Products > Test Equipment

Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread

<< < (22400/25061) > >>

Specmaster:

--- Quote from: McBryce on January 23, 2022, 05:55:22 pm ---
--- Quote from: Martin Miranda on January 23, 2022, 03:01:12 pm ---not a test equipment. but long days ahead of repairing this gear. :palm:

--- End quote ---

What's with the gloves? I could possibly understand it if he was repairing a device with lead-free solder, but this is old school stuff and gloves just make everything more difficult. Is he trying to express his inner "Louis Rossman"?

McBryce.

--- End quote ---
I just find doing anything with gloves on is a real chore, so they only get used if there is a real health hazard.

Neomys Sapiens:
We did already discuss the tektronix T202 (the Tek mutation of the dreaded 'Createk Signalcomputer'. Here one is for sale:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/334302262229
Here it can be seen how Tek was able to offer the silly thing as 'battery operated'. They used a separate battery module (the black box in the picture). This was connected to the power input DIN (diode) connector instead of the regular power supply. The clear plastic part is both a desk stand and a front protector, depending on which way it is snapped over two hexagonal extrusions on the side of the case. Any time you snap it on or release it you fear for it's survival. But having compared it again on this occasion - the Tek implementation is wayyy better than the original one, but still crappy when compared to a 222.

Cerebus:

--- Quote from: Specmaster on January 23, 2022, 06:07:52 pm ---I just find doing anything with gloves on is a real chore, so they only get used if there is a real health hazard.

--- End quote ---

Ditto. But I'll add to that "yuck" factor or sticky factor. That is handling anything one would classify as "yucky" (like cleaning out the dustbin) or physically sticky. In the latter case doubly so if it's something like epoxy resin that won't just wash off with soap and water. If it's something that one can wash off quickly and conveniently I won't wear gloves. You cannot make marmalade without getting sticky mitts, repeatedly getting sticky mitts; I don't know how Paddington does it with all that fur. I lost count of how many times I rinsed my hands while making that marmalade.

Metaphorically I'm "a man who doesn't mind getting his hands dirty" but in fact I do hate getting my hands dirty. It's not the dirtiness per se that bothers me, but years of lab training and the like means that if my hands are dirty then I mentally flag them as contaminated and go around desperately avoiding touching other things, clothes, door handles, light switches until I've got them clean. This is how people with pukka OCD think, but unlike people with OCD I just need to wash my hands once and I'm a happy bunny again.

Vince:

--- Quote from: Neomys Sapiens on January 23, 2022, 06:18:19 pm ---We did already discuss the tektronix T202 (the Tek mutation of the dreaded 'Createk Signalcomputer'. Here one is for sale:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/334302262229
Here it can be seen how Tek was able to offer the silly thing as 'battery operated'. They used a separate battery module (the black box in the picture). This was connected to the power input DIN (diode) connector instead of the regular power supply. The clear plastic part is both a desk stand and a front protector, depending on which way it is snapped over two hexagonal extrusions on the side of the case. Any time you snap it on or release it you fear for it's survival. But having compared it again on this occasion - the Tek implementation is wayyy better than the original one, but still crappy when compared to a 222.

--- End quote ---

What a coincidence ! I sold mine this week !!

I bought it last summer for 30 Euros and sold it for 75 Euros in less than 48 hours, I was stunned !
I mean I didn't think I would be abel to sell it at all to be honest !

Well, OK it was  not Tek it was the Createc SC-04 but... it's the OEM after all... and it's 10MHz, T202 is only 5MHz IIRC... Tek didn't sell the 10MHz version it seems (according to Tekwiki...)

Anyway, it was fun but I quickly got bored with it... just too horrible and cumbersome to use... still targeting a Tek THS 700 series as a vintage portable scope.... I saw couple here for sale at under 100 Euros, but of course they escaped me, they got sold in about 10 seconds... only to reappear a week later at 750 Euros, their usual going price over here...

Neomys Sapiens:
Holding the DMMcheck in my hands, I am even less enamored towards its case. ESPECIALLY with the LC option board fitted, it is going to be a PITA to access the battery. And I dislike to handle that board even in the basic version without necessity. As a first measure, I'll make the screws captive by means of small half moon clips, so that the stack will stay alignend and none of the distance rolls can escape. Also, when set down, it would rest on the screws, not the board.  But I would still prefer a direct access to the battery.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version