Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14555528 times)

djadeski, Vince, duckduck and 32 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #10850 on: May 19, 2018, 02:51:27 am »
I think my recently arrived 8" plasma ball has been there too  :--

Wonder what purpose the high voltage end of it could be used for  >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10851 on: May 19, 2018, 07:25:41 am »
I just found footage of Specmaster's DMM being processed.

So that's why the readings are scrambled! 🤣

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10852 on: May 19, 2018, 09:29:02 am »
OT, I'm going to an evening air show tomorrow, is anyone interested in more aviation photos from it, I don't want wear anyone's patience by posting them here if they are not welcomed, it is after all an electronics forum  :-+

Yes, I'm interested.  :-+

Me, too. Even the old 'planes had some kind of electronics in them, so it counts in my book.

We waver off topic from time to time. As long as it doesn't derail the thread (i.e., doesn't go on and on and on), I don't have an issue with it. Of course, since I like pics of planes and Spec takes great ones, I'm a bit biased. :P
Well today, I'm hopeful of getting some pics of a newly restored Spitfire doing its first public display after getting its certificate of air worthiness and also display clearance, its been many years in restoration and will be the latest addition to the collect at Old Warden collection. 
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10853 on: May 19, 2018, 11:01:04 am »
Sounds more interesting than my day: gardening! :(

SWMBO was not amused when I showed her a concrete web site :D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #10854 on: May 19, 2018, 11:42:09 am »

One must be "Keeping Up Appearances" with the traditional English garden.  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10855 on: May 19, 2018, 11:50:34 am »
hahahaha  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #10856 on: May 19, 2018, 12:17:22 pm »

One must be "Keeping Up Appearances" with the traditional English garden.  :P :-DD

What is this garr-duh-ninng of which you speak?   :-DD

I was raised on a farm; we didn't even mow the front yard until the grass was tall enough to tedd it and bale it up. My "lawn mower" was a Case 380 diesel tractor (David Brown 885 for you biscuits & tea folk) and an 8-foot Bush Hog. The notion of cultivating plants for fun is as alien to me as supply-side economics.  :P

I tend to stick to this ethic even as I've moved to the suburbs; well, right up to the point at which the Home-pwners Ass-holciation sends someone to complain. Then a proud demonstration of power sharpening, chopping and digging tools presented with a couple "Long-Island Iced Teas" makes short work of said complaints until I get around to hacking the verge down again.   ;)

mnem
It takes considerable skill to make showing off a pressure washer feel menacing; one I've polished over many years.  >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10857 on: May 19, 2018, 12:36:31 pm »

One must be "Keeping Up Appearances" with the traditional English garden.  [emoji14] :-DD

I was raised on a farm; we didn't even mow the front yard until the grass was tall enough to tedd it and bale it up. My "lawn mower" was a Case 380 diesel tractor (David Brown 885 for you biscuits & tea folk) and an 8-foot Bush Hog. The notion of cultivating plants for fun is as alien to me as supply-side economics.  [emoji14]

I tend to stick to this ethic even as I've moved to the suburbs; well, right up to the point at which the Home-pwners Ass-holciation sends someone to complain. Then a proud demonstration of power sharpening, chopping and digging tools presented with a couple "Long-Island Iced Teas" makes short work of said complaints until I get around to hacking the verge down again.   ;)

mnem
It takes considerable skill to make showing off a pressure washer feel menacing; one I've polished over many years.  >:D
Haha, my pressure washer is buried somewhere in the garage, can't remember the last time I used it even. Ought to get it out and use it to wash car with, much cheaper then local car wash @£11 a pop[emoji3]

Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10858 on: May 19, 2018, 12:41:20 pm »

I feel for you having conform to convention, I'm sitting here in glorious sunshine chomping on sandwich watching planes come and go and not a lawn mower in sight 🤣🤣

Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10859 on: May 19, 2018, 01:18:13 pm »

I was raised on a farm; we didn't even mow the front yard until the grass was tall enough to tedd it and bale it up. My "lawn mower" was a Case 380 diesel tractor (David Brown 885 for you biscuits & tea folk) and an 8-foot Bush Hog. The notion of cultivating plants for fun is as alien to me as supply-side economics.  [emoji14]

mnem
Haha, my pressure washer is buried somewhere in the garage, can't remember the last time I used it even. Ought to get it out and use it to wash car with, much cheaper then local car wash @£11 a pop[emoji3]

Oh, I love my pressure washer.  ;D With the right mix of bleach and detergent, it gets everything clean; bird poop, mud, dirt, blood, vermin guts... whatever might wind on the driveway any time of day or darkest night. I keep it handy right next to the BBQ grill and digging tools.  >:D

mnem
Did I say that out loud?
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10860 on: May 19, 2018, 01:27:37 pm »

I just found footage of Specmaster's DMM being processed.

I think my recently arrived 8" plasma ball has been there too  :--

Wonder what purpose the high voltage end of it could be used for  >:D

I'm certain that properly applied, it could be highly educational.  :-DD

mnem
Did I say that out loud too? Dammit...!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 01:30:06 pm by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10861 on: May 19, 2018, 01:31:08 pm »
Finally got my hands on a Telequipment D83. Well actually a good one, a dead one, some parts and a calibration fixture. Arranging collection now. Means I have to drive to Specmaster country  ;D

SWMBO not amused lol  :-DD

I feel for you having conform to convention, I'm sitting here in glorious sunshine chomping on sandwich watching planes come and go and not a lawn mower in sight 🤣🤣

Glorious sunshine here. The only flying machine around here was eyeing up the things I dug up!

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 01:40:11 pm by bd139 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10862 on: May 19, 2018, 01:38:20 pm »

[img width=100 or some similar number]http://img url[/img] is your frey-unnnd.  ;)

Please; think of the poor overworked pixels.  :P

mnem
Ahhh! My eyes!!!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 01:41:56 pm by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10863 on: May 19, 2018, 01:41:11 pm »
Fixed ;)

Never read the instructions for bbcode which is silly really as I was a vbulletin admin on a huge site for a while :)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10864 on: May 19, 2018, 01:48:25 pm »
We all thank you...

I don't do much bbcode, but I do try to limit my own personal posting of pixel pollution with that one. It's too easy; once you've wrapped your [URL] using the [insert image] button, just add width=x and you're there.

Just out of curiosity... what breed of feathered friend is it? Garden variety robin or something else? Guugle thinks it's a brown-headed cowbird, but all the images I found with that label look much different.

Cheers,

mnem
Can I take off my sunglasses now?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 01:54:20 pm by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10865 on: May 19, 2018, 01:51:49 pm »
To be fair that one has been annoying me as well. I shall do this in future.

Back on TEA. I find it terribly annoying when you win an auction, drop the seller a message and then bugger all happens for ages :(

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10866 on: May 19, 2018, 01:55:57 pm »

Next time, show 'er an abstract one. [:rimshot:]

Thank you ladies and gentlemen, I'm here all week...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10867 on: May 19, 2018, 01:59:41 pm »
To be fair that one has been annoying me as well. I shall do this in future.

Back on TEA. I find it terribly annoying when you win an auction, drop the seller a message and then bugger all happens for ages :(

Did you pay immediately? That tends to improve most sellers' response time; unless of course your message is regarding something that's holding up payment, like combined or international shipping.

I've found that often seems to encourage them to ignore you in hopes you'll go away and they can resell to someone who's slightly less troublesome.  :-\

Especially if you bought an item at a substantially bargain price.  >:(

mnem
Veteran of a thousand psychic wars eBay transactions...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 02:01:23 pm by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10868 on: May 19, 2018, 02:07:47 pm »
It was the inevitable "when can I give you money and take this crap away, preferably this evening" email.

Here's what I got. Multiplier is toast on the second one but there's the horizontal calibration fixture in there which is rare as hen's teeth. I know someone who I can pry a vertical one off (and possibly another mainframe) :D

Same tube as the Tek 7603 but rest is lower spec 50MHz mainframes. They do have some interesting features and are much sharper than the 7603s are. Also no custom ICs at all.

Horizontal has sweep out on the front which is going in the front of my SA VCO.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 02:10:45 pm by bd139 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10869 on: May 19, 2018, 02:36:36 pm »
  It was the inevitable "when can I give you money and take this crap away, preferably this evening" email.

Here's what I got. Multiplier is toast on the second one but there's the horizontal calibration fixture in there which is rare as hen's teeth. I know someone who I can pry a vertical one off (and possibly another mainframe) :D

Same tube as the Tek 7603 but rest is lower spec 50MHz mainframes. They do have some interesting features and are much sharper than the 7603s are. Also no custom ICs at all.

I think you answered your own question... seller found out the fixture isn't just random junk.  ::)

mnem
Sufficiently advanced satire is indistinguishable from reality.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10870 on: May 19, 2018, 02:55:13 pm »

I think you answered your own question... seller found out the fixture isn't just random junk.  ::)

mnem
Sufficiently advanced satire is indistinguishable from reality.
No it was more likely to be something to do with the wedding, shopping or of course the collection was clashing with football match [emoji16]

Who let Murphy in?

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10871 on: May 19, 2018, 02:58:24 pm »

I was raised on a farm; we didn't even mow the front yard until the grass was tall enough to tedd it and bale it up. My "lawn mower" was a Case 380 diesel tractor (David Brown 885 for you biscuits & tea folk) and an 8-foot Bush Hog. The notion of cultivating plants for fun is as alien to me as supply-side economics.  :P

mnem
Vegetation control by Le Tourneau!
Next best thing to Blastmowing(tm).

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 03:05:14 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10872 on: May 19, 2018, 03:06:59 pm »
I want one. Would work wonders in the supermarket car park.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
Heads-Up: Zombie Radio Shack Back for Another Bite!
« Reply #10873 on: May 19, 2018, 03:15:26 pm »
That's right, boyzz and ghoulzz... just when you thought they'd FINALLY driven a stake through its crusty dust-filled heart, the undead creature that is Radio Shack returns yet AGAIN with a Clearance Sale eMail!

Free shipping for orders $19 & up!

Highlights: All sorts of adapters for cheap; including BNC, SMA and PL-259 couplers, some cheap 4K HDMI cables, and decent high-capacity NiMH batteries (if they're still made by SAFT) semi-cheap, including a CR-V3 Rechargeable for $4 for you die-hard photography buffs. Hopefully they won't be so old they can't hold a charge.

You can scavenge off the corpse of Tandy here. They have no shame; why should you?

mnem
"Sometimes you have to look at life like a dog does; if you can't eat or hump it, piss on it and walk away."

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10874 on: May 19, 2018, 03:21:39 pm »

Vegetation control by Le Tourneau!

Next best thing to Blastmowing(tm).

So... it's essentially a diesel-powered self-propelled boulder then?  :o

mnem
"Well, all the rock giants were off fighting in the highlands..."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf