Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14781899 times)

morris6, Jambalaya and 195 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #11075 on: May 22, 2018, 08:33:55 pm »
I think this drone is smarter than I am, and yes - in theory just punch the 'Go Home' button and it should come back. These things suffer from bad press here in the UK recently, what with idiots flying them near airports and using them to drop contraband items into prisons. Ah well, I'll be keeping well out the way of built-up areas :)

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11076 on: May 22, 2018, 08:50:59 pm »
wow!

wasted most of my middle age searching high and low for hp nixie equipment.

BUT it never occurred to me to use "nixie" and "battery powered" in the same sentence.

don't remember ever seeing anything battery powered AND nixie at work...…. or in a hamfest, yard sale, estate sale, dumpster, or refuse transfer station. 

they must be as rare as a tea member with self control.  who needed a digital display and portability that badly?  was it some kind of avionics application?

guess you live and learn!  thanks!

(and now someone will tell me that there are places where you can't swing a cat by the tail without knocking over a pile of battery powered nixie stuff.)

free range primate

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #11077 on: May 22, 2018, 09:00:03 pm »
I think this drone is smarter than I am, and yes - in theory just punch the 'Go Home' button and it should come back. These things suffer from bad press here in the UK recently, what with idiots flying them near airports and using them to drop contraband items into prisons. Ah well, I'll be keeping well out the way of built-up areas :)
He didn't even use the go home when he lost his, it just knew to return to the GPS location from where it was launched and when he got LOS again he reckoned he was too scared to let a paddle go to wipe his brow.  :-DD
He's got that good with it now he uses his car bonnet for launch and landings.  :o
The base station he uses is brilliant as it displays what it sees, TOF remaining and distance away.
He took it for a good spin out on my rural location up to ~400ft and many hundred yards from our location for a good snoop at what all the neighbors were up to.  >:D It's pretty hard to spot out past 500yds.
On that day it was blowing pretty hard but the GPS kept it all under control like there was no wind, pretty bloody cool !

Don't be tempted to fly it in a small area to start with, another neighbor that got a bigger quad for his pro camera coverage work couldn't get his head around flying away and back and the changes you need make on the controller (older guy with no gaming experience) ended up flying it into himself and trying to fend it off with his forearm.  :-DD
We wondered why he wore long sleeve shirts in the middle of summer until the full story came out.  >:D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11078 on: May 22, 2018, 09:42:13 pm »
I wonder if I can use one of those to drop revenge dog shit on the guy who lets his great dane carpet bomb the local area.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11079 on: May 22, 2018, 09:43:42 pm »
Great flying horny turds....Turds away....Turds Gone. :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11080 on: May 22, 2018, 09:53:25 pm »
So 5 minutes on youtube and I have discovered FPV drone racing. And there goes the rest of my money

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #11081 on: May 22, 2018, 10:09:29 pm »
I wonder if I can use one of those to drop revenge dog shit on the guy who lets his great dane carpet bomb the local area.

Yep, no problem :)  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meijunter-Payload-Release-Transport-Delivery/dp/B07CPSY1DV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527026870&sr=8-1&keywords=drone+payload+release

Quote: It can be used for outdoor fishing/ baiting, wedding party or any romantic moment(send a flower/ ring/ gift)

I guess your application would come under "gift"..
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:12:51 pm by ChrisLX200 »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11082 on: May 22, 2018, 10:11:25 pm »
Hahahahahahaha excellent :-DD

Or should I say mwuhahahahahaha  >:D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11083 on: May 22, 2018, 10:12:56 pm »
So 5 minutes on youtube and I have discovered FPV drone racing. And there goes the rest of my money

Watching that gives me a flipping headache, reminds me of when I used to play Doom on the PC.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #11084 on: May 22, 2018, 10:20:57 pm »

That's insane speeds :)   Would like a motorcycle-sized version that would carry me though...  >:D

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #11085 on: May 22, 2018, 11:11:35 pm »
All of my flying toys are more aerobatic  oriented;

112" Edge 540v3 with a 116cc twin 2stoke with tuned pipes.  Spins a 30" prop at 7,000RPM (tips go supersonic);

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #11086 on: May 22, 2018, 11:13:02 pm »
I think this was taken on the maiden flight, so I was flying a bit high;

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #11087 on: May 22, 2018, 11:14:37 pm »

That looks slow. Why not remove the pesky engines and go at up to 500mph.

That looks boring. Why not do it for real (and probably more cheaply), e.g. standard pre-solo manouevres "departing from controlled flight":

or in a plane I've been in:
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #11088 on: May 22, 2018, 11:29:21 pm »
Dynamic Soaring is a rush  >:D

My R/C fleet is Mainly Gliders but includes a bunch of Electrics including Heli's.

TEA is CHEAP  :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11089 on: May 22, 2018, 11:41:41 pm »
Very nice aircraft, boys. I so jelly.

The drone racing is too fast for my brain. It's like PS2's Wipeout on freebase speed. Personally, I'd love a RC PBY Catalina, but realistically I'd begrudge the amount of space it would take up. I'd do a very convincing job of the weathering, though but!  :D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #11090 on: May 23, 2018, 02:03:01 am »

I know Gil... he's a good guy. Spoke with him many times in the RaceFlight boards, before the big breakup.

I'm more of a freestyle guy myself; at least when I'm not crashing. This is one of my old acro rigs; kindof dated now, but it was the first build I did that turned out looking the way I wanted, and it took good pics. Haven't had too many since that looked near as nice, and the ones that turned out decent didn't stay nice long enough for a proper shoot. Most of my builds are either quick & dirty rebuilds or evolution type things that can take a while before I'm happy with the results.

https://youtu.be/joMRkTfhMAI

SkitzoFPV is the guy who got me into freestyle (and away from the ass-hat magnets known as DJI Phantom ;) ); you wanna subscribe to him (he knows EVERYBODY) and to Joshua Bardwell to get a crash course in pretty much everything Acro FPV.

I have a few planks, and I fly them FPV too... but that is just sport flying. The whole point for me is to BE the bird; not to watch some noisy speck in the sky.

mnem
Don't even get me started on CCPM Helis...

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 02:06:13 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11091 on: May 23, 2018, 06:58:26 am »
Excellent. Will look into that. I’m surprised at how much progress there is since drones first hit the market. I wrote them off a few years back as slow and expensive. Both of those are optional now :)

I’m good with the speed side of things. You can train your brain to think very fast with practice. Just don’t let it bitch slap you down at the first step. Most skill based persuits I have been involved in get boring once your brain gets used to them so I move on.

When I was going LAN parties years ago, our best Q3A player was 76 so there’s no excuse. He just had to stuff some pills down with his red bull and pizza.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #11092 on: May 23, 2018, 06:58:54 am »
That there box behind your head looks to be the sort in which seven segment displays made from sand reside, too...  Just sayin'.   ;)

-Pat

oooooops.   ya' caught me again.  hp 3466. 

my excuse is........ it has a 12v lead acid battery and is good for jobs in the field.

will be careful to pixelate non nixie units in the future lest you change my name to "7segmentfreq".

am watching an old cop show from the 80's on utube.  its called "the bill".  strange show.  they wear unusual uniforms, drive little clown cars, and never seem to get down to the job of slinging lead.  never saw philly cops behave like this back in the day.

LOL - no worries.  I have things with glowing red sand in them too.  Hell, in a few years I'll probably get nostalgic for seven segment LEDs (doubtless about the time they become nixie-like in their rarity) and start hunting for gear with them in it.  As far as LEDs go, my current soft spot is for the dot-style ones HP used in some things.  (The fluke in the first picture belongs to work, unfortunately - it's not mine...  :( )

HP 3490A

HP 8662A

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11093 on: May 23, 2018, 07:31:31 am »
Id say displays made out of individual LED dies are pretty rare to see.

The one piece of gear i got them is a Gogatronics 7100 Synthesizer. Not only are they individual LEDs but they are a full matrix and in green too. I would have guessed the little 8 character modules that build up this 16x2 display cost a pretty penny back in the day (On the lower model 6100 they removed one row to make it 16x1). I think they look amazing.

Oh and the blue 7 segment ones up there are VFD since back then blue LEDs have not been invented yet. Gigatronics used a deep blue color as there trademark so a lot of there gear has blue displays.

And i take no credit for the photo. Its not mine, just googled a good shot of the display on it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 07:34:31 am by Berni »

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11094 on: May 23, 2018, 09:23:14 am »

I would have thought a catapault was "more appropriate" technology.

Personally I'd like cat owners to clean up after their Toxoplasmosis Gondii dispersal machines. (T. Gondii has some interesting affects in living brains)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11095 on: May 23, 2018, 09:24:24 am »
Couldn't agree more. I'm the first person to hose the cats in our garden.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11096 on: May 23, 2018, 09:25:34 am »
Dynamic Soaring is a rush  >:D

My R/C fleet is Mainly Gliders but includes a bunch of Electrics including Heli's.

TEA is CHEAP  :palm:

Old aphorism #1: "If it floats, flies or f**ks, it it cheaper to rent than buy".

Old aphorism #2: "Q: What keeps airplanes in the air? A: Money".

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #11097 on: May 23, 2018, 09:39:53 am »
Back when I had true mad money I used to play World Championship campaigns in F3B. I have had $4k weekends in damage and I worked on $15k/year  :o

Time to look for a 3458A  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11098 on: May 23, 2018, 09:44:44 am »
Yep 4 grand is just about the ballpark for a HP 3458A  :-+

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #11099 on: May 23, 2018, 11:01:43 am »
Decided to put the B&K 2120 scope to use rather than put it in storage. I connected it into the audio system reminiscent of those fancy audio scopes sold back in the 1970's. Yea, it's campy and doesn't really serve much function other than to impress the unwashed masses with dancing green lines. They can enjoy display of discrete left and right channels (Pix 1) or the X/Y "fuzzball" display (Pix 2). Pix 3 is an overall view of the entire system.

Yep, I'm odd.  :-DD :-//
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf