Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14787005 times)

wkb, BrianInTexas, Robert763 and 233 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #11050 on: May 22, 2018, 09:07:17 am »
Cheap time-nuttery here: https://time.is/

I've become a time nut because FT8 amateur radio protocol needs very accurate timing as it's synchronised world-wide.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11051 on: May 22, 2018, 09:39:26 am »
Haha, that proves that my internet speed is fast then, using your synchronized time it states that my internet derived time is actually 2.4 seconds fast, so my internet hasn't got lag, its leading the time  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11052 on: May 22, 2018, 10:33:24 am »
well no in that case it corrects for it. It knows the remote time, measure the round trip time and then compares the local and remote times with the local time adjusted.

Mine is 20ms out. Windows time client sucks :)

It will say "your time is exact!" if it is :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11053 on: May 22, 2018, 10:42:10 am »
Arh well, I reckon mine is a time machine and Doc Brown set the co-ordinates wrong  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11054 on: May 22, 2018, 10:43:44 am »
I would blame it on time dilation because it's so fast :)

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11055 on: May 22, 2018, 11:49:29 am »
That there box behind your head looks to be the sort in which seven segment displays made from sand reside, too...  Just sayin'.   ;)

-Pat

oooooops.   ya' caught me again.  hp 3466. 

my excuse is........ it has a 12v lead acid battery and is good for jobs in the field.

will be careful to pixelate non nixie units in the future lest you change my name to "7segmentfreq".

am watching an old cop show from the 80's on utube.  its called "the bill".  strange show.  they wear unusual uniforms, drive little clown cars, and never seem to get down to the job of slinging lead.  never saw philly cops behave like this back in the day.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 11:53:51 am by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11056 on: May 22, 2018, 11:53:16 am »
That there box behind your head looks to be the sort in which seven segment displays made from sand reside, too...  Just sayin'.   ;)

-Pat

my excuse is........ it has a 12v lead acid battery and is good for jobs in the field.

will be careful to pixelate non nixie units in the future lest you change my name to "7segmentfreq".

am watching an old cop show from the 80's on utube.  its called "the bill".  strange show.  they wear unusual uniforms, drive little clown cars, and never seem to get down to the job of slinging lead.  never saw philly cops behave like this back in the day.

back in the day.
Nothing wrong with 3466,s I have 2 of them very nice units and still glow red like a nixie[emoji16]

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11057 on: May 22, 2018, 01:14:10 pm »
Did some surgery this lunch time. Got the old capacitors out of that D83. Interestingly and in relation to the other day, they were made by Pye!

Also amazing how small caps are now compared to the originals. The 2200u ones are 63v instead of 40v as well as that was a bit tight.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11058 on: May 22, 2018, 01:35:07 pm »
Did some surgery this lunch time. Got the old capacitors out of that D83. Interestingly and in relation to the other day, they were made by Pye!

Also amazing how small caps are now compared to the originals. The 2200u ones are 63v instead of 40v as well as that was a bit tight.

They don't look to bad either, have you done any tests on them to see what they read at all?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11059 on: May 22, 2018, 01:39:35 pm »
They're all reading good capacitance-wise. The 330uF one has puked out of its arse a bit and one of the 2200uF ones is reading a whopping 20mA of leakage (compared to uA for the others). Bin!

I might take them outside and stuff them across the mains and see what happens.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11060 on: May 22, 2018, 01:41:33 pm »
How do you guys manage to store all those devices ? I was pilling everything up on my bench but I just ran out of space.

I spent some time this weekend adding a (reinforced) shelf under my bench. Hopefully, I should be able to but some boat anchor over there. And since I had some woods left I built a completely new bench  :)

Side note: I love the "make a offer" option on ebay. I scored a Lambda LLS6120 power supply for 15$  :)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #11061 on: May 22, 2018, 02:08:18 pm »
I'm sure there was a more flatting [Flattering? Flattening?] pic of you a few pages back.  :P

The next generation is exactly what we make them and with pride I've watched my middle son take on a family of 3 boys and then produce a step sister for them.(pic a few posts back) How that lad has influenced those kids is amazing given he's just turned 30. He's a country boy like you mnementh but living in suburbia and drags the whole family bush whenever he can to show them the 'other side'. Sadly he resides with them all in WA now but has learnt about the things that bite and sting over there.  :scared:

Not likely... I'm as overweight as I've ever been, and every birthday makes the battle harder and harder; the pic of me in my HP blue is almost 20 years old. I have nobody to blame but myself; cycles of back injury and depression that followed my mother's passing from cancer are the crutch I cling to for the sake of my own ego. But every time I fall off the diet, I climb back on. Eventually I'll make it the lifestyle change it needs to be.

The one thing I feel I've done right with my kids is to raise them without broadcast TV or radio; we still have TV and music, but via streaming and iPod WITHOUT the constant barrage of commercials. I want them to grow up with some common sense about them; I want them to consider it to be abnormal to be constantly bludgeoned with advertising from every quadrant, because it IS abnormal, and it is unhealthy. In our family, TV watching and internet are an adult supervised activity, and we have "Nothing with a screen time" all afternoon until dinnertime, every day. The kids have to read, play with actual toys or, horror of horrors, play with EACH OTHER for a few hours every day.  ;)

I'm not physically fit enough for the whole outdoors thing anymore... especially not here in Texas where I can't even breathe 9 months out of the year. But I AM working on it.

The hard part is my daughter; she is high-functioning autistic/GDD. She requires so much extra attention to keep safe and healthy from day to day that the poor boy is just frustrated as hell on a fundamental level. Bless his heart; he's just like me. No seriously; it's like they went back in time and cloned me when I was 8. A carbon copy as far as looks, and every bit as much the wiseass I was at his age. And also running on 110% ego, just like me. :-DD  And a kind, compassionate and passionate soul, just like me. But oh, the DRAMA.  :palm:

mnem
One day at a time. 28 hours a day.

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11062 on: May 22, 2018, 02:17:49 pm »
  Not sure this forum is ready for my mug shot  :o

Maybe not up to the standards (or presence) of the Cambridge Decade Box but works a treat and is well inside .1% across the range. Labels needed now.

Very nice, tidy work. I like the details, like color coded heat-shrink on the longer rails.  :-+

Gonna line the inside with foil tape to go with that [SHLD] lug?

mnem
Mornings are not for wussies.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11063 on: May 22, 2018, 02:19:42 pm »
How do you guys manage to store all those devices ? I was pilling everything up on my bench but I just ran out of space.

I spent some time this weekend adding a (reinforced) shelf under my bench. Hopefully, I should be able to but some boat anchor over there. And since I had some woods left I built a completely new bench  :)

Side note: I love the "make a offer" option on ebay. I scored a Lambda LLS6120 power supply for 15$  :)
I think the trick is to try and recycle the older or less useful items as you find better more capable items unless you have tons of space..
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11064 on: May 22, 2018, 02:19:59 pm »
They're all reading good capacitance-wise. The 330uF one has puked out of its arse a bit and one of the 2200uF ones is reading a whopping 20mA of leakage (compared to uA for the others). Bin!

I might take them outside and stuff them across the mains and see what happens.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em!  :-DD

mnem
I suddenly feel very, very old.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11065 on: May 22, 2018, 03:18:52 pm »
I think the trick is to try and recycle the older or less useful items as you find better more capable items unless you have tons of space..

Yeah I will probably try to sell some stuff on ebay.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #11066 on: May 22, 2018, 04:59:19 pm »
A donation of stuff was made to my ham radio club from which I purchased a working Fluke 8500A, supposedly without any options for the princely sum of $5.00, just to help the club out.  I am working out how to pick it up.  If it truly has no options in it, anyone have an ohms converter from a parts mule they might want to sell for cheap?  I am not even sure yet where it will go as my shelves are only 14" deep. :-DMM
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11067 on: May 22, 2018, 05:06:04 pm »
Wow... now THAT is some serious TEA.  :-DD

mnem
Needs more creamer...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11068 on: May 22, 2018, 05:19:08 pm »
A donation of stuff was made to my ham radio club from which I purchased a working Fluke 8500A, supposedly without any options for the princely sum of $5.00, just to help the club out.  I am working out how to pick it up.  If it truly has no options in it, anyone have an ohms converter from a parts mule they might want to sell for cheap?  I am not even sure yet where it will go as my shelves are only 14" deep. :-DMM
That's a big old beast, I have the same issue with my Fluke 8505A which is up for sale as my boat no longer needs an anchor and it has all the options but its in the UK sadly.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11069 on: May 22, 2018, 06:35:45 pm »

-Pat

There are battery powered nixie multimeters out there, I have an AVO one here which is thankfully missing the nickel-crudmium batteries (which would have probably ruined it if they were still there). I can't imagine how poor the battery life would have been as I haven't got the manual.

David

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11070 on: May 22, 2018, 06:39:02 pm »

Hmmm... dunno if this site has been linked to here before, but I just stumbled across them this morning: https://www.torontosurplus.com/

I haven't seen any "swap meet" prices there, but might be useful for gauging an item's value "in the real world".

Cheers,

mnem
*Feeling totally "Captain Crunk" today*

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #11071 on: May 22, 2018, 07:26:01 pm »
OK it's not TEA related in any way, but I just dipped my toe into the world of quads with the acquisition of a small drone :) High chance of things going badly first time out (given previous experience with RC stuff) so I took out insurance in case it goes AWOL or swimming etc. It has a good camera on it offering 4K x 60fps so hope to get some nice aerial shots around the Peak District/Lake District.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11072 on: May 22, 2018, 07:29:18 pm »
Looks good.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #11073 on: May 22, 2018, 07:52:07 pm »
Wow... now THAT is some serious TEA.  :-DD

mnem
Needs more creamer...

Nah, coffee here.  Iced with sugar free hazelnut creamer.  Have to watch the blood sugar. :popcorn:
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #11074 on: May 22, 2018, 08:20:39 pm »
OK it's not TEA related in any way, but I just dipped my toe into the world of quads with the acquisition of a small drone :) High chance of things going badly first time out (given previous experience with RC stuff) so I took out insurance in case it goes AWOL or swimming etc. It has a good camera on it offering 4K x 60fps so hope to get some nice aerial shots around the Peak District/Lake District.
They're a really nice little unit, my buddy next door has the one with the display on the controller and it's all housed in a fancy toughened carry case. He's a commercial foundation contractor and uses it to record his work for website and advertising work. The imagery is amazingly good. It shouldn't go AWOL if it has the GPS "return to base" feature. He thought he'd lost his by losing LOS contact but he recons a few minutes later it came flying back. Even when they get to battery low it knows just how much it needs to get back to base.
Real smart bits of kit.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: ChrisLX200

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf