Products > Test Equipment

Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread

<< < (22381/23992) > >>

mnementh:

--- Quote from: mnementh on January 17, 2022, 09:50:12 pm ---   And So... It Begins.   Pressed the eldest into service today; we did a little clearcutting in preparation for trying to build my workbench space in the dwagon-cave. ;)

First step once the clutter was hauled off is to get power situated with a GFCI outlet for my TE. 30 seconds into that and...    "Oh cheet, mang..."   A few more minutes of investigation revealed that the top outlet of the duplex is broken out and evidently switched from Ifni knows where the fuck all...

...and the lack of ground is evidently widespread and systemic (I can see at least 3 distinct "layers" of electrical work from different eras here), as pretty much every junction block in the basement with the same type of ROMEX run to it as that outlet looks like this.

FML.

mnem

--- End quote ---

And so... here I am, on the other side...   After several rounds of poking around dusty, cobweb-entangle floor joists and crawlspaces, I finally figured this crazy little bastard out. Originally I thought from the way the Duplex was wired that one outlet was switched from some effing place else in the house I just couldn't find. But after triple-checking the wiring to the side that did light up, I decided to pull these      grounding horrors apart and after testing with my trusty FieldPiece  HVAC DMM, I twisted all 4 grounds together to see if it resolved the open GND, which it did.

That immediately brought another head-scratcher; the other outlet now lights up but shows OPEN NEUTRAL.  :wtf:

After easily 30 minutes tracing out the other circuit, it finally dawns on me to test the effing outlet with my meter instead of just trusting my Noid-lights. Sure enough, damaged contact in the duplex. |O Please forgive the ridiculous suicide-cord test leads; they were the only thing I could get to clip on there for the pic.

So... remember kids; any time your handy-dandy xyz tester has you scratching your head... GET THE FUCKING METER!!! There is still no substitute for a good DMM and your brain!

But now comes a whole new misery: Each half of this duplex is connected to a different breaker. Thankfully, both on the same rail so no 240V differential, but I don't know of any GFCI outlet that'll do 2 circuits in one duplex. :o

I think I've had enough joy for one night; I'm going to bed.

mnem
 :=\

Zucca:
Congrats dwagon, continue to fix the world!

Yes those plugs go on their knees with time.... I do not like them.

Zucca:
On other news....

being a Total Commander user for years now, I am approaching a dramatic change....

ComEmu with Far Manager

fresh air for shitty windoz.....

PS: Russian software blows me away... I am missing some russian here.....

Robert763:

--- Quote from: mnementh on January 22, 2022, 03:10:04 am ---
--- Quote from: mnementh on January 17, 2022, 09:50:12 pm ---   And So... It Begins.   Pressed the eldest into service today; we did a little clearcutting in preparation for trying to build my workbench space in the dwagon-cave. ;)

First step once the clutter was hauled off is to get power situated with a GFCI outlet for my TE. 30 seconds into that and...    "Oh cheet, mang..."   A few more minutes of investigation revealed that the top outlet of the duplex is broken out and evidently switched from Ifni knows where the fuck all...

...and the lack of ground is evidently widespread and systemic (I can see at least 3 distinct "layers" of electrical work from different eras here), as pretty much every junction block in the basement with the same type of ROMEX run to it as that outlet looks like this.

FML.

mnem

--- End quote ---

And so... here I am, on the other side...   After several rounds of poking around dusty, cobweb-entangle floor joists and crawlspaces, I finally figured this crazy little bastard out. Originally I thought from the way the Duplex was wired that one outlet was switched from some effing place else in the house I just couldn't find. But after triple-checking the wiring to the side that did light up, I decided to pull these      grounding horrors apart and after testing with my trusty FieldPiece  HVAC DMM, I twisted all 4 grounds together to see if it resolved the open GND, which it did.

That immediately brought another head-scratcher; the other outlet now lights up but shows OPEN NEUTRAL.  :wtf:

After easily 30 minutes tracing out the other circuit, it finally dawns on me to test the effing outlet with my meter instead of just trusting my Noid-lights. Sure enough, damaged contact in the duplex. |O Please forgive the ridiculous suicide-cord test leads; they were the only thing I could get to clip on there for the pic.

So... remember kids; any time your handy-dandy xyz tester has you scratching your head... GET THE FUCKING METER!!! There is still no substitute for a good DMM and your brain!

But now comes a whole new misery: Each half of this duplex is connected to a different breaker. Thankfully, both on the same rail so no 240V differential, but I don't know of any GFCI outlet that'll do 2 circuits in one duplex. :o

I think I've had enough joy for one night; I'm going to bed.

mnem
 :=\

--- End quote ---

What's with the White to Black connection? has someone put a switch in a neutral?  :palm: :scared: 

mansaxel:

--- Quote from: mnementh on January 22, 2022, 03:10:04 am ---
And so... here I am, on the other side...   After several rounds of poking around dusty, cobweb-entangle floor joists and crawlspaces, I finally figured this crazy little bastard out.

<snip>

--- End quote ---

That would be SO "illegal" in that it violates the assumption of least surprise. Not illegal per se: I just spent some time reading the swedish law, and the by public administration released regulations, that are binding like law, just easier to change.  If you deviate from the Swedish standards (which are neither law, nor regulations) you must document how, why and when the deviation was made, and I guess you must motivate why.

A duplex outlet in Sweden, by design, never can be wired separately; there are bars connecting the two receptacles. A quadruple can, but it is frowned upon.

I would put up two quadruples (in boxes, not recessed), one per circuit, mark them as such and be done with it. That would be least surprising, which is a Good Thing. This being a rental, I'm quite aware of your hands being tied at times, but at least here, the responsibility of the contractor (by law! this is what the law mostly is concerned with) is such that they will sometimes be forced to perform corrective actions on electrical installations to be free of liability.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version