Products > Test Equipment

Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread

<< < (22368/23991) > >>

Andrew_Debbie:

--- Quote from: Specmaster on January 21, 2022, 03:04:59 pm ---
Just wait till you need more electricity to charge your EV car as well. We are all being backed into a corner where we rely too heavily on means of power and I have no doubt that we all regret it.

--- End quote ---

I pay 5p / kWh to charge my car between 00:30 and 04:30.   This works out to about £0.013 per mile for fuel.    I set the dishwasher and clothes washer to run during this window too.     I'm thinking about getting a ~8kWh  battery for the house to shift more to the 5p rate.

The tariff is fixed until 31 October 2022.   After that it may change to 7.5p off-peak.  ]

The demand for CCGT  (power from natural gas)  is typically very low at night.  Most of it comes from Wind and Nuclear which sell into any market, pushing the cost down.

https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

TERRA Operative:

--- Quote from: Vince on January 21, 2022, 02:12:55 pm ---
--- Quote from: TERRA Operative on January 21, 2022, 08:12:36 am ---
--- Quote from: Vince on January 21, 2022, 02:32:47 am ---
--- Quote from: TERRA Operative ---Also, go unlock options if you have a GPIB-USB adapter! :D

--- End quote ---

I don't know what I can do via GPIB on this particular model scope ?
And I don't have a GPIB-USB adapter !  ... I have a REAL National Instrument ISA interface card and the MS-DOS and Windows 95 S/W to go with it !  8)
I  set up an old IBM Aptiva Pentium computer solely to be able to use a PCI  or ISA NI card.
Used it 5 years ago when I bought my TDS544A and wanted to clear the error log using a little S/W someone in the TekScope forum wrote.
Worked well. Then I had a bit of GPIB fun, see below !  :-DD

--- End quote ---

What a bobby dazzler! :D

If you can send arbitary commands to the scope via GPIB with your setup, you are set for unlocking options.

Follow these instructions: http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=enable-tds754d-options

You'll be able to enable options 1M, 2F, and 2C with no additional hardware. You have a floppy so option 1F is already enabled, I think 2F is enabled as standard on your unit?, and if you have the serial/parallel output board installed, you'll already have option 13 enabled too.
You can try option 2M, but it will only work if you have the extra RAM actually installed in your machine, that depends on model and serial number revision. You can try it and see if it shows 2M on the boot screen, if not, just revert it back and leave it at the 1M option.
2C might or might not work, I'm not sure on the 500 series scopes. I have all 600 and 700 series at the moment.

Option 05 requires the TV trigger board to be installed, and options 3C and 4C require the optical converter adapters etc. Not really useful unless you are doing optic fiber stuff anyway.

Also, take a look inside to see if you are lucky enough to have the hard drive option, and if you do, SELL IT TO MEEEEEEE!!!  ;D

I also have a spare serial/parallel board if you need it. :)

--- End quote ---

Thanks, message archived  ;D

According to boot up screen, I have options 13 1F and 1M.
I do have serial and  // at the back, floppy as you saw, and as for 1M memory option, IIRC when I looked into this years ago... it gives me 50K sample memory, a bare bone 544A apparently has even less than that.

I opened the scope up years ago when I fixed it, see pics below of the bottom and top boards.
No video trigger board nor HDD. Memory- chip wise, on the ACQ board, looks like it's 100% populated to me ?

--- End quote ---

Your ability to enable the 2M option will depend on the capacity of the RAM chips as well as how many is populated.

The easiest way to see is try to enable the option. These scopes will just not actually enable the option if it's not found during boot tests even if you tell it to.
I'm not sure if the scopes stall for a bit as they search for an option that isn't there, but I'd be sure to leave any non-working options disabled just to prevent any potential issues.

AVGresponding:

--- Quote from: Cerebus on January 21, 2022, 02:07:46 pm ---
--- Quote from: AVGresponding on January 21, 2022, 10:19:32 am ---
Why should I apologise for recognising a de facto situation created by someone else? I'm recognising the reality of the situation; you are just complaining that it isn't as it should (in your opinion) be.

You will not get a mortgage on a property where the wiring (if newly installed) does not meet the current wiring regs. You will not get public liability/fire insurance for your building if the wiring is not periodically inspected and found to comply with the regs (at the time of installation).
You may not get a mortgage on a property where the wiring, even if it complied with the regs at the time of installation, does not comply with the current ones; it depends a lot on the individual circumstances.

The situation that Robert outlined re PAT some time ago is not an argument against PAT, it is an argument against incompetent testers.

You may indeed, as the responsible person in a company/organisation, decide that certain items do not require testing. If you wish to avoid potential future prosecution by the HSE, you MUST provide documentation stating why this is the case. If you are/were wrong in your assessment, you are still going to be for the high jump.

FWIW I'm with Big Clive on the subject of changes to the regs, by and large. It has become a means to extort money, with the constant "improvements to safety" having long since passed the point of diminishing returns. Once upon a time we educated people not to stick metal objects into mains powered equipment to "see if it's working", like we once educated people to look both ways before crossing the road, and to use a crossing point if possible.

Nowadays it has apparently been decided that it's too difficult/expensive to educate people properly, and so make every situation as completely idiot-proof as possible. We all know where that leads...

--- End quote ---

You can bloviate as much as you like on the subject, but that doesn't alter the fact that these so called regulations are not regulations.

--- End quote ---

And resorting to ad hominem attacks doesn't alter the fact that while they may not be regulations in a dictionary definition of the word, getting caught in failing to follow them is likely to result in legal action.

Specmaster:

--- Quote from: Andrew_Debbie on January 21, 2022, 03:22:37 pm ---
--- Quote from: Specmaster on January 21, 2022, 03:04:59 pm ---
Just wait till you need more electricity to charge your EV car as well. We are all being backed into a corner where we rely too heavily on means of power and I have no doubt that we all regret it.

--- End quote ---

I pay 5p / kWh to charge my car between 00:30 and 04:30.   This works out to about £0.013 per mile for fuel.    I set the dishwasher and clothes washer to run during this window too.     I'm thinking about getting a ~8kWh  battery for the house to shift more to the 5p rate.

The tariff is fixed until 31 October 2022.   After that it may change to 7.5p off-peak. 

--- End quote ---
Just wait till the price hike in April, they are talking about price increases of at least 50% and even rumoured may be almost doubling the prices. By the time ICE cars no longer in the showrooms, the price per KW may be many times its current price. We are already paying around £220 per month for gas and electricity and in April we have been warned by our current supplier that is likely to go up by at least £100 on top of that so means we're looking at around £320 a month  :scared: My pension will be all gobbled up in just rent and energy, what food, rates, car TEA etc.

Mark my words, unless something is done soon, once there are more EV than ICE vehicles on the road, the prices of energy will skyrocket once again, because by then you will have almost zero choice and then the energy companies will have us all by the short and curlies. :rant:

Andrew_Debbie:

--- Quote from: Specmaster on January 21, 2022, 03:38:36 pm ---
Just wait till the price hike in April, they are talking about price increases of at least 50% and even rumoured may be almost doubling the prices.

--- End quote ---

My electric tariff will not be going up in April, because I drive an electric car.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version