Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14561842 times)

ch_scr, Peter_O, cncjerry and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #11200 on: May 25, 2018, 08:51:57 am »
In lieu of bring it up slowly on the scariac, I decided that I couldn't be arsed to drag it out so I donned suitable PPE (ear protectors and goggles) and fired it up. No explosions!
As these have a linear PSU the good ol' dim bulb tester works fine on them with 100+W bulbs.

I really should build one of them. To be honest I’m not sure if you can get incandescent bulbs here. I’m all LED and haven’t bought one for about a decade as EU have rightfully banned them. Not sure that helped as I just leave my LED ones on all the time instead of worrying about the electricity bill  :-DD
Yes you can get them on Ebay or at least, you could a couple of months ago because I got mine there. Or you pm me and I could send you a couple of mine?

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11201 on: May 25, 2018, 08:55:58 am »
That's neat, very similar to mine and I used a old pc psu case too.
That’s quite a nice bit of reuse that  :-+

Added to project list.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11202 on: May 25, 2018, 09:01:11 am »
You can indeed get them from eBay. Will order a couple later (I will blow one up) :)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #11203 on: May 25, 2018, 09:10:29 am »
You can indeed get them from eBay. Will order a couple later (I will blow one up) :)
I've never popped a incandescent bulb in the bulb tester......think about it, how could you ?
I do keep a few wattages 60, 100 and 150 and swap them around depending on what I'm working on.
There's no reason why you can't use 40 or 60W on many modern devices as they pull much less from the mains anyway. On older stuff you will need 100W or higher. IIRC a D83 wouldn't get going with a 100W bulb.
It's just some SMPS that don't like dim bulb supply like you wised me up on for that Philips CRO.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #11204 on: May 25, 2018, 09:18:55 am »
Any comments or insights for HP 54701A probe ? Especially for those we've experienced using it. TIA

I have the new version of that probe that works with the Infiniium smart probe interface. I love these probes. They are great for any high speed work with there very low parasitic capacitance. Just keep it away from things with 24V power rails and such in them as the input is supposedly quite fragile

Thanks for the noticing about it's sensitive input, btw, I'm not aware there is new vs old version, whats the different ?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11205 on: May 25, 2018, 09:23:17 am »
I've never popped a incandescent bulb in the bulb tester......think about it, how could you ?
I do keep a few wattages 60, 100 and 150 and swap them around depending on what I'm working on.
There's no reason why you can't use 40 or 60W on many modern devices as they pull much less from the mains anyway. On older stuff you will need 100W or higher. IIRC a D83 wouldn't get going with a 100W bulb.
It's just some SMPS that don't like dim bulb supply like you wised me up on for that Philips CRO.

I can use two bulbs in parallel ;)

Why buy one bulb when you can buy two for twice the price!  :-+

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11206 on: May 25, 2018, 09:25:33 am »
Yep, I expect you will, you know that you have to justify your pf name [emoji6]

Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11207 on: May 25, 2018, 09:30:45 am »
If anyone can pop a lamp in a tester then you just know that it's going to highly likely, that person will be bd139, he loves to smoke things. Hmm never seen a incandescent lamp smoke before, well that's not quite true, seen one smoke with its glass bulb broken to let air in [emoji48]

Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11208 on: May 25, 2018, 09:34:22 am »
They're quite easy to smoke. All you have to do is stick it across two phases on a three phase system, as our sparky did with a bus bar and a 240V drop a while back. Fecking eejit.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11209 on: May 25, 2018, 09:36:10 am »
They're quite easy to smoke. All you have to do is stick it across two phases on a three phase system, as our sparky did with a bus bar and a 240V drop a while back. Fecking eejit.
How the fuck did he manage that?

Who let Murphy in?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #11210 on: May 25, 2018, 09:36:30 am »
Yep, I expect you will, you know that you have to justify your pf name [emoji6]
I wasn't gunna mention them. Wondering if he only has one or are all ten (including thumbs) that way inclined.  :-DD

Smokey Joe bd139 !  :)

Ah so there are others similarly afflicted.  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11211 on: May 25, 2018, 10:03:27 am »

Thanks for the noticing about it's sensitive input, btw, I'm not aware there is new vs old version, whats the different ?

Its the 1152A
https://www.keysight.com/en/pd-1000000325%3Aepsg%3Apro-pn-1152A/active-probe-25-ghz?cc=US&lc=eng

Same thing pretty much except the power now comes from the smart probe interface pins. Great if you have a modern Agilent scope to use it on. But i seen people make adapters that inject power and passtrough the BNC over a bulkhead connector.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #11212 on: May 25, 2018, 10:26:11 am »

Its the 1152A
https://www.keysight.com/en/pd-1000000325%3Aepsg%3Apro-pn-1152A/active-probe-25-ghz?cc=US&lc=eng

Same thing pretty much except the power now comes from the smart probe interface pins. Great if you have a modern Agilent scope to use it on. But i seen people make adapters that inject power and passtrough the BNC over a bulkhead connector.

Ok, noted. The one I'm talking is older, as comes with separated power box HP 1143A and has big sized N type connector, looks like this :

(random search from Google)

Any experience with this older type ?

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11213 on: May 25, 2018, 10:47:23 am »

Ok, noted. The one I'm talking is older, as comes with separated power box HP 1143A and has big sized N type connector, looks like this :

(random search from Google)

Any experience with this older type ?

The actual probe end looks the same and has the same specs so its most likely the exact same probe with a different connector on the end. Some scopes have that power connector built into the front panel so that you don't need the separate box. But the power connector is standard so you can buy it and make your own power supply.

From memory the new version runs from +/- 6V and +/- 12V for power.

Tho this having an N connector makes it more useful on spectrum analyzers, but anything with a 50 Ohm input impedance will work (1Meg will NOT work right) on this probe.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11214 on: May 25, 2018, 11:16:09 am »
Heathkit AC voltmeter arrived. Hermes didn't knacker it. First inspection shows excellent construction, however the transformer is not in a good state as one of the tap terminals is dangling. Not sure I will be powering it up without replacing that transformer.

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11215 on: May 25, 2018, 11:24:46 am »
Hope it doesn't have a bunch of strange voltages like the transformer in my keithley electrometer had. I ended up replacing just the dead winding with a whole separate transformer.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #11216 on: May 25, 2018, 11:35:13 am »
The actual probe end looks the same and has the same specs so its most likely the exact same probe with a different connector on the end. Some scopes have that power connector built into the front panel so that you don't need the separate box. But the power connector is standard so you can buy it and make your own power supply.

From memory the new version runs from +/- 6V and +/- 12V for power.

Tho this having an N connector makes it more useful on spectrum analyzers, but anything with a 50 Ohm input impedance will work (1Meg will NOT work right) on this probe.

Yep, the documentation provides the power details on it's pins, it use lemo connector.

Yep, it will be used at spectrum analyzer, besides my scope only maxed out at 400MHz, a boat anchor Tek 2465B.  :P

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11217 on: May 25, 2018, 11:39:13 am »
Yep, the documentation provides the power details on it's pins, it use lemo connector.

Yep, it will be used at spectrum analyzer, besides my scope only maxed out at 400MHz, a boat anchor Tek 2465B.  :P

It would work nicely with the 2465B's 50 Ohm input, though, if you ever need it to.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11218 on: May 25, 2018, 11:41:59 am »
Hope it doesn't have a bunch of strange voltages like the transformer in my keithley electrometer had. I ended up replacing just the dead winding with a whole separate transformer.

Nah it's straight dual winding 24v.

However it appears that both the regulators are fucked. It's kicking out 57v across both rails instead of the expected 40v. Hopefully this isn't enough to blow up the log converter IC.

Could be a lemon this one.

Edit: double fuck. If I snip the links after the regs it's kicking out 76V across the rails.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 11:43:58 am by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11219 on: May 25, 2018, 11:49:11 am »
That IC is likely to well toasted then. Is it still available?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11220 on: May 25, 2018, 11:50:53 am »
Yeah but it ain't cheap!

Think I found the root cause: one of the filter caps is shall we say, incinerated inside the can.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11221 on: May 25, 2018, 12:01:57 pm »
Ok regulators are shot, caps are shot, half the diodes are shot in the power supply.

So I bypassed the power supply, which is neatly possible due to two links on the board, and chucked a bench power supply on it.

And you know what? It only still works perfectly. I am extremely surprised!

It pulls a monster current of 40mA per rail and the supply appears not to require tracking so I'll just knock up a LM317/337 type supply, stick and IEC socket and fuse holder on and rip the old ICs and caps out. Phew!

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #11222 on: May 25, 2018, 12:27:29 pm »

It would work nicely with the 2465B's 50 Ohm input, though, if you ever need it to.

Thanks, yes, I'm aware of that, but for now mainly I will be using it to find & probe spurious oscillation directly at the board level using this probe + spectrum analyzer.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11223 on: May 25, 2018, 12:52:31 pm »
Ok regulators are shot, caps are shot, half the diodes are shot in the power supply.

So I bypassed the power supply, which is neatly possible due to two links on the board, and chucked a bench power supply on it.

And you know what? It only still works perfectly. I am extremely surprised!

It pulls a monster current of 40mA per rail and the supply appears not to require tracking so I'll just knock up a LM317/337 type supply, stick and IEC socket and fuse holder on and rip the old ICs and caps out. Phew!
Shows how good the original design was if it survived that amount of overvoltage, even if they were a little bit quirky in areas, I like my couple of Heathkit item's and there is still loads on offer.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 05:29:50 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11224 on: May 25, 2018, 01:01:56 pm »
I'm guessing that he was getting on a bit and was forgetting the new three phase colours use black for a phase and blue for a neutral. We used to have them reversed, so a coloured cable used to mean a live cable and black was always nuetral. I always thought it was a dangerous move to change our colouring system.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 01:03:46 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf