Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14554714 times)

ch_scr, Wolfgang, BrianInTexas and 26 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #10875 on: May 19, 2018, 03:25:46 pm »
That's right, boyzz and ghoulzz... just when you thought they'd FINALLY driven a stake through its crusty dust-filled heart, the undead creature that is Radio Shack returns yet AGAIN with a Clearance Sale eMail!

Free shipping for orders $19 & up!

Highlights: All sorts of adapters for cheap; including BNC, SMA and PL-259 couplers, some cheap 4K HDMI cables, and decent high-capacity NiMH batteries (if they're still made by SAFT) semi-cheap, including a CR-V3 Rechargeable for $4 for you die-hard photography buffs. Hopefully they won't be so old they can't hold a charge.

You can scavenge off the corpse of Tandy here. They have no shame; why should you?

mnem
"Sometimes you have to look at life like a dog does; if you can't eat or hump it, piss on it and walk away."
There are people who do think like dogs and do all of those things [emoji41]

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #10876 on: May 19, 2018, 04:50:25 pm »
I want one. Would work wonders in the supermarket car park.

I didn't have a camera on me, but yesterday my local mini-supermarket had a tractor parked outside. The wheels were, IIRC, around 6ft in diameter and 2ft wide.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10877 on: May 19, 2018, 06:14:22 pm »

I didn't have a camera on me, but yesterday my local mini-supermarket had a tractor parked outside. The wheels were, IIRC, around 6ft in diameter and 2ft wide.

Ideal squishing humans sized :)

I have a car full of D83s at the moment - woot :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10878 on: May 19, 2018, 06:23:29 pm »

Safe trip to my neck of the woods then, looking forward to seeing them working.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #10879 on: May 19, 2018, 07:09:20 pm »

Bigger than that: squishing cars sprang to my mind. Remember Kenny Everett parking his tank?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10880 on: May 19, 2018, 07:28:46 pm »

Bigger than that: squishing cars sprang to my mind. Remember Kenny Everett parking his tank?
All done in the best possible taste🤣

Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #10881 on: May 19, 2018, 07:44:28 pm »

mnem
'nuff sed.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #10882 on: May 19, 2018, 08:18:33 pm »
:-+
And just what is this calibration fixture you speak of ?  :-//

The multiplier is no big deal as there's a good thread here I'll dig out for you if you want to roll your own.
IIRC it was for a 465 which might only be 4 stages but another can be stitched on easily for a D83.
Is the 2nd unit is otherwise complete ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10883 on: May 19, 2018, 08:20:29 pm »

mnem
'nuff sed.
Nice, low bridges, power lines and parking buildings will be a hazard.  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline xmo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10884 on: May 19, 2018, 08:22:32 pm »
Test Equipment Anonymous group therapy?  This whole thread is a sham!

It's like you walk up to a door that has an "AA" sign on it but when you open it and go inside the first guy you see is Sam Malone.

And everybody knows your name.

Thankfully, I don't have a problem and I don't need any help.

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
« Reply #10885 on: May 19, 2018, 08:36:15 pm »
Just out of curiosity... what breed of feathered friend is it? Garden variety robin or something else?
Looks like a European robin to me.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10886 on: May 19, 2018, 08:43:51 pm »

The multiplier is no big deal as there's a good thread here I'll dig out for you if you want to roll your own.
IIRC it was for a 465 which might only be 4 stages but another can be stitched on easily for a D83.

Well got everything home. The main D83 seems to work although the HT starts whining after a couple of minutes and the filter caps are running stupid hot. Also some issues with channel 1 attenuator.  Second one I haven’t even cracked open yet. Lots of fixing fun to do.

Calibration fixture is a “raw” input plugin for the horizontal amp. Basically it just has a BNC and buffer that allows you to deliver a signal to the X amp directly.

Second unit is in bits. Seems complete however. Someone has attempted to repair the Y amp with wire wound ballast resistors  :palm: but otherwise looks good. The multiplier is shot on it.

I’ve seen the 465 multiplier rebuild. Might have a bash at that. Will get some microwave oven diodes off aliexpress :D

Hours of fun ahead. Will post some photos later if I get a few minutes.

Honestly I’m going to have to rebuild one of these from scratch by the looks and QA each board properly. Might take a while. It’s the learning that’s interesting though :)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10887 on: May 19, 2018, 08:48:21 pm »
Quick picture. Note the replaced labels (the other plugin fascia is better so I will swap it) and the replacement timebase knob someone made (I have someone who will send me a real one).

Original capacitors. Nice sharp trace.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10888 on: May 19, 2018, 08:55:28 pm »

Well got everything home. The main D83 seems to work although the HT starts whining after a couple of minutes and the filter caps are running stupid hot. Also some issues with channel 1 attenuator.  Second one I haven’t even cracked open yet. Lots of fixing fun to do.
Yeah they're pretty easy to work on thankfully.

Calibration fixture is a “raw” input plugin for the horizontal amp. Basically it just has a BNC and buffer that allows you to deliver a signal to the X amp directly.
Never seen or hear of one.....but it's been a while since I had or studied a D83 manual.

I’ve seen the 465 multiplier rebuild. Might have a bash at that. Will get some microwave oven diodes off aliexpress :D
IIRC you'd just use the same spec as those in the DC restorer and I think I got some from RS....I did and just looked.....629-8691 = GP02-40 = 4KV 250mA

Hours of fun ahead. Will post some photos later if I get a few minutes.
Honestly I’m going to have to rebuild one of these from scratch by the looks and QA each board properly. Might take a while. It’s the learning that’s interesting though :)
Looking forward to them but maybe it's worthy of their own thread.......for mums sake.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10889 on: May 19, 2018, 08:59:31 pm »
Quick picture. Note the replaced labels (the other plugin fascia is better so I will swap it) and the replacement timebase knob someone made (I have someone who will send me a real one).

That pic looks photo-schopped and the trace green  :-//, is it missing the blue CRT filter ?

Looks like she's served someone well as the labeling is worn completely away.  :o  :scared:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 09:02:08 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10890 on: May 19, 2018, 09:01:48 pm »
Test Equipment Anonymous group therapy?  This whole thread is a sham!

It's like you walk up to a door that has an "AA" sign on it but when you open it and go inside the first guy you see is Sam Malone.

And everybody knows your name.

Thankfully, I don't have a problem and I don't need any help.

You say that as if it were news. ;)

mnem
Colas to Newcastle, etc.  :P

PPS: That was actually a typo... but I liked it better.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10891 on: May 19, 2018, 09:04:57 pm »

That pic looks photo-schopped and the trace green  :-//, is it missing the blue CRT filter ?

Looks like she's served someone well as the labeling is worn completely away.  :o  :scared:

I was thinking that timebase selector was actually quite an inspired bit of fabricobble-ery. Gives the ol' girl some right outstanding character.  :clap:

mnem
*ploop*

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10892 on: May 19, 2018, 09:23:52 pm »
Ok HT on the working one is not happy at all. I’m going to rebuild the power supply and HT section from scratch before anything blows up.

The second unit is complete but in pieces. Has some really naff repairs done to it.

Filter isn’t missing just very faded. I’ve swapped it for the other one and it looks better now :)

Edit: Fixed the HT. spidey was doing the electric boogaloo behind the HT board.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 09:31:25 pm by bd139 »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10893 on: May 19, 2018, 09:43:26 pm »
Triggers and displays trace up to 85MHz without any hiccups. Bandwidth (3dB point) looks to be around 62Mhz which is above the 50Mhz quoted.  :-+

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10894 on: May 19, 2018, 10:05:27 pm »
The multiplier is shot on it.

So you don't have to go off hunting for it:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/tektronix-465/msg672083/#msg672083

Grapsus used 12KV diodes but it's all in that thread ^
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10895 on: May 19, 2018, 10:09:32 pm »
Thanks for the link. It's whining again but not arcing now so this is a given that I'm going to rip it all out. I needed a project :)

Apparently the HT transformers on these are usually good so that's a relief. Plan is to get the HT board for the other unit and rebuild it using modern parts then substitute that one in and a new multiplier. Also rebuild the shot one's power supply and stuff that in the good one. Least risk all around then.

Easy to get to all the boards in these unlike some tek equipment! :(

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10896 on: May 19, 2018, 10:43:01 pm »
Thanks for the link. It's whining again but not arcing now so this is a given that I'm going to rip it all out. I needed a project :)
All the high value resistors in the EHT circuitry had drifted like hell in the D83 I had and the HV ceramics in the DC restorer were sick too. They more than anything else really cleaned up the traces and made them needle sharp.  :)
IIRC some of the HV axial caps were sus too but you probably know all that about these.

Apparently the HT transformers on these are usually good so that's a relief.
Sadly the copied manual I got from the UK had all the measurements handwritten in for the transformer, R's & L's but that copy went with it when I sold it.  :(
The copies online aren't from the same source but the crowd I got it from are still around as I stumbled upon them again just the other day. You'd only need the mainframe manual from them to get those measurements and IIRC it was still the same price I paid yonks ago ~10 quid.
I'll hunt them out if you like .......if I can bloody well remember their name.  :palm:

I think it was Telford:
http://www.telford-electronics.co.uk/index.php

You can probably ask them to check....the transformer measurements were written in/on the schematics for the EHT supply.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 10:59:48 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10897 on: May 19, 2018, 11:12:17 pm »
Yes this has the original caps in it. They are rotten old bits of crap. Flat ceramics, speckled and cracked and film ones which look cracked too. Will be replaced. I've priced a few up and they're not that expensive fortunately. Will order next week once I've checked it over properly. You can apparently get a suitable equivalent multiplier from a company called High Voltage Modules in Braintree here in the UK. I'll give them a call.

Thanks for the link. I've got a spare HT transformer now in the other scope so I might unwind and count it out.

Have just ordered power supply caps. Cost a whopping £5 from RS so far. Embarrassingly small compared to the originals!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10898 on: May 19, 2018, 11:13:13 pm »

Apparently the HT transformers on these are usually good so that's a relief. Plan is to get the HT board for the other unit and rebuild it using modern parts then substitute that one in and a new multiplier. Also rebuild the shot one's power supply and stuff that in the good one. Least risk all around then.

Easy to get to all the boards in these unlike some tek equipment! :(

I did that same job on my Tek 2230 a decade ago; then replaced the HV multiplier flyback again this last time I worked on it. Altogether a right crunky affair; I get that the whole mess allowed them to run the beam at lower current, therefore better response and sharper focus at higher frequency... but damn. It's one of those designs that just seems to taunt Murphy.

And worse yet, they "inspired" the designers of your scope to follow in the same ill-advised foosteps...

mnem
Not a fan. Not a grommet, either.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 11:18:34 pm by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10899 on: May 19, 2018, 11:14:13 pm »
Essex to the rescue again
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf