decommissioning.

I imagine they're probably nicely angry & bloated by now, after 3 New York winters.  :o Fortunately, you can replace the whole set for about $150 if you shop carefully.

mnem
 :-/O

« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 02:34:49 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108045 on: November 30, 2021, 03:03:12 pm »
QNX anyone ??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QNX

In 1999/2000 I remember trying a demo disk from them. On a single 3.5" 1.44MB floppy, that you would boot from, they managed to cram a complete desktop OS. You would get your graphical desktop, task bar, "start" menu, a text editor, web browser and modem drivers, was well impressed !

According to Wikipedia, was mostly targeted to embedded devices like smartphones. BlackBerry used QNX and eventually bought QNX... still in use today in phones and cars and whatnot, apparently...

QNX started out down the road at University of Waterloo and my first experience with it was on those awful Burroughs ICON computers the government of Ontario foisted on schools here.

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108046 on: November 30, 2021, 03:07:04 pm »
Dual booting is a good way to wipe your main system.
All I can say, the Linux way... "Works for me"  >:D

Yes, I've had dual booting machines too, in the past. There's always that little uncertainty, though. Especially since Microsoft have a tendency to want to be alone and in control. 

Anyway, if dual-booting had worked for me, the way I want my computers to work, I'd probably run it a bit more. As it is, I tend to value continued access a bit too much. If I must reboot I can't be arsed. It's too much of a workflow reset, as I always found myself wanting something from the other OS. Emulation and structured access to data is a much better option, if I can't find a way to do things in the main OS.
I never could understand the willingness to fuckerize a perfectly good OS disk just to try something else. Spinning rust drives have been cheap as chips for decades now; there is no good reason to risk destroying your current working OS drive when you can buy a new one of usable capacity for ~$50, or bum something "a bit on the small side, but good enuf" from a clunker PC or a friend. Yet for some reason, almost all the guides you'll see for this kind of tinkery revolve around some bodge to make "multiboot" work. |O

When I usedta play with all the Windoze RCs and shit (back when being reasonably proficient in 2 or 3 current generations was considered "Professional Development") and yes, experimenting with *NIX, I built all my desktop PCs with 2 cheap HDD sleds in the 5.25 bays; they added aboot $30 to the build. Top one OS, bottom one common data formatted in whatever FS was most widely compatible. Any more than that, when needed, got connected to one of 2 ESATA ports and a ATA power cable snaked out a PCIe slot in the back of the PC.

My MacPro makes this kind of tinkery even easier... it comes with 4 drive trays integrated into the unit; Power down, pop a lever to remove side cover, slide drive out, slide new one in, power back up. You can even replace the HDD screws with a couple thumbscrews, and the trays cost like $6 each on fleaBay.

If it weren't for the slightly weird way they locked down the "early UEFI BIOS" in the thing to certain hardware for the "Pre-boot Environment" (GRUB, etc for you *NIX weenies), it would literally be "the machine made for experimenting with multiple OSes"; but once you learn enuf about how that actually works, there are even workarounds for that headache.  :-+

Only downside really is you have to put the PC on the right side of your desk or it blocks the side cover when you want to open it, and I generally prefer it on the left. :-//

mnem
 :blah:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 03:02:01 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Andrew_Debbie

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108047 on: November 30, 2021, 03:24:52 pm »
Ok, so will somebody from the timenuts gang from Germany please buy these from ePay - its a set of two Hewlett Packard 5065As Ru standards - pleaaase?  >:D

eBay auction: #353785283417

The current bid is at 605 European Pesos with > 1 day left.  |O

Cheers,

THDplus_bad

interesting BUT toooooo big and it will probably go for some indecent price.

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108048 on: November 30, 2021, 03:27:18 pm »
Rubidium  is rubish go for Cesium:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154720557764

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108049 on: November 30, 2021, 03:30:27 pm »
@Zucca the forum does not support svg. search for unix history chart on google.

No, I cannot clone myself. Or rather, I have not tried yet, but my experience in advanced genetics is rather limited.
When I wanted to borrow a gene sequencer and some retrovirus equipment to fix that chromosome with the broken leg, our ethics committee told me to back off.
I might have another look as the corona virus seems like a good candidate give it another try to distribute that experiment  >:D

Why does Pinky and the Brain and Mad Scientist come to mind ...

Anyway.
(No, I am not going to do that, I think that males are getting too snowflaky anyway. I am more for the stereotypical viking, and would see myself more as a shieldmaiden than a sissy. Role stereotypes ...)

in other news,
Hubby just survived another surgery which was unsuccessful (again). Seems that they cannot get the sinus reducer in place as the catheder is either not long enough or they cannot get the long one (which they use for access from the leg) to bend around an s curve when coming from the neck.

This s*cks big time, it means they cannot help him.

I'm in the middle of packing up the stuff in the company flat. Expect to get the Volvo back tomorrow, hopefully with trailer hitch installed and operational. Will need to drive our stuff up north ASAP.
Cannot access my pinball stuff which is somewhere in an industrial complex near Hanau due to new CoVID regulations.

So sorry to hear about hubby. All I can say is you are fortunate to even have access to the means to make such an attempt; our options for medical care of any kind are much more limited right now.  :-[

I don't know that I've ever seen you as the "mad scientist" sort... "angry scientist" from time to time, maybe...  ;)

Yes, the entire world has gone mad. Full STOP.

Yes, if you have the time and need to burn off some frustration, we would love to see "your process" on body-table restoration.  :-+

But only if it doesn't take time away from what's really important.

mnem
*packing-ily*

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf