Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14554899 times)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #10825 on: May 18, 2018, 05:46:44 pm »
These are 100% works or doesn't work instruments.

Not entirely. The resistance ranges can be knackered with the rest working fine. I don't know why, in principle there's nothing obviously wrong with the designs, but HP always had problems with the current sources on resistance ranges. If you've an HP34xx and everything's working perfectly except resistance then it's always the current sources. It's a stock fault for HP meters.

Fair point but those are usually massive errors and these meters checked out close to spec before sending off for cal.

Edit: plus they had recently expired Keysight own calibration stickers all over them.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 05:48:58 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10826 on: May 18, 2018, 06:03:41 pm »
Yep. Divs.

It's not even analogue to cal it. You just:

1. turn the switch
2. stick it in the range you want to cal
3. short it.
4. press the cal button
5. apply 1/3rd scale (not even required on all ranges)
6. adjust the display to the calibration voltage if you need to.
7. press cal.
8. goto 2.

Eventually when you've done them all it'll start up with SELF TEST OK  :-//

If it's reading low, it's basically a Y=MX+C transform where M and C are calibration variables. So someone put the wrong fucking M or C in.

When I did mine I did it with a PSU and connected the U1241 in series (current) or parallel (voltage) to it. Resistance I used some 1% resistors and frigged the display value to match the U1241's interpretation of the value. The linearity is amazingly good so was spot on when I cranked it up near FSD.

That is my understanding of it as well, basically give it a known value and adjust the display by using the up and down arrow till the display reads the known value and press CAL which can mean holding the respective button in for a very long time to reach the desired reading, this is the reason why I did not decide to it myself using the method that you describe. I assumed that a proper calibration house would have short cuts to a way of dialing in the correct reading using the GPIB or something that we mere mortals do not have access to?

I must admit I have not RTM fully for that section but I assumed that the resistance would more or less fall into place once the DC voltage has been done as surely most meters are just reading the voltage drop across the load?

ACV does that have its own adjustment if so then that might be where I'd struggle if doing it myself as I don't have an accurate source voltage unless a variac is considered good enough.

I have the MS7221 coming early next week that will provide pretty reasonable DC voltage standards and also current unto 24mA so if all else fails I'll have a go myself  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10827 on: May 18, 2018, 06:05:46 pm »
It only requires one AC V I think. Was 3v. I used a function generator and connected U1241C in parallel.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10828 on: May 18, 2018, 06:10:36 pm »

Not entirely. The resistance ranges can be knackered with the rest working fine. I don't know why, in principle there's nothing obviously wrong with the designs, but HP always had problems with the current sources on resistance ranges. If you've an HP34xx and everything's working perfectly except resistance then it's always the current sources. It's a stock fault for HP meters.

Fair point but those are usually massive errors and these meters checked out close to spec before sending off for cal.

Edit: plus they had recently expired Keysight own calibration stickers all over them.
No mine didn't have those stickers on it as I removed them as part of the cleaning operation but is calibrated by Keysight in Jan 2016 same as yours and they were able to tell me that it was calibrated about 18 months ago. A 10K 1% resistor was reading 10,0014.3 \$\Omega\$ so yes its was just about spot on before the battery shorted out for a split second.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10829 on: May 18, 2018, 06:19:35 pm »
The fact that they were not instantly aware of the 3478A at the time of requesting a quote etc is now beginning to gnaw at me that they probably do not understand how to do it and either looking for manual adjustment pots or maybe the more modern meters are just a matter of plugging a source in and then telling it via a computer interface what the value of that source actually is and they weren't that far advanced when the 3478A's were made?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10830 on: May 18, 2018, 06:59:14 pm »
...and they weren't that far advanced when the 3478A's were made?

Yes they were. The remote calibration procedure is in the service manual.

The way most commercial cal labs process multimeters with a GPIB interface is just to hook them up to the calibrator with a set of leads, plug GPIB into a computer that drives both the calibrator and DMM, and press 'GO'. The computer identifies the DMM automatically over GPIB and then runs the whole process by 'magic'. You buy the software from your calibrator vendor. Fluke have MET/CAL, Wavetek/Datron used to have something similar and so on.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10831 on: May 18, 2018, 07:01:57 pm »

The way most commercial cal labs process multimeters with a GPIB interface is just to hook them up to the calibrator with a set of leads, plug GPIB into a computer that drives both the calibrator and DMM, and press 'GO'. The computer identifies the DMM automatically over GPIB and then runs the whole process by 'magic'. You buy the software from your calibrator vendor. Fluke have MET/CAL, Wavetek/Datron used to have something similar and so on.
So which software should RS be using for the 3478 then, thats the question or could they be trying to wing it?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #10832 on: May 18, 2018, 07:06:39 pm »
The fact that they were not instantly aware of the 3478A at the time of requesting a quote etc is now beginning to gnaw at me that they probably do not understand how to do it and either looking for manual adjustment pots or maybe the more modern meters are just a matter of plugging a source in and then telling it via a computer interface what the value of that source actually is and they weren't that far advanced when the 3478A's were made?

Wow, that cal lab sounds like a bunch of flunkies.  :-- Sorry to hear you about your troubles. I would pursue getting some sort of refund but that might be a lost cause.

Update on the old beast. I keep making steady progress. Both channel 1 and 2 attenuator decks were FUBAR. Channel 1 responded perfectly to the Dexoit. The DMM is functional but needs a cal. Channel 2 still goes ape shit on .2V range and lower. Having one functional channel is definitely an advantage so I just have to compare readings. I'm sure I'll track it down. Hopefully that will be the last issue and then I can check the scope's overall calibration and button it up.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10833 on: May 18, 2018, 07:13:23 pm »

So which software should RS be using for the 3478 then, thats the question or could they be trying to wing it?

Generally things like MET/CAL have built in libraries of cal procedures for a selection of (generally more popular) instruments and a scripting language that you can use to add your own procedures for other instruments. You can see the list of built in procedures for MET/CAL at https://assets.fluke.com/metcalproc/html/procedure_list.html and, spoiler alert, the HP 3478A cal procedures are included for the Fluke 5520, 5700, and 5725 calibrators.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #10834 on: May 18, 2018, 07:16:28 pm »
Forgot to add. In case you've not seen what the DM44 option looks like. And here's an oddity....it doesn't have the capability to measure AC volts. I wonder why Tek did that?  :-//

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10835 on: May 18, 2018, 07:28:10 pm »
Maybe they thought that the likelihood of using it to measure AC volts was a slim on in electronics that normally uses DC and thus left AC measurements upto the scope itself?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 07:30:04 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10836 on: May 18, 2018, 07:35:19 pm »

So.... if someone had just pulled the trigger on a 3455A that isn't working on the resistance ranges they wouldn't have just shot themselves in the foot, then?  :phew:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10837 on: May 18, 2018, 08:01:16 pm »
OT, I'm going to an evening air show tomorrow, is anyone interested in more aviation photos from it, I don't want wear anyone's patience by posting them here if they are not welcomed, it is after all an electronics forum  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, nixiefreqq

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #10838 on: May 18, 2018, 08:03:57 pm »
OT, I'm going to an evening air show tomorrow, is anyone interested in more aviation photos from it, I don't want wear anyone's patience by posting them here if they are not welcomed, it is after all an electronics forum  :-+

Yes, I'm interested.  :-+

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10839 on: May 18, 2018, 08:07:25 pm »

My guess would be that was produced by Pye Telecommunications in the 40s and later; evidently they enjoyed some significant popularity as mobile radio providers for police and military during and after the war. They even made some of the early RADAR receivers used in wartime according to the wiki.

Yes that's exactly what Pye used to do besides a few domestic radios and TVs. I lived in Haverhill for a time many years ago and they had a factory there solely making the Police radios. My ex worked there till they closed it down and I believe they relocated to Cambridge.

Rather W.G.Pye, as I remember the name. I even found a picture of the monster on the net!

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10840 on: May 18, 2018, 08:11:27 pm »

So.... if someone had just pulled the trigger on a 3455A that isn't working on the resistance ranges they wouldn't have just shot themselves in the foot, then?  :phew:

I wouldn't panic, they usually easily fixed as long as it isn't something dead inside a hybrid, and those faults are rare and often hit more than one thing. As it is, I *think* that the 3455 has only standard components in it. The only gotcha on the older meters is that if you've got a dead transistor that's only listed under an HP part number you can have fun figuring out what to replace it with.

The following users thanked this post: GerryBags

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #10841 on: May 18, 2018, 08:38:55 pm »
I wouldn't panic, they usually easily fixed as long as it isn't something dead inside a hybrid, and those faults are rare and often hit more than one thing. As it is, I *think* that the 3455 has only standard components in it. The only gotcha on the older meters is that if you've got a dead transistor that's only listed under an HP part number you can have fun figuring out what to replace it with.

Aren't there cross reference lists for HP transistors? I've been very successful in finding cross references for Tek transistor part numbers.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10843 on: May 18, 2018, 08:55:53 pm »

Me, too. Even the old 'planes had some kind of electronics in them, so it counts in my book.

Thanks, Cerebus. I have the HP eqv. part list saved....somewhere. Downloaded from here.... somewhere. Aha! cheers, bd139, I'll save it in a few more places on my computer, just in case. I've downloaded the manual, but I've seen a paper copy for sale that I might grab. The scans are too low-res to see the numbers properly in the pdf and I find physical schematics much nice to work with.

I must remember NOT to send it to RS for a cal. It's hard to believe that nobody in that cal lab had the gumption to look the bloody thing up on online, even if they couldn't call up someone who'd know. You must be pretty miffed, Specmaster.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10844 on: May 18, 2018, 10:25:59 pm »

Aren't there cross reference lists for HP transistors? I've been very successful in finding cross references for Tek transistor part numbers.

Yes, but they're not as comprehensive as I'd like. Case in point, the JFETs used on the 3458A aren't all decoded yet. There's still thousands of parts on the list though, lest I sound too damning. The usual file name for this is hp_xref-<varies>.pdf.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10845 on: May 18, 2018, 10:49:22 pm »

I must remember NOT to send it to RS for a cal. It's hard to believe that nobody in that cal lab had the gumption to look the bloody thing up on online, even if they couldn't call up someone who'd know. You must be pretty miffed, Specmaster.
That's one way of putting it. I really don't understand either when their web site states 5 working days, door to door that nobody could pick up the bloody phone or even send me an email about the problems they were having when they had both phone number and email address, that in my book ranks as sheer arrogance and not caring about the customer. :rant:

Edit It kind of makes you think that they somehow managed to completely screw it up and they are looking for an excuse to get out of a tight spot cheaply.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 11:24:01 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #10846 on: May 19, 2018, 12:02:40 am »
Or maybe they weren't smart enough to know it came to them with the Cal data erased, and they thought they must've broken something when they couldn't get it close... and it snowballed from there.   :-BROKE

mnem
I can hear their techs reciting the "shit litany" from all the way over here...   :bullshit:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #10847 on: May 19, 2018, 01:58:19 am »
Forgot to add. In case you've not seen what the DM44 option looks like. And here's an oddity....it doesn't have the capability to measure AC volts. I wonder why Tek did that?  :-//

Thanks, med. I hadn't seen inside one before.

Can't measure AC? That is odd. Do they figure that reading it off the screen is good enough?
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #10848 on: May 19, 2018, 02:02:27 am »

Me, too. Even the old 'planes had some kind of electronics in them, so it counts in my book.

We waver off topic from time to time. As long as it doesn't derail the thread (i.e., doesn't go on and on and on), I don't have an issue with it. Of course, since I like pics of planes and Spec takes great ones, I'm a bit biased. :P
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: GerryBags

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #10849 on: May 19, 2018, 02:36:50 am »
I just found footage of Specmaster's DMM being processed.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf